RIP Phillip Seymore Hoffman

T. Brown 1st MRB

Great actor... Shitty human being...shooting heroin at 46 and leaving behind 3 small children.

Cmon now, you don't know this. Drugs can make even the greatest people on earth do dumb things.

Just playing devils advocate, I'm sure he was nice enough but it is irresponsible for a father of small children his age (where the risks associated multiply with age) to be shooting hard drugs. I guess the verdict of accidental overdose or a deliberate suicide attempt will exonerate him. I will agree though it was pretty dumb as his acting was superb. My heart just goes out to his kids that will only know their father by his acting...and and such won't know their father as he was portraying someone else. :(

Edited by Lloyd 1st MRB

Great actor... Shitty human being...shooting heroin at 46 and leaving behind 3 small children.

Cmon now, you don't know this. Drugs can make even the greatest people on earth do dumb things.

Just playing devils advocate, I'm sure he was nice enough but it is irresponsible for a father of small children his age (where the risks associated multiply with age) to be shooting hard drugs. I guess the verdict of accidental overdose or a deliberate suicide attempt will exonerate him. I will agree though it was pretty dumb as his acting was superb. My heart just goes out to his kids that will only know their father by his acting...and and such won't know their father as he was portraying someone else. :(

I can't say I disagree with any of this, but of course I WANT to :P I just know from personal experience that drugs can warp a mind, so it is hard for me to judge a man I didn't know based off his final mistakes. Selfish actions, definitely.

I was and still am a very big fan of the guy.

I don't care about any of the work he could have done.

As a father, it tears me up that this guy who had all of the privilege and money his career could offer, wasted it at the end of a needle. I know all of the people that will say "well drugs are horrible", and that is true.

If you have an addiction then don't fucking have children. He has destroyed his children's lives. He probably has been causing them pain for a long time and now the final death blow (literally and figuratively)

I know the next argument is "how can a junkie have the common sense to not have a family"? Apparently his addiction did not cloud his movie choices and his ability to work and put out Oscar nominations (2 since his relapse) as well as his directorial debuts in Sundance. I don't know but my heart aches for his kids that he chose Heroin over them for.

Sometimes Life SUCKS!

JP

Edited by O'Gara 1st MRB

I was and still am a very big fan of the guy.

I don't care about any of the work he could have done.

As a father, it tears me up that this guy who had all of the privilege and money his career could offer, wasted it at the end of a needle. I know all of the people that will say "well drugs are horrible", and that is true.

If you have an addiction then don't fucking have children. He has destroyed his children's lives. He probably has been causing them pain for a long time and now the final death blow (literally and figuratively)

I know the next argument is "how can a junkie have the common sense to not have a family"? Apparently his addiction did not cloud his movie choices and his ability to work and put out Oscar nominations (2 since his relapse) as well as his directorial debuts in Sundance. I don't know but my heart aches for his kids that he chose Heroin over them for.

Sometimes Life SUCKS!

JP

Well said :)

The guy was sober for like 23 years, you guys have no clue about what kind of father he was, or any idea of who he was in his private life. Addiction is complicated, and to point the finger at a dead man is unproductive and disrespectful. It's not your place to judge.

RIP Mr. Hoffman, you were truly a great actor. Almost Famous and Capote are two of my favorites of his.

The guy was sober for like 23 years, you guys have no clue about what kind of father he was, or any idea of who he was in his private life. Addiction is complicated, and to point the finger at a dead man is unproductive and disrespectful. It's not your place to judge.

RIP Mr. Hoffman, you were truly a great actor. Almost Famous and Capote are two of my favorites of his.

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/WzY2pWrXB_0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Not to make this a flame war or anything, especially since I respect you very much Giraffe. We can know what type of father he was and who he was in private life, based solely on his actions. He was separated from his long time partner and his children due to the addiction. He in fact missed picking up his children that morning. His missing that pick up was the genesis of his partner asking a friend to check up on him. Shooting up all night (even if he did not die) is surely not the type of "father of the year" behavior. 50 packets of heroin in your apartment with kids coming over? I completely agree addiction is fucked up.

It is not disrespectful or judging to say his life was wasted and that the pain he caused his children will haunt them for the rest of their lives. It is simply the truth.

Edited by O'Gara 1st MRB