Resolved - Need help with hardware selection

White 1st MRB

Question

Name: C. White

Type of issue: hardware

Brief Description of Issue: I had my computer idling in a game the other night and when i came back the computer was completely dead and could not turn on. After some trouble shooting i have identified that the psu is not working. Along with getting a new psu, I am going to be buying a new case and would like someone to review my intended purchase to see if everything will work. Sorry I dont know much about computers so I will do my best to give all the data needed.

***Medical Supply Staff ONLY Below this line***

Current Status: Resolved

Main Technician: Pvt. J. Sky

Supporting Technician: Pfc. J. Ascencio

Edited by Holland 1st MRB

21 answers to this question

I'm having issues with the browser and my ipad so I'm going to make small posts so I don't lose info...

My computer's specs (like I said I don't know much about computers so these specs are off the top of my head and I can't get a list like I normally do on my comp)

Motherboard- Ga-z68ap-d3 form factor atx 12" by 8.4"

CPU-Intel i7

Gpu- Radeon hd 6850

I want to upgrade to a full tower case.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...N82E16811133191

This is the case I'm looking at. I like all the dust screens and spot for liquid cooling at the top (incase I upgrade in the future).

One thing I am am concerned about is if my motherboard will fit. The case says it supports the atx but it's dimensions are larger at 12" by 9.6" while my card is 12" by 8.4". Will this be a issue? If so can I get some advise on a better case for the motherboard.

Edited by White 1st MRB

I read the psu review on in this section but I still don't know much about what I need for a psu. I am interested in getting one that can support future gpu and liquid cooling upgrades ( I have no clue what I should be looking at based on watts for future products)

What I am looking at now.... http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...N82E16817139010

I looked at it and I think it will work for my computers components but I would love for someone with more computer knowledge look at it along with the case and let me know if these are good purchases.

Take a quick look at Sky's guide for power supplies. It should give you a general overview of what you are looking for.

In order for us to determine whether or not the power supply will work, you are going to have to give us more information about the specifications of your computer (CPU, RAM, GPU, any additions (like a capture card)).

Hey White,

I can definitely help you with this. What I need to know is what 2ndLt. Holland said but also are you building a completely new computer or are you upgrading in some cases but keeping the same parts in others? For example, I know you are looking for a new case and PSU but are you also looking for other parts or are you going to keep the rest the same?

As I stated in the original post, I had a problem which I traced back to my psu. At this point I wish to upgrade my psu and case, but keep the rest of my components the same. I am having a lot of trouble putting together specs because my computer is currently unusable. By looking at my instruction manuals and at the computer itself I know it has..

Motherboard- ga-z68ap-d3

CPU- Intel i7

Gpu-powercolor Radeon hd 6850

That's all I know of the top of my head please list what else you need to know...

The only other two things I need to know are how much RAM you have and how much hard drive space you have. Also, do you have any ither computer that you could use or is the one that broke it?

Edited by Sky 1st MRB

I know a little bit about cases but I know quite a bit about power supplys. From what u have seen an 800 watt power supply will do just fine for you just make sure it will fit in the case. The price for this lower supply will differ depending on what brand you want I prefer a brand called thermaltake they make great products and its backed by a warranty.

I would recommend at least an 850W Power Supply. The reasoning is that you will most likely need to be upgrading soon. The Radeon is old and 4 GB of RAM is really really low. I am pretty sure that you will have to be upgrading those in the near future. Your hard drive is fine, 1 TB is a lot of space.

Like you said you just want a new case and PSU so I would just say get those and then upgrade as needed. Remember, at least 850W. Also, be very careful to make sure that the case you get will hold the PSU and other components properly.

By taking your advise on 850w for a psu... I am looking at http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...N82E16817139011 for a psu. And then http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...N82E16811133191 .

I am wondering if that psu will work with the components I mentioned earlier. Also for this case it says it holds atx motherboards (Which I am reading is the standard size for motherboards for dyu) dimensions 12 by 9.6" but mine says it's atx but 12 by 8.4" will this be an issue or will it have the standard mounting placements for the atx form. I believe the case will hold the psu fine because of the adjustable place for it.

If you could look these over to give me a second opinion because like I said I know little about hardware.

I was under the impression that it the case accepted the atx size and mine was the form factor atx but the dimensions were smaller... Wouldn't the bracket be based off the atx form not the actual dimensions. If not could you please give me advise on how to figure out what case would be appropriate. Thanks for all your help by the way... Info on my motherboard http://www.microcenter.com/product/375352/...tel_Motherboard

Edited by White 1st MRB

I am actually thinking maybe we should wait until you get your new case and psu ad if everything works out okay then we can close it. If it doesn