Resolved - Looking to build a gaming computer

Perrone

Question

To cut it short, my current computer, a Qosmio laptop, is getting old and starting to have difficulties even after a lot of maintenance and re-installing windows/drivers. So, I'm looking to build a gaming desktop computer. I've got around $1,200 that I can spend on it, and with black Friday and cyber Monday coming up, I figure it's the best time to go looking for the parts. I'm not asking for sales, just asking at retail, what will work with $1,200, and I'll go find the sales. I'm looking for a computer that will be fast, but will be able to handle the new games that will be coming out this up-coming year, as well as the past.

I know I'm cutting it close with it being this week, but I've been busy with personal and family stuff. Thank you ahead of time.

11 answers to this question

I run a refurbed ASUS G75. 2GB of GFX, 6GB RAM, i7. I picked mine up for $900 + tax + ship off NewEgg.

Runs all games pretty well, the most graphics intensive game I ran on this is Metro, on medium.

They have different versions of the G75 with different RAM, OS, HD, and maybe GFX. Worth taking a look at IMO since I got a killer deal on my G75.

If you're looking for another laptop, I suggest the Lenovo IdeaPad Y510p. I just bought this laptop a few weeks ago and it runs all of my old games perfectly, as well as BF4 on high/max settings very smoothly. It's $1,100 at first but if you purchase the laptop off of the Lenovo website they always have free E-Coupons that can save you an insane amount. I only spent $850 on mine from their site, and currently their deal is $760. Only downside is that is comes with Windows 8 on a non-touch screen, but it's something you get used to. I haven't had any problems with any of my games so far. Great bang for your buck on gaming laptops if that's what you're looking for.

http://shop.lenovo.com/us/en/laptops/ideap...0131126202735:s

Can you please answer a few questions?

Do you need peripherals such as a monitor, keyboard, mouse, speakers in that budget?

Do you need software such as Windows, Microsoft Office, anything else, in that budget?

Let me know and I'll put together a parts list.

I have a mouse, and headphones, but I'll need a monitor and a keyboard; I was thinking of using my laptops Window 7, though from what I've read, I'll have to install Vista first then "upgrade" to Windows 7, and I've got the 2003 MO. But if I can't use my laptops Windows 7 version, I might just want to invest in purchasing one... hopefully with the new sales up, I'll be able too buy one cheap.

Lafy's build looks pretty top-rate for the specified price range, though note that the SSD he listed is a 2.5" mount. The case he listed will not support that.

You will need a 3.5" HDD (as that is your preference), something like this. Swapping the SSD Lafy suggested for the one I have linked should bring your final price around $1167.90

Edited by Holland 1st MRB

Alright, well my brother advised me to check out PCpartpicker.com to check to see if everything meshed well together. Well, turns out that the original RAM that you advised was 1.6v, where as the processor is 1.5v, which you guys probably already know would be a bad idea. And the case wouldn't work out well as it doesn't have the openings for the USB 3.0 ports that the ASRocker motherboard has.

Anyways, here's what I've got so far: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/2a2cu

I've also changed to a 750W power supply instead of the 600W, just in case I decide to expand later on.