Resolved - Packet Loss

Englebretson 1st MRB

Question

Name: Englebretson

Type of issue: Hardware

Brief Description of Issue: Every time I play the game Rust the first few minutes run smooth, but after that I start to lag/warp and then eventually get dced. I pinged the server while I was playing and it said 4 packets were sent and 0 were received. I should clarify that this only happens in Rust and no other games.

***Medical Supply Staff ONLY Below this line***

Current Status: Resolved

Main Technician: J. Ascencio

Supporting Technician: Heresy

Edited by Holland 1st MRB

9 answers to this question

Yes I tried that last night and got the same result.

Give this a try: http://www.pingtest.net/

Does it say there is any packet loss?

And how many ms in jitter?

Also are you playing on a foreign servers? Do you have good internet speed?

Also remember the game is still in development and it is not uncommon for things like this to happen.

One more thing, if you have an antivirus or windows firewall add rust to your list of exception on your fire wall or anti virus. Same thing happened to me on DOD when I first started playing.

Edited by J. Ascencio 1st MRB

Yes I tried that last night and got the same result.

Give this a try: http://www.pingtest.net/

Does it say there is any packet loss?

And how many ms in jitter?

Also are you playing on a foreign servers? Do you have good internet speed?

Also remember the game is still in development and it is not uncommon for things like this to happen.

One more thing, if you have an antivirus or windows firewall add rust to your list of exception on your fire wall or anti virus. Same thing happened to me on DOD when I first started playing.

I have 0 packet loss and 1ms jitter. I have a 100mb plan. I have also tried both US and foreign servers and get the same result. As far as my antivirus I have added rust to my exceptions and nothing changes same with my firewall.

Edit.

I have found a server where I no longer lose any packets, but now I am desyncing from the server every 10-15mins. I may have found a solution that involves putting in a command line in my cmd, but I am hesitant to try it out since I dont know what it will do to my computer. Here is the command bcdedit /set useplatformclock true

There are some other users here who have been attributing the problem to their Asus motherboard or overclocking the CPU. I am not sure that is the problem but it was something I found online here.

http://facepunch.com/showthread.php?t=1335697&page=2

Just curious, do you have an Asus board?

The command "bcdedit /set useplatformclock yes" will make a boot entry for windows forcing the system to use High Precision Event Timer (HPET) versus the Windows default timer. I think you could make the change try it out and remove it if it did not work. Also make sure that HPET is enabled in your BIOS. Information on the command http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/wi...v=vs.85%29.aspx

The BCDEdit /set command sets a boot entry option value in the Windows boot configuration data store (BCD) for Windows Vista, Windows 7, Windows Server 2008, Windows 8, Windows 8.1, Windows Server 2012, and Windows Server 2012 R2. Use the BCDEdit /set command to configure specific boot entry elements, such as kernel debugger settings, memory options, or options that enable test-signed kernel-mode code or load alternate hardware abstraction layer (HAL) and kernel files. To remove a boot entry option, use the BCDEdit /deletevalue command.

useplatformclock [ yes | no ]

Forces the use of the platform clock as the system's performance counter.

Note This option should only be used for debugging.

If you want to turn it off:

bcdedit /deletevalue useplatformclock

Disable HPET in BIOS

reboot