Closed - Demo Playback Crash

Kabasares

Question

Name: Kyle Kabasares

Type of issue: (Not sure)

Brief Description of Issue: Whenever I try and playback certain demos they end up crashing on me.

I can maybe get a few hundred ticks in, and then all of a sudden, the game crashes with a hl2.exe has stopped working notification, bringing me back to my desktop. I'm not sure if it's steam, dods, or the demo itself, so here's a demo that crashes about two seconds into it when I watch.

***Medical Supply Staff ONLY Below this line***

Current Status: Closed

Main Technician:

Supporting Technician:

Edited by Holland 1st MRB

18 answers to this question

Just tried playing it in mine, crashed within seconds. SO, tried a different demo, worked fine. Deduction concludes that the demo itself is corrupted. Now the question is WHY? Do us a favor; record a quick new demo and post it up here, let's try another one out and see if we can at least exclude the possibility that ALL your demo's are becoming unplayable, instead of the possibility that maybe it was just this one, then can check this pal.dem one out more and see if we can figure what went wrong : )

Just to keep others up to speed (been talking to Kaba on steammsg), we have tried 5 different demos on 3 different maps. 2 of them, recorded our own server, crashed, along with 2 of my own demos on our server; regardless of what map it is on. Had no time to dump the console log before it crashed (am trying to do so again). HOWEVER, one recorded on another server had no issues. Deduction would assume that it is an issue with our server, so am going to record some on another server and see if I can replicate the problem elsewhere. Welcome to any other ideas if I'm forgetting about something.

edit: ok tried a 4 minute long demo on 1stRB server, no problems. Tried a 4 minute long demo on OUR server, crashed in a few minutes. Something is amiss in our server : ( Can another MSO guy try recording a demo in our server and see if you get similar issues? Leave it running for a bit, like 4 minutes, and then play it back, see if it crashes.

Edited by T. Brown 1st MRB

So got one of Small's demos from yesterday, our server, crashed at 2:22 every time I played it. Condump from it revealed nothing, but a condump from of mine that crashed had this right before.

Requesting texture value from var "$bumpmap" which is not a texture value (material: maps/dod_colmar/wood/woodfloor00_808_736_184)

Requesting texture value from var "$bumpmap" which is not a texture value (material: maps/dod_colmar/wood/woodfloor007a_c17_808_736_184)

However, none of the other demos had any similar errors before crashing, AND this error occurred a few times before the crash (so it is either on my end, and/or not related to the crash itself. Plus, I've never heard of a texture file crashing a demo before.

Again, this issue does not happen when demo on any other server, only ours, and is not just Kaba and/or me, but also Cpl Small experienced the crash too.

I'm out of resources at this point to check against but I think I've eliminated most variables that this could be client side.

A texture skin shouldn't crash a demo , you'd just have a missing patch , unless you're missing large amounts of them

Yea, that's what I thought too. Talked to Hall and we've come to the conclusion it's a server issue so I messaged the appropriate parties and we'll see what they can say. I'll post anything else I might be able to figure out here, like ways to record demo but not have it crash at the very least, but for now...let's see what they say.

This there anymore about this issue because it is still happening, i tried watching browns demo of the aimbotting hacker he banned, i was able to watch enough to see that he is right but i wasn't able to watch more than 30 secs without my game crashing

This there anymore about this issue because it is still happening, i tried watching browns demo of the aimbotting hacker he banned, i was able to watch enough to see that he is right but i wasn't able to watch more than 30 secs without my game crashing

Brown has determined that it is a problem with our server itself, and has informed the appropriate people.

We will continue to research the problem to the best of our ability, but somebody like Yamagata or Parker (or others with FTP access to the server) may be far more successful as they have access to the files directly.

Hopefully we can bring this problem to resolution soon, and we will be sure to keep this topic up-to-date.

Due to lack of progress on our own, we have opened a few Steam support tickets about this issue. Unfortunately, it has been a full month since some of the Steam support tickets were put up, and there has yet to be a response.

We are still working on this issue, and will keep you posted.

Due to lack of progress on our own, we have opened a few Steam support tickets about this issue. Unfortunately, it has been a full month since some of the Steam support tickets were put up, and there has yet to be a response.

Any response yet Holland because the issue still persists? My demos still won't allow playback upon recording.

Any response yet Holland because the issue still persists? My demos still won't allow playback upon recording.

Holland got a response which basically said it was on our end somewhere. That said, I'd rather keep it out of a forum that others can read for the moment on what is going on, and there is a method to take demos on our server that is a bit convoluted and a pain in the ass, but it works.

That said, if anyone wants to know the story on this, just PM me and I'll tell ya what's going on....but for now, the problem persists but we do have a way to record demos on the pub to catch people.