I hate my job

Parker 1st MRB

I love apples. And cats. And dogs. And you. *HUGS* :lol:

Damn! Checkmate good sir.

I wish I had a job. Sitting in C++ class glazing over while listening to the lecture about Pass-By-Pointers... You get paid to be bored, I have to pay to be bored.

That's deep, you should be a philosophizer.

Edit: HOLY SHIT! Philosophizer is actually a word? The people who make up words think like me? My god run for the hills people.

Yea... Working at BestBuy isn't exactly the most fun job either. Oh you don't know how to set up a TV? Why don't you come to my place of work and yell at me because you're too stupid to run a channel scan? Oh yes. What's that Customer Service? Customer Service, you're going to open up a brand new $3000 Samsung 8000 LED TV to take out the 3D glasses without even asking me to fix the existing ones first? Oh yes please do that. Oh and the old glasses work just fine so now I have to sell the TV at a open item price? I didn't see that coming!

Well, this may make you feel better.

I've got my degree and moved to take a shit job at a call center so my wife could get her Master's Degrees (and then I will get mine). I've lasted 4 years in an industry with 100% turnover. Here is how my time has gone:

Hired

Promoted 82 days later

4 months go by - told entire department of 300 is moving to another vendor.

Apply to other places like mad.

Get a new position within the company. For a little bit more money!

Trainer position opens up. Get it! For more money!

Trained for a year plus.

Subject Matter Expert job opens up. Get it! For more money!

3 months go by. Get told entire department going away. Took demotion for Trainer money.

3 months go by. Get told entire department going away. Took demotion for Agent money. Back on the phones.

10 months go by. Get told entire department going away. Got a supervisor job! Money back up a little bit.

Now, this whole time... I work with people who, for the most part, lacked either the intelligence or wherewhithal to graduate high school, let alone go to college. They are mostly sub-literate, uneducated folks who want an easy, temporary job. Herding cats would be a pleasure compared to this job. At this point, I hope I get laid off.

But, the light at the end of the tunnel.... wife got a job, making 1.5x what I make. I get to go to grad school!

I work at a facility on the edge of a corporate park with no windows owned by a company in Boston with data servers full of billions of dollars worth of financial information. Retinal scanners. cameras upon cameras, card readers and numerous contingency plans such as two back up generators, backup coolers and chillers for all the servers, plus I get video feed from other sites in Tokyo, Singapore, London, etc etc. And no company run block on youtube, fb and the likes. Only thing I have to worry about is people coming up to the door and asking "What is this place?" me: "A building." person: "What does it do I mean?" me: "Keeps me sheltered." and they usually leave aggravated. Pretty laid back job, except when the security chief in Boston starts fucking with my camera's. (Security in Boston has the ability to control our cameras and the facility remotely)

My other job is Supervisor/Lead installation technician in the Travelers insurance building in Hartford. Basically I supervise 3 Mexicans in doing installations during after hours.

Well, I finally got a new job - and it's a pretty sweet gig.

Troubleshoot PC things, play with the latest & greatest server side technologies, play darts whenever I want, listen to music with other tech-audio-philes who have similarly good taste in music and get to leave the office occasionally to troubleshoot our clients that need on-site help.

However, I'm only in week 2 of my 90 day trial period. Some have not made it past here, some have made it only marginally further. This guy told me when I got hired "I have no problem firing people within days of hiring them - I'm the owner. I'm not PC, and I'm not a fucking social butterfly. I pay you to do work, so that's what I expect, I'm not your friend - I'm your boss. I find it takes me firing about 10-11 guys before I find 1 good one, and I've already fired 2."

We'll see. If I make it, I get 100% covered health insurance, 100% dental and a company phone (whatever the new droids are). We shall see, it's tough though - because we're working with brand new technologies from Microsoft and such... so even if I google I find very little helpful information and mostly have to figure it out (which is made even tougher because the boss won't let me play with the control panels to some of this technology so I'm essentially flying blind and making educated guesses as to the fixes).

I work at a grocery store.

If that isn't bad enough, my direct boss is a 49 year old racist black guy who thinks everything I say has racial undertones, and has even gone as far as to accuse me of being racist. All I said to him one day was, "Hey George, we could do this a lot faster if we did it this way instead of the way we currently do it."

His reply? "You are like every other white man, you think just cause I'm black I'm an idiot who can't do my job."

My smart ass response? "No, I think you're an idiot because you're an idiot, the fact you are black is just a coincidence."

He didn't like that too much.

Other than George though, my job is actually pretty nice. I work literally a mile from the beach, the girls that shop in our store make time go by faster. It's a pretty laid back environment for the most part. Island Life, as they say, is always more enjoyable.

I'm a recent college graduate with a degree in Government and International Politics, currently stuck in the west Pacific being a gofer for my family. I have no job prospects, my parents don't give a bloody damn and I'm willing to believe they want me to become a gofer for them instead of finding a job, and I can't prep for the Foreign Service Exam because I really can't over here.

What flavor of linux?

Most of the big distro's are almost identical to Windows these days... Suse, Fedora, Ubuntu, etc. Their installers and stuff make getting stuff from the repositories really nice.

I'm learning Slackware :-D I've gone command line crazy!

If I'm not mistaken, most HP servers run a custom HP Unix-based OS.