Resolved - Computer wont boot after full power down.

Downs

Question

Name: Sean Downs

Type of issue: Hardware?

Brief Description of Issue:

So basically my comp hasn't been turned off in months (just restarted). After a full power down when I power back up the activity led light on front of the tower does not turn on and my screen stays blank. It takes 10+ vicious power on then off cycles before it will boot up. Then when it does everything except my files, ie games etc will revert back to the original 2010 settings. The interesting thing is my old comp started to do the same thing after awhile and my current comp is inside the old comps tower. Basically i yanked everything out of my old comps tower and built another comp inside. Also it worked flawless for over a year, just like the old comp. Could this be a wierd ground issue? Motherboard battery? Also I replaced the PSU when I built the new one. I have tried google to no avail. Any input would be greatly appreciated. Oh and just to get this out of the way, I have tried safe mode.

***Medical Supply Staff ONLY Below this line***

Current Status: Resolved

Researching

Pending Reply

Resolved

Unresolved

Main Technician: Heresy

Supporting Technician: J. Ascencio

Edited by Heresy 1st MRB

21 answers to this question

Can you tell me your setup ie motherboard, hard drive etc

[OS Name Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium

Version 6.1.7601 Service Pack 1 Build 7601

Other OS Description Not Available

OS Manufacturer Microsoft Corporation

System Name SEAN-PC

System Manufacturer Acer

System Model Aspire X3400G

System Type x64-based PC

Processor AMD Athlon II X2 255 Processor, 3100 Mhz, 2 Core(s), 2 Logical Processor(s)

BIOS Version/Date AMI P01-B2, 6/1/2010

SMBIOS Version 2.6

Windows Directory C:\Windows

System Directory C:\Windows\system32

Boot Device \Device\HarddiskVolume2

Locale United States

Hardware Abstraction Layer Version = "6.1.7601.17514"

User Name sean-PC\sean

Time Zone Pacific Daylight Time

Installed Physical Memory (RAM) 8.00 GB

Total Physical Memory 8.00 GB

Available Physical Memory 5.50 GB

Total Virtual Memory 16.0 GB

Available Virtual Memory 13.5 GB

Page File Space 8.00 GB

Page File C:\pagefile.sys

Harddrive is WDC WD10 EARS-22Y5B1 SCSI Disk Device. Power supply is Extreme power plus 500w by cooler master, GPHX is Nvidia 650 GTX.

Edited by Downs 1st MRB

If your power supply turns on and works correctly it could be your motherboard. Also if the psu you have now does not meet the recommended requirements for your setup then it may cause your certain components in your computer to fail ie your video card.

Yeah, the strange thing is my old comp ie mother board, etc started doing the same thing in the same tower. Also the PSU is sufficient I researched it before buying it. Your supposed to tell me its something simple like the motherboard battery LOL. I can dream...

If your power supply turns on and works correctly it could be your motherboard. Also if the psu you have now does not meet the recommended requirements for your setup then it may cause your certain components in your computer to fail ie your video card.

Yeah, the strange thing is my old comp ie mother board, etc started doing the same thing in the same tower. Also the PSU is sufficient I researched it before buying it. Your supposed to tell me its something simple like the motherboard battery LOL. I can dream...

There are many options that could cause this. The most basic is the power supply not pushing the correct power through due to a defect. If you have an extra power supply try the and if u don't I'd recommend buying a new one and trying it. My old tower did this every time before the power supply took a dump on me

There are many options that could cause this. The most basic is the power supply not pushing the correct power through due to a defect. If you have an extra power supply try the and if u don't I'd recommend buying a new one and trying it. My old tower did this every time before the power supply took a dump on me

Ok thanks Ill try that. I do have an alternate power supply although it won't be enough for my NVIDIA gphx. :(

I spoke with Downs a few nights ago on the issue he was having. The additional details are that the power will turn on each time he presses the power button to the system but it will not power up fully. Also when he finally gets into Windows the time is reset as well. This leads me to think that the problem is not with the power supply but with perhaps the battery on the motherboard since the time values are not retained. Downs is going to replace the battery since this is a cheap troubleshooting step.

I spoke with Downs a few nights ago on the issue he was having. The additional details are that the power will turn on each time he presses the power button to the system but it will not power up fully. Also when he finally gets into Windows the time is reset as well. This leads me to think that the problem is not with the power supply but with perhaps the battery on the motherboard since the time values are not retained. Downs is going to replace the battery since this is a cheap troubleshooting step.

That could help. also after replacing the cmos battery you can also clear your motherboards cmos memory which can help

This might be a shot in the dark, but I had a similar problem not too long ago, thought it was the battery, but it turned out my RAM had gone bad and needed replacing (I had extra RAM just lying around, but no battery!)

Thx for the Idea man, but I have ddr3 ram now, and this has been going on since my old comp with ddr2 ram. Both in the same tower which seems to be the lnk.

You have ddr2 and ddr3 in the same tower? Or you had ddr2 in it and changed it to ddr3? If you're using both, try removing the ddr2 and booting with just the ddr3. Try vice-versa if that doesn't fix it. Even one bad card will screw the whole thing up, so you might have to try removing one, booting, remove a different one, boot again, etc....

Edited by C. Duncan 1st MRB