2013 Baseball Season Thread

Parker 1st MRB

I would hate to be an intermediary here. However this is a baseball topic.... Not an argument thread. And yeah ok. I made a joke. I don't like the blue jays. I don't like a lot of teams. My allegance belongs to the Yanks. Wether the weather is fair or we are having a rough season, it does not matter. I was born a Yankee fan and I shall die a Yankee fan. Now we can all agree that we love baseball. So let us leave this thread for talking about the highs of the baseball season instead of team bashing. And yeah I am not blind. I criticize other teams as well. However, I try to back up my critizism as best I can.

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I wasn't talking about Dickey when i made that comment, i was talking about the catcher, who was clearly having trouble. Im very aware he won the Cy Young as a knuckleballer, and am a fan of him because of that. But i had to hear guys on the radio talk all off season about how the blue jays are gonna win the world series, and i hate that kind of shit. and YES i did hate it when they were saying it about the Red Sox too, because no one knows better than a Red Sox/Cowboy fan how much those high expectations jinx a team.

And we don;t always agree with the moves out teams make. i DID hate that the Red Sox thought they could try their hand at Yankeeism, (sorry kang :P) by buying gonzalez and crawford. That was Theo Epstein's attempt at leaving the ball club in a good situation after he went to the Cubs to try and make history. I was very proud of them for having the balls to get rid of Josh Beckett and those big contracts that were weighing us down.

We've totally changed our ball club around, and the Red Sox are starting to go in a direction away from big contracts. That's what they did all this off season, short term, low money deals, as they should.

Im not just choosing to attack the Blue Jays out of the blue. Kang brought up other divisional rivals, so i threw in a topic starter about the blue jays. I didn't bring up payrolls Parker, you did. i brought up overhype. We will see where it gets you this season. And if at the end of the year i have to eat my words, so be it. Thats the way the game goes. In the mean time, i look forward to our first series against y'all on friday.

But to digress again, just like the rest of you, im just too ecstatic to know that my team will be playing tonight. Another good showdown between the Sox and Yankees, Bucholtz vs. Kuroda. Lets see if the Bronx Bombers' bats can wake up tonight Kang ;)

To turn over a new leaf, can someone explain how fantasy baseball works? Football is easy enough to understand because its a weekly game. Do you score points per week? Do you play an opponent each week or is it more like a final tally of points at the end of the season?

To turn over a new leaf, can someone explain how fantasy baseball works? Football is easy enough to understand because its a weekly game. Do you score points per week? Do you play an opponent each week or is it more like a final tally of points at the end of the season?

You play an opponent each week and the winner is determined by fantasy points earned. Fantasy points are gained from stats like HRs, RBIs, hits, SB, W, Ks, complete games, etc...

Even though you're not in the league I think you might be able to see our league (not sure): Try this link

Anyways, Day 4 of the MLB today and I can't wait to see how Jake Peavy is going to do against KC. I've got him on my fantasy team so I'm hoping he does well and continues what he did last year. It sucks that Yu couldn't get that last out yesterday, I love how he had a smile on his face kinda suggesting that he wasn't that upset about it. I honestly didn't think he was going to do amazing this year, Hudson you might have gotten an extremely good pitcher this year in the second round of the draft :lol:

Oh yes. I predicted Yu would have a break out season. I was so upset he didn't pull off the perfect. But congrats to him for taking it in stride.

And anyone who plays the astros should be excited. 43 k's in a 3 game series. Yikes.

I think a Perfect Game should be worth more than 20 bonus point in pitching. I mean, a save is 15. You should just get like 200 points for a perfect game, almost guaranteed to win that week, because how often does it happen :P

Gonna be a fun season gents. And I think Toronto will be fine. Just will take some time to gel.

I think a Perfect Game should be worth more than 20 bonus point in pitching. I mean, a save is 15. You should just get like 200 points for a perfect game, almost guaranteed to win that week, because how often does it happen :P

Fair enough I increased it to 50 pts. 200 is too much, you don't want one pitcher to decide the week for someone.

Well. My Rangers laid an egg on day 1.

But Yu takes the mound tonight and will be filthy I predict.

Long season yet.

And I think my fantasy team will suck, rough start.

Its funny to read after he almost pitched a perfect game, good call there

Good game tonight eh Parker? I thought it was a good back and forth battle the whole way through. I was thinking about something tonight, i want your opinion on. As a Blue Jays fan, how do you feel about Farrell and him leaving?

P.S. who the fuck is gonna play SS for the Yankees now? Nunez went down with i guess an arm contusion? after getting hit by a pitch. man the yankees are starting off the season lookin like the red sox last year, with all those injuries

Good game tonight eh Parker? I thought it was a good back and forth battle the whole way through. I was thinking about something tonight, i want your opinion on. As a Blue Jays fan, how do you feel about Farrell and him leaving?

