Viewing Unread Posts

Gougeon 1st MRB

Question

Is there any way that the activity tab for unread can be set to show only stuff that has happened since I last logged in right now it keeps showing me the same stuff every time I log in so i cannot find new posts. I am have a lot of trouble navigating the forums and finding new posts.   also is there a friends list i can click on peoples names to message them like in the old forums? I cannot find a message button for my regular messaged people.

7 answers to this question

No worries, that's why we made this section of the forums!  I'll lay it out for you, with pictures:

First, find an editable activity stream, like this one: http://www.1stmarineraiders.com/index.php?/discover/unread/

Right under the title of the stream (above all the recent posts) there click the dropdown option that says "Edit this stream"

editstream01_zpssayhthcg.png

You'll get a bunch of stream settings like this

They're all a little self explainatory, but I'll point out the important ones:

#1 Lets you choose why kind of content you want to see, Content items only are just Forum Posts, but if you want to see comments and reviews of non-forum content, you would pick that one instead.  It will show avatar changes, profile comments, etc.

#2 Lets you choose if you want to see everything and anything that meets the rest of your selections OR just the content you haven't read yet.

#3 Lets you set a time period to display.  Any time = Everything since the beginning of time, Since my last visit = everything since you last logged in, or you can set a number of days, or even a range of dates with an end date (e.g., if you wanted to see everything from July 2015)

Then once you've set up what you want to see, click "Update Results."  And/Or if these results are something you want to see regularly, click "Save as new stream" (#4)

When you save a new stream, you come up with a title (e.g. Yama's Stream) and then click "Create Stream."

If it's a stream you want to look at every time you're on the forums, you might want to set it as your default by clicking the checkbox next to it:

editstream04_zps1t6mfd8k.png

You can always tell which stream is your default by the green check icon:

editstream05_zpshicuatm4.png

As you mess around with saving streams and changing settings, you might want to refine (or widen) your results, you can always click on the "Edit this stream" option again to make changes to your stream preferences or rename the stream:

editstream08_zpsxylk5qgw.png

Or if you're done with the stream, remove it!

7 minutes ago, Gougeon 1st MRB said:

Is there any way that the activity tab for unread can be set to show only stuff that has happened since I last logged in right now it keeps showing me the same stuff every time I log in so i cannot find new posts.  I am have a lot of trouble navigating the forums and finding new posts.   - It doesn't look like I can change the search settings for that (as far as I can tell) you do have an option that says "Edit this stream" that lets you change which results you get, you would probably want to change the Time Period to the "Since my last visit" option and if you only want to see posts/topics you haven't read then you'll have to change that to "Content I haven't read."   If it's still looking like you're missing posts, expand the Content from "Content Items Only" to "Content Items, comments, and reviews"

also is there a friends list i can click on peoples names to message them like in the old forums? I cannot find a message button for my regular messaged people.  - They removed the "Friends List" in this new forum and replaced it with "Following," which really only let's people follow each other to get notifications of new content from them.  If we're itching for the return of a Friends List, I can look to see if anyone has made a plugin for me to install.

22 minutes ago, Gougeon 1st MRB said:

Is there any way that the activity tab for unread can be set to show only stuff that has happened since I last logged in right now it keeps showing me the same stuff every time I log in so i cannot find new posts. I am have a lot of trouble navigating the forums and finding new posts.   also is there a friends list i can click on peoples names to message them like in the old forums? I cannot find a message button for my regular messaged people.

I don't have that problem.  I click every link and read or scroll through it.  Then I click new posts and its gone.  Try clicking site as read if you are not going to do that.

2 hours ago, J. Hill 1st MRB said:

I don't have that problem.  I click every link and read or scroll through it.  Then I click new posts and its gone.  Try clicking site as read if you are not going to do that.

I do not read every post I look through and read the ones that are of interest to me. right now it shows a weeks worth of posts.

Hmm, have you tried editing one of the other activity feeds?

Like this one: http://www.1stmarineraiders.com/index.php?/discover/unread/ ?

Then remember when you get it the way you like (or as close as you can), save it as a new stream, then you can set it to your default stream so that you can easily access it by clicking the main Activity Tab, rather than searching through the available streams.