2014-15 NHL Season

Englebretson 1st MRB

who's ready for the playoffs?!!??!

i think its been a great season overall with lots of entertaining storylines. i am interested to see if teams like the islanders and lightning can take the next step and make noise. crazy that calgary has kept winning all year and the runs minnesota and ottawa have had recently. (though im not sure ottawa will make it)

personally, i just want to see some new teams in the later rounds. pretty sick of boston, chicago, pittsburgh, los angeles, etc.

my stars are all but eliminated so i will get to just watch. my former team the wings might make it but they have been falling apart lately.

• Replies 191
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

who's ready for the playoffs?!!??!

i think its been a great season overall with lots of entertaining storylines. i am interested to see if teams like the islanders and lightning can take the next step and make noise. crazy that calgary has kept winning all year and the runs minnesota and ottawa have had recently. (though im not sure ottawa will make it)

personally, i just want to see some new teams in the later rounds. pretty sick of boston, chicago, pittsburgh, los angeles, etc.

my stars are all but eliminated so i will get to just watch. my former team the wings might make it but they have been falling apart lately.

Boston and Pittsburgh are getting worse and worse every year. This year Pittsburgh went for a tougher team but now they have less skill on the wing and they take way too many penalties. Boston is getting older and they aren't filling the void with new prospects like they use to, losing two really good defensemen like Boychuk and Ference hurt them a lot. Chicago and LA will still be in mix until they lose their core group of guys on either team. With the salary cap not going up next year, that might happen to Chicago again but I doubt it. I really hope Winnipeg can sneak in over LA and take them out of the playoff picture (both teams are currently tied with 90 pts).

If I had to make a playoff prediction right now, I would say New York Rangers vs. Anaheim Ducks in the Stanley Cup Finals, but I reserve the right to change my mind before the start of the playoffs :)

It's surprising to see a stars fan, good to know there are people who support them.

Boston and Pittsburgh are getting worse and worse every year. This year Pittsburgh went for a tougher team but now they have less skill on the wing and they take way too many penalties. Boston is getting older and they aren't filling the void with new prospects like they use to, losing two really good defensemen like Boychuk and Ference hurt them a lot. Chicago and LA will still be in mix until they lose their core group of guys on either team. With the salary cap not going up next year, that might happen to Chicago again but I doubt it. I really hope Winnipeg can sneak in over LA and take them out of the playoff picture (both teams are currently tied with 90 pts).

If I had to make a playoff prediction right now, I would say New York Rangers vs. Anaheim Ducks in the Stanley Cup Finals, but I reserve the right to change my mind before the start of the playoffs :)

It's surprising to see a stars fan, good to know there are people who support them.

just been a stars fan for a year. after following the wings for almost 20 years, it was time for a change. i was sick of their obsession with over the hill vets and refusing to play young players. additionally, jim nill went from the detroit front office down to dallas, and started bullding a nice team with the seguin and spezza trades. also geography played into it. being in tulsa for a couple years now i was ready to start following a team that wasnt across the country!

how are the leafs looking? as i think you noted in another post they cant seem to figure out if they are rebuilding or not. doesn't seem like they have much in the pipeline, do they?

how are the leafs looking? as i think you noted in another post they cant seem to figure out if they are rebuilding or not. doesn't seem like they have much in the pipeline, do they?

Well the current affairs for the Leafs are as follows:

(In order of importance)

1. Hire a well respected coach how can help young players develop properly.

2. Trade any big contracts they can for picks, prospects, and veterans.

3. Building a team on the ice starts from the net out. Trade either Reimer or Bernier because they both think they are starting goalies which doesn't help team chemistry. Keep a starter and find a backup.

4. With the 4th overall pick, they'll draft Dylan Strome who is a center they desperately need. If somehow Noah Hanifin falls to #4 then they might pick him up for the defensive core.

5. Get veterans. With all these picks and prospects about to come in there needs to be some kind of leadership there that can show them how to be professional hockey players and not be like Kessel.

Of course this whole list changes if by miracle the Leafs get the #1 pick in the draft and get Connor McDavid. If that happens, the amount of celebration in Toronto will make the Vancouver riots look like a tea party.

Pshhh. Vancouver Canucks vs. New York Rangers all the way. Just so Vigneault can lose to his old team.

Pshhh. Vancouver Canucks vs. New York Rangers all the way. Just so Vigneault can lose to his old team.

Keep dreaming guys. Wild over Rangers 4-2 with Stepan and McDonough defecting midway through the series to the Wild.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

That stick save Mrazek made was ridonculous! I hope the Lightning beat Detroit in game 7, the time of Red Wing dominance is over. Gratz on the Wild winning their series, seems like there's gonna be a lot of changes in St. Louis this year. Hitchcock is definitely gone which means that's another coach available for the Leafs to pick up: Hitchcock, Babcock, McLellan, Bylsma, Tippett, and Julien. All big names there but knowing my Maple Leafs they will probably take some random AHL coach.

• 4 weeks later...

definitely gives reason for hope. i think babcock is definitely a top 5 coach. as a reforming wings fan i am certainly familiar with him. i would say the main gripe i had with him with the wings is that he definitely played favorites with players. certain guys would get chance after chance only to keep failing while others would make 1 mistake and be forever in the dog house. and not that its necessarily his fault, but at times he seemed to be totally out of sync with holland in terms of players. a few years back they signed tootoo to a 3 year deal and babcock never played him. its like they didnt consult each other. who knows who was at fault though.