Thinking of building a new rig

Korda

Question

Hey, so if anyone could point me in the right direction, I'm thinking of upgrading. The computer I have currently is definitely in need of replacing, and I was wondering how I might build my own with a rather limited budget.

My current build is:

Windows 7 Home Premium 32-Bit

Pentium IV 3.2GHz Single-core processor

2GB RAM

NVidia GeForce 8400 GS

Optiarc DVD RW AD-7203S ATA disk drive

Turtle Beach Riviera PCI 5.1 Sound card

2 Internal HDDs; a 300GB and a 150GB one

I have no clue what motherboard I am running, although I am certain that were I to upgrade my processor, I'd outstrip the mobo. I am also unaware of what power supply I have right now.

Unfortunately, I have a really tight budget, approximately $500 at the most. Any help in boosting my potential is greatly appreciated. Thanks, guys!

Edited by Korda 1st MRB

19 answers to this question

I want to start over completely and build a new computer, saving whatever components and as much money as I can. I assume that my HDDs, disk drive and sound card can be reused, but I'll need a new mobo if I upgrade my processor and a new graphics card and more RAM are also desirable.

I would highly recommend you wait a bit.

Nvidia just realeased their 680 video card and its freaking awesome. Low power usage, high fps, and cheaper than AMD's. Wait for their mid-range.

Intel is releasing their Ivy Bridge processors soon. However, they aren't a huge improvement. So, when they come out, buy a Sandy Bridge i5 or so. The prices will drop a bit on them and you'll be pleased.

I would highly recommend you wait a bit.

Nvidia just realeased their 680 video card and its freaking awesome. Low power usage, high fps, and cheaper than AMD's. Wait for their mid-range.

Intel is releasing their Ivy Bridge processors soon. However, they aren't a huge improvement. So, when they come out, buy a Sandy Bridge i5 or so. The prices will drop a bit on them and you'll be pleased.

was about to say that, wait a bit

No matter how much I save up, I'm also planning on studying abroad through my university next spring, so I'm appropriating lots of money toward that, as well as spending money for the summer and first semester next fall. Therefore, my budget is somewhat fixed, unfortunately. But depending on how much I have by the end of the summer, I might be able to shift more to the "PC Reconstruction Fund," lol.

No matter how much I save up, I'm also planning on studying abroad through my university next spring, so I'm appropriating lots of money toward that, as well as spending money for the summer and first semester next fall. Therefore, my budget is somewhat fixed, unfortunately. But depending on how much I have by the end of the summer, I might be able to shift more to the "PC Reconstruction Fund," lol.

If you know what your budget is, we can start there now. Also, if you are studying abroad, won't you need a laptop? The cool thing about stuff today is that gaming laptops are really starting to rock.

Well, I've always been a desktop guy. Monitor upgrade potential, more fluid component upgrade system, etc. Also, as far as the studying abroad, I'll be bringing my netbook, but not planning on gaming at all until I get back home. Therefore, I want to get a beastly new computer for the fall semester, leave it at home for the spring one, and then binge next summer. My budget is/will be (by the end of the summer) anywhere up to $600. Any more and I'd eat into college/study abroad money.

Edited by Korda 1st MRB

For $600, you have some tremendous options.

Can you reuse any of the following:

Case (is it a name brand like Dell/HP or something like an Antec or CoolerMaster?) and what size is it?

Power Supply (make and model would be a huge help, along with watts)

Is it a full sized DVD drive you have?

How about your monitor? What is the resolution and is it an LCD and widescreen (16:10 or 16:9 is pretty much user-preference)

For $600, you have some tremendous options.

Can you reuse any of the following:

Case (is it a name brand like Dell/HP or something like an Antec or CoolerMaster?) and what size is it?

Power Supply (make and model would be a huge help, along with watts)

Is it a full sized DVD drive you have?

