Official Stanley Cup Playoffs

Englebretson 1st MRB

While I'm not surprised hit got suspended, I don't think it's the right call. I don't see Gryba as being that opportunistic. It seems to me that he was just lucky that the puck went Eller's way. I get the feeling that Gryba was already lining Eller up for an open ice hit except that eller turned around to look at where the puck was at the wrong time.

An no, the sheer size difference of some players will make it impossible to get those kinds of hits out of the game (even if you make all hits to the head illegal). So, sadly, this was just a case of wrong place at the wrong time. Diaz's pass just made it one that became a bloody mess. Otherwise Eller would have just taken a hard hit to the upper body and Gryba would likely have gotten 2 mins for interference. I still say that Gryba was aiming to do an open ice hit on eller.

Sigh. MaxPac and the captain out too.

Price is going to have to outplay anderson tonight.

• Replies 215
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That's BS, I'm sorry but those angles that they mainly used are ones that don't tell the whole story. Illegal check? He made contact with the body and the head at the same time!

Listen to Kerry Fraser (a former senior referee in the NHL for almost 40 years), Aaron Ward, Michael Peca and hear what they had to say about the hit.

EDIT: Wow Mike Peca said he should have punched him in the face like I said he should LOL!!!! Great minds!

That's BS, I'm sorry but those angles that they mainly used are ones that don't tell the whole story. Illegal check? He made contact with the body and the head at the same time!

Listen to Kerry Fraser (a former senior referee in the NHL for almost 40 years), Aaron Ward, Michael Peca and hear what they had to say about the hit.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/83qHq-RgEGM?rel=0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

EDIT: Wow Mike Peca said he should have punched him in the face like I said he should LOL!!!! Great minds!

While I do agree about the additional discipline and the punch to the face, I have to say that Fraser totally missed the boat on this one. The physics that he's talking about is impossible. For Gryba to have hit with his hip first would make his vertebrae the most flexible one EVER. If you lower your shoulder the way he did, then physiologically, it would be leading the hit (unless he was sticking his waist out with his back arched) so not sure how he can say "shoulder lowered" and "initial point of contact was the hip" in the same breath. The only BS here is that they're trying to sugar coat the fact that Gryba screwed up with a hockey hit that sadly contacted the head first (however unintentionally) and lead to a really unfortunate result.

In reality, Shanahan's analysis of the hit is 110% bang on and he showed the same angles as the TSN crew but with better breakdowns. But the thing is that rule 48 doesn't differentiate between intentional or unintentional so the leeway was there to assess the supplementary discipline.

You want to know what's BS? The fact that if you intentionally try to hit the head but no injury occurs, it's not disciplined (e.g. the headshot on Brown that you talked about Parker). It's those kinds of hits that should be charged with 10-20 game suspensions regardless of consequence. When you make an obvious motion to decapitate someone with the elbow, there's no way you can defend that as anything other than malicious.

And, yeah, that JVR goal was a beaut (but I think homerism is biasing you to possibly consider that as goal of the year Parker). Glad to see TO make a series of it again.

Here's the thing, Gryba made contact with the body and the head at the same time (it's important to note that). If he was aiming for the head, he would've been standing up straight. Gryba positioned his body so that he was leading with his hip and not his shoulder. That's a clean hockey hit in my mind and in the minds of people who know a lot more about hockey than you or I. Shanahan and his team made their decision and many don't agree with it including me, but what's done is done. I think if Eller didn't get hurt there wouldn't have been a suspension, the fact that there was blood probably put pressure on Shanny to do something. I agree with you that intent needs to be a suspendable offense as its the main reason for head shots in the league.

Haha ya JVR's goal wasn't the goal of the year, I was just drunk on both alcohol and optimism when I said that yesterday.

And Panda I have a question for you, do you like that bug-eyed fat walrus?

LOL - Prust was such a good addition to the team. The Walrus did a lot with what he had (losing top 3 players for either most or some of the season) but to blame it on Diaz on-air was stupid. He could have just let it go at 'we haven't looked at any replays so, while it was an unfortunate result, I don't think I can comment on the hit at this point". Instead, laying the blame on Diaz just makes him look bad (even if the pass was bad and stupid, the pass didn't make Eller a bloody mess on the ice, his guy was).

Just watching the Islanders / Pens game now. Can't believe it's 2-0 fishermen.

I guess your kane in a box sort of worked lol. Now you just need toews in a can.

btw greatest game i ever saw....Ottawa vs Montreal....today. It was freakin hilarious. Subban was yelling at his team mates. Everyone was fighting. Like 8-10 players got ejected. One of the montreal players at the end slap shots the puck attempting to hit one of the ottawa players....this game was just unique and funny as all can be. Watch it if you ever get a chance.

Edited by Mamora BAR

Ya it was a highly entertaining game, I like how MacLean called a timeout with 17 seconds left in the game and up 6-1. I think he's the greatest (not biggest) troll in the NHL, he does things that some might view as classless and others view as badassery. Babcock has taught him well.

Bourque and Prust should get at least 1 game suspensions for targeting Conacher's head. Talk about intent to injure....

No kidding Parker. The entire game was Montreal attempting to injure Ottawa players. The head hit, the slap shot, subban was cussing out peccoriety, whoever did the slap shot to hit the ottawa player cussed out the referee too. Ottawa had it out for Montreal as well. The fights were completely one sided and Ottawa made a fool out of the Montreal players until Subban got pissed and knocked the crap out of someone.

I've never seen a more unique and entertaining game than that one by far. This has definitely been a great weekend of hockey. Best goal ive ever seen, Remsdyke....best game ever...ottawa and montreal lmao.

Btw didnt Gonchar get hit in the head too? I've lost track through all the crazyness.

The post game interview with the Montreal coach was funny. He was like "ive never seen something like this before" in regards to the entire game and the timeout at the end. I was laughing so hard.

Edited by Mamora BAR

http://covervote.nhl.com/#/ballot

be sure to vote for the NHL 14 cover so we dont have to deal with Engle bitching if Sharp ends up on the cover. Kane, Datsyuk, Lupul, Malkin, or Riemsdyk would be good.

I've never bought an NHL game before, but i tried the demo for 12 and it was pretty good. I herd 14 is gonna be awesome so im definitely gonna give it a shot for PS3.

Edited by Mamora BAR

THE BRUINS ARE IMPOSING THEIR WILL.

I've only been watching the game here and there and it just seems like Toronto is playing sloppy tonight =[

Yeah, i was just trolling the homer Bruins commentator that said that during their first game when Redden was scoring.