P.S. who the fuck is gonna play SS for the Yankees now? Nunez went down with i guess an arm contusion? after getting hit by a pitch. man the yankees are starting off the season lookin like the red sox last year, with all those injuries

Casper Wells. Shoot, throw Ichiro in there. That dude can do anything.

Casper Wells. Shoot, throw Ichiro in there. That dude can do anything.

Anyone is better than Nunez...... He is just awful when it comes to fielding.

Well 2 of our key batters are injured and aren't playing, Jose Bautista and Brett Lawrie. Those are some big bats out of the lineup. Overall not too bad of a game, Reyes kicked ass last night and he's continuing it today. I'm loving those Farrell chants the fans are doing at the Rogers Centre :).

As for Farrell, for a former pitching coach he really doesn't know how to handle the bullpen/starters very well. No one really holds Farrell in high regard here in Toronto, he doesn't have the greatest instincts as a manager but that could be because he's new to it.

Farrell got his dream job in Boston and we got our dream team in Toronto.

*EDIT*

I just saw what happened to Lackey. That sucks, you never want to see someone get injured especially after they come back from tommy john surgery.

Well 2 of our key batters are injured and aren't playing, Jose Bautista and Brett Lawrie. Those are some big bats out of the lineup. Overall not too bad of a game, Reyes kicked ass last night and he's continuing it today. I'm loving those Farrell chants the fans are doing at the Rogers Centre :).

As for Farrell, for a former pitching coach he really doesn't know how to handle the bullpen/starters very well. No one really holds Farrell in high regard here in Toronto, he doesn't have the greatest instincts as a manager but that could be because he's new to it.

Farrell got his dream job in Boston and we got our dream team in Toronto.

*EDIT*

I just saw what happened to Lackey. That sucks, you never want to see someone get injured especially after they come back from tommy john surgery.

So you don't really harbor any hatred for him? He got some serious boos last night.

Yeah i had alot of hope for Lackey, he's never really performed in Boston and i was hoping this season he was gonna finally show up. Man honestly i think that might be it for him for a little while, i don't think he's ever really gonna come back to form, but we'll see what the injury is. He was having a great start too, except for the homerun haha but 4 1/3, 2 ER, 8 Ks. Ill take that any day, except a little longer next time haha.

Happ is kickin our ass today, you know we've only got one hit? =| What happened with Ricky Romero? They keep talking about him getting sent down?

Happ is kickin our ass today, you know we've only got one hit? =| What happened with Ricky Romero? They keep talking about him getting sent down?

Ya Ricky is probably the only pitcher in a long time who got sent down after being the #1 starter for the same team the year before. The Blue Jays management is sending a message, you won't get any special treatment if you're not performing to your abilities. J.A. Happ was outstanding in spring training so they decided to go with him as the 5th starter this year. They've built this team to win now and they expect results, Ricky has not been getting those results for some time now. I think it was the right move right now, but I also think Romero is most definitely a Major League pitcher. He'll be back in The Show soon enough, I have faith he'll get his mechanics back on track.

I don't like Farrell, but I don't hate him. Like I said, he's not held in high regard here in Toronto and thats why there were a lot of boos. He essentially deserted the Jays with a year remaining on his contract to go get his "dream job". The reason why I don't entirely hate him is because I somewhat understand where he's coming from, but at the same time I don't like how he went about it and neither do fans in Toronto. If I was at the Rogers Centre I'd boo him too.

J.P. Arencibia may not be able to catch a knuckle ball, but man can he hit some bombs.

Justin Upton fits in nicely in Atlanta, the guy hit 2 homers tonight. That Braves outfield is deadly.

Kershaw with another solid start, I hope he keeps it up and gets another Cy added to his Young career (see what I did there :P )

I know what you mean Zorbo.

I am a huge Rangers fan and was watching that last night and couldn't believe it either. The umpire's zone was fairly tight all night as well.

I'll take it, but we definitely got a gift to get out of that game like that.

Tonight we get to see what our 5th starter can do. It's definitely a crap shoot.

Actually, it was pretty consistent with the ump's zone all night. Don't get me wrong, its a bad call. But the framing by the catcher and the tail end movement really make it look more egregious than it is. There is a great article at fangraphs by Jeff Sullivan on this. Great animated gifs and ss's to break it down.

Anatomy of a really bad call.

Yeah i saw that play live when it happened, im amazed it ended up being that serious.

Luckily for me, John Lackey only had a bicep strain and should be back in action soon

Also, really interesting article Dillon. I say this kind of thing happens all too frequently, however i cannot offer a remedy for the problem. Some guys on the radio here in Dallas were talking about having an umpire have a device in his ear that signaled balls and strikes, which was linked to a sophisticated pitch tracker. Personally, im against that sort of a system, however there MAY be room for a replay system on game ending pitches like that that are in dispute. Using a football term, there is indisputable evidence on the video that the pitch in question was a ball. Perhaps that sort of ruling could be applied in baseball? Thoughts?