How about your monitor? What is the resolution and is it an LCD and widescreen (16:10 or 16:9 is pretty much user-preference)

Monitor: Acer 20" 16:9 Widescreen.

DVD Drive: Yes, it's a full drive.

Case: Make is eMachines, I would presume it's a full sized case; Model number on the PC is eMachines W3623.

PS: I think my power supply is the same one that came with my computer. Don't know how to look up what it is. Is that in the Device Manager or something?

I would think that I can reuse the DVD drive, at the very least. The case is not superb, not a whole lot of ventilation. As I've said before, my mobo needs to be upgraded in order to get a new processor (which is the primary focus of my upgrade). Likewise, I think I'll have to get a more efficient power supply.

As far as my monetary ability goes, I'd prefer to spend less than $500, but $600 is my absolute limit. I anticipate the mobo/processor being the most expensive part of this whole process.

Here's some random bits that add up to under $500.... lets see what Dillon yells at me for putting in the list......

List of bits

I assumed you could save your case, and from the look of it that's an mATX case, so no ATX boards for you. I also assumed you might need that IDE adapter to pick up your existing drives.... it looks like that machine would have had IDE (PATA) drives, not SATA.

Honestly? You might just want to try saving your cash during your study abroad.

Think about it - take that $600, set it aside in a savings account or something - earn some interest on it while you do nothing with it - then when you come home you have more money than you started with and can get a rig with even more up-to-date components instead of components that will already be a semester behind the curve.

Also, by the components that would have been more expensive now, will be cheaper - meaning a better rig for you all around (and more money to spend on it!)

Thanks for the suggestion, Captain! I hadn't really thought of that, I kind of wanted to have the upgraded rig by the end of the summer and use it over the Fall semester, leaving it behind for the Spring. Waiting for the summer after studying abroad would make much more sense. I suppose we should shelf this conversation for a year. :P

Thanks again for the great help, guys!

*Salute*

I'm thinking that by "next spring" you meant 2013, not 2012.... in which case waiting a year to buy a pc so that you can get more up to date parts seems silly. the argument that new stuff will come out and current stuff will get cheaper is always true, might as well argue that you should wait 5 years because by then quantum computers might be economically viable and these classical computers will be way cheaper.....

I'm thinking that by "next spring" you meant 2013, not 2012.... in which case waiting a year to buy a pc so that you can get more up to date parts seems silly. the argument that new stuff will come out and current stuff will get cheaper is always true, might as well argue that you should wait 5 years because by then quantum computers might be economically viable and these classical computers will be way cheaper.....

I'd say that's excessive... 6 months seems like a reasonable time to wait. Even 1 year if the upgrades and price reductions will put a GREAT machine in his home rather than a 'moderate machine' that will be dated by then. He'll have more money for better things - just takes a bit of time.

I don't see the failure in that logic... but... it is what it is.

Hey guys. I noticed this topic is closed, but I wanted to update the info, if possible.

I am definitely interested in building a new computer in May/June, and I am reevaluating my budget. I am also definitely studying abroad in England next semester, so currently my money is all focused on that. However, I don't anticipate spending 3K while I'm abroad, so I should have a sizable budget on my return in mid-May.

Is this list that Lafy made a while back still relevant? http://secure.newegg.com/WishList/PublicWi...Number=26661928

I was also thinking of trashing my current case, it's too small. I hate the ventilation on it, total crap. It heats up way too easily. Therefore, I'm adding in a case to the list of needed parts. I was looking at this one, as it comes with 5 fans and is really cheap. http://www.amazon.com/APEVIA-Mid-Tower-Cas...pd_sim_sbs_pc_1

Recently I upgraded from my NVidia 8400 GS to the 9500GT, and this pushed my power supply to the limits, so I removed my DVD drive. Using an external USB one now, so the drive is still no issue.

All in all, I am really excited to build a new computer, but wanted a reevaluation on the parts I can get for cheap (600-750$ budget MAX). Thanks, guys!