Closed - New job = new tower.

Viktor

Question

For all of you computer guru's out there, are the following specs good for the price that I would pay for a gaming tower (that includes a free mouse and keyboard).

*BASE_PRICE: [+645]

BLUETOOTH: None

CAS: Apevia X-Sniper 2 w/ USB 3.0, Large Side Panel Window [-2] (Black Color with Green LED [+0])

CASUPGRADE: None

CD: 24X Double Layer Dual Format DVD+-R/+-RW + CD-R/RW Drive (BLACK COLOR)

CD2: None

COOLANT: Standard Coolant

CPU: AMD FX-6300 3.50 GHz Six-Core AM3+ CPU 6MB L2 Cache & Turbo Core Technology

CS_FAN: Default case fans

FA_HDD: None

FAN: AMD Certified CPU Fan & Heatsink [-20]

FLASHMEDIA: None

FREEBIE_VC2: None

HDD: 2TB (2TBx1) SATA-III 6.0Gb/s 64MB Cache 7200RPM HDD (Single Drive)

HDD2: None

HEADSET: None

IUSB: Built-in USB 2.0 Ports

KEYBOARD: AZZA Multimedia USB Gaming Keyboard

MEMORY: 8GB (4GBx2) DDR3/1600MHz Dual Channel Memory [+37] (Corsair or Major Brand)

MONITOR: None

MONITOR2: None

MONITOR3: None

MOTHERBOARD: ASUS M5A97 LE R2.0 AMD 970 ATX w/ GbLAN, 2 Gen2 PCIe x16, 2 PCIe x1, 2 PCI [+10]

MOUSE: AZZA Optical 1600dpi Gaming Mouse with Weight Adjustable Cartridge

NETWORK: Onboard Gigabit LAN Network

OS: Microsoft® Windows 8.1 (64-bit Edition) + Office 365 FREE 30 Days Trial

OVERCLOCK: No Overclocking

POWERSUPPLY: 350 Watts - 350W Power Supply

RUSH: Standard processing time: ship within 2 to 3 weeks

SERVICE: STANDARD WARRANTY: 3-YEAR LIMITED WARRANTY PLUS LIFE-TIME TECHNICAL SUPPORT

SOFT1: McAfee AntiVirus Plus 2014 [+0]

SOUND: HIGH DEFINITION ON-BOARD 7.1 AUDIO

SPEAKERS: None

TABLET1: None [+0]

TEMP: None

TVRC: None

USBFLASH: None

USBHD: None

USBX: None

VIDEO: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 650 1GB GDDR5 PCIe 3.0 x16 Video Card [+15] (Major Brand Powered by NVIDIA)

VIDEO2: None

VIDEO3: None

WNC: None

Final price $685 before 3 day shipping, $709 after.

If this new job goes down without a hitch, a new computer tower will be my very 1st buy out of everything else that I need.

***Medical Supply Staff ONLY Below this line***

Current Status: Closed

Main Technician:T. Heresy

Supporting Technician:

Edited by Holland 1st MRB

14 answers to this question

For the best bang for the buck (at the same price), this system seems like it is little better. Better CPU and more cores and a better video card. It does only have a 1TB hard drive though versus 2TB of the other, but IMO that is minor and a new hard drive can be added easily if needed. It also comes with Windows 7 versus Windows 8.1 which may be another plus depending on how you look at it :D

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...N82E16883220445

General Spec

Brand

ASUS

Model

M51BC-US002O (90PD00C1-M00130)

Type

Student/Home office

Form Factor

Tower

Usage

Consumer

Processor

AMD FX-8300 3.3GHz

Processor Main Features

64 bit Eight-Core Processor

Cache Per Processor

8MB L3 Cache

Memory

8GB DDR3 1600

Hard Drive

1TB 7200RPM

Optical Drive 1

24x DVD-RW

Graphics

AMD Radeon HD 8760 1GB

Ethernet

Gigabit Ethernet

Power Supply

300W

Speaker

USB Mouse

Keyboard

USB Keyboard

Operating System

Windows 7 Home Premium

Special Features

Free Far Cry3 Blood Dragon Gift Card

Motherboard

Chipset

AMD 970

CPU

CPU Type

AMD FX-Series

CPU Speed

FX-8300 (3.30GHz)

L3 Cache Per CPU

8MB

CPU Main Features

64 bit Eight-Core Processor

Graphics

GPU/VGA Type

AMD Radeon HD 8760

Memory

Memory Capacity

8GB DDR3

Memory Speed

DDR3 1600

Form Factor

DIMM 240-pin

Hard Drive

HDD Capacity

1TB

HDD RPM

7200rpm

Optical Drive

Optical Drive Type

24x DVD-RW

Audio

Audio Channels

8 channels

Communications

LAN Speed

10/100/1000Mbps

Front Panel Ports

Front USB

2 x USB 2.0

2 x USB 3.0

Card Reader

16-in-1 Card Reader

Back Panel Ports

Rear USB

4 x USB 2.0

2 x USB 3.0

RJ45

1 port

Expansion

External Bays

2 x 5.25" Bays

2 x 3.5" Bays

PCI Slots (Available/Total)

2 x PCI-e x1

1 x PCI-e x 4

1 x PCI-e x 16

Mouse

Mouse Type

USB Mouse

Keyboard

Keyboard Type

USB Keyboard

I think that it is a pretty good deal. I was not able to match it based on the Nvidia video card and the 2TB hard drive when I was searching. Since you prefer Nvidia it seems the best route to go at that price point IMO.

It sounds like you are looking for a pre-built system though right?

Edited by Heresy 1st MRB

There are many advantages to building the computer yourself though Viktor. You get to pick what you want in certain things like video card or processor. I personally am a big fan of Intel processors and Nvidia video cards but that's just a preference of mine. I had a friend that built an AMD computer and it had a lot of processor bottlenecking that held back the potential of the computer.

Building your own or purchasing pre-built both have advantages. Depending on your skill and comfort level, building a system offers the advantage of getting the exact components that you want. A pre-built system offers the assurance that all the components will work together and a comprehensive warranty. Also a pre-built system can sometimes offer a cost advantage versus the individual components, which also includes a legitimate Windows OS. The caveat of the pre-built is that some components may not be what you want or sub-optimal.

If you have the time then building a system has its own rewards but going with a pre-built is a fine option as well.

I hope everything works out with the job!

Personally, I would avoid any 8-core processors. There simply aren't any applications that use that many cores. In addition, compared to Intel processors, AMD processors of similar specs have lower benchmarks and are less power efficient.

Edited by Wyatt 1st MRB