Elder Scrolls Online

Bickford

A while back Bethesda released this cinematic trailer, "The Alliance"

They've followed it up with this (still cinematic) trailer, "The Arrival"

My thoughts whether or not you want them:

I'm a sucker for cinematic trailers, even if they don't show any real gameplay. I loved the Star Wars: Old Republic cinematics, Return, Deceived, and Hope. But 14 minutes of blurry 720p that doesn't even feel 720p? Come on Bethesda, step up the game.

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...

I was going to give it another go this weekend to see the changes in place. I launched the beta, only to find myself unable to log into my account. I did a password reset on the website, which sent me an email exclaiming "Success!" "Excellent," I thought, "I should have no issues now." Lo and behold: I attempted to log-in, only to be confronted with another exclamation of incorrect password. I went back to the website and tryed to log-in with my shiny password. "Incorrect password!" My machine screamed. "I'll best you yet," I replied "I can do another password reset!" Little did I know, the website wouldn't allow me to do another reset, and advised me to contact support instead. And so my attempt at playing the beta fails, after downloading 30 gigs for the launcher, as it can apparently not just use the old launcher, it has to re-download the game.

To clarify, I did contact support, but I doubt they'll have remedied the situation before the end of the beta, especially on a Sunday.

Edited by Kirkendall 1st MRB

• 3 weeks later...

So I tried it again this weekend. Hot damn, I was impressed. I take back a lot of what I said in the former complaints, they seemed to have unveiled a lot of their refining. The combat was no longer clunky for me. Last time, I tried a Nord Dragon-dude-thingy, which was kind of a tank class.. This time I did a Breton spell-shooty-guy for a taste of the mage. Breton in ESO are in a different faction than the Nords, so I played in a different starter area than my previous play. Immediately I noticed a great improvement in the graphics from last time, even just in the tutorial area (where everyone starts). They are definitely embracing their art-style now, animations were much more smooth and there was quite a bit of additional ambiance added.

I could go on for a bit on the improvements. But I think I'm going to throw my lot in with this one and take it for a go. They may be exploiting my hankering for a new MMO, but I'm digging it.

• 4 weeks later...

I think I may just be insane, but wouldn't owning Skyrim constitute a free jab at elder scrolls online? Why should i buy another copy? Granted multiplayer was never promised, do they not use the same engine, textures, etc? Thats a genuine question. Remember the days when games would have all sorts of crap crammed into them? (ie) Rush 2 with a track that was the freaking offices of Midway? I am not trying to knock this game as i loved Skyrim, but is it really diff? I am really not sure, please educate me.

Edited by Downs 1st MRB

I think I may just be insane, but wouldn't owning Skyrim constitute a free jab at elder scrolls online? Why should i buy another copy? Granted multiplayer was never promised, do they not use the same engine, textures, etc? Thats a genuine question. Remember the days when games would have all sorts of crap crammed into them? (ie) Rush 2 with a track that was the freaking offices of Midway? I am not trying to knock this game as i loved Skyrim, but is it really diff? I am really not sure, please educate me.

No, they are not using the same engine. Skyrim uses the Creation Engine, which was created from the Havok engine specifically for use with Skyrim. When they announced ESO, people thought they would use the Hero Engine (used in Star Wars: The Old Republic), as Zenimax purchased that engine and licensed it. Instead Zenimax, in Zenimax fashion, made a new custom graphics engine for only ESO. It's important to note that while both of these games have the same publisher, Bethesda, they do not have the same developer. So no, they are not two of the same game.

They are exceedingly different games in many different ways, from graphics to UI to quests to lore. Zenimax hasn't quite kept in canon with the rest of the Elder Scrolls games, but that's to be expected. It's an MMO, so there are inherent differences in how MMOs work. Much of the content is PVP related, with a guild experience, matchmaking, the potential for seige warfare, and much more. There's still PVE content that you wouldn't get from a single player game, in the form of endgame "raids" or even earlier group quests. While Zenimax attempted to get a somewhat similar feel to Skyrim in the form of combat, there are stilll significant differences.

To shorten a essay that I can continue writing, it's an MMO. That's what it boils down to. If you haven't played a game with a persistent world in the way that MMOs create it's a difficult experience to explain. But they are very different games with some similar ideas behind them.

This game looks just pure awesome! Watching streams on Twitch just to see how the PVP are, and it looks amazing.

But that doesnt matter if the game sucks in the late stages and the in the final lvl area. Just look at Age of Conan, Rift, starwars etc. They all were awesome in the early lvls, especially Conan. I dont think ive ever played a better game, not even a singleplayer game that would match the early lvls at Tortage(beginner island). But after you got to lvl 40 it started to suck, few quests and there wanst even endgame raids implemented. Hopefully this game will be better :D

I think I am going to give this a shot, even though I picked up playing Project 1999 (Everquest before Sony ruined it) again and have been loving it. I have always loved the Elder Scrolls games, especially Oblivion and Skyrim.

Whats your name on P99? I've got a 50 something druid and a 50 something shaman on there. I'm in Bregan de Aerth guild. I haven't played in a long time but I've been wanting to go back. Velious should be coming out soon.

• 3 weeks later...
I think I am going to give this a shot, even though I picked up playing Project 1999 (Everquest before Sony ruined it) again and have been loving it. I have always loved the Elder Scrolls games, especially Oblivion and Skyrim.

Whats your name on P99? I've got a 50 something druid and a 50 something shaman on there. I'm in Bregan de Aerth guild. I haven't played in a long time but I've been wanting to go back. Velious should be coming out soon.

Little,

Sorry took so long to respond I got a 29 Mage named Horatius and a host of other characters, mostly below 10 except for a 12 Wizard named Ronaf. Btw Bregan de Aerth peeps are awesome, always helping out newbies

Edited by Candy 1st MRB

• 2 weeks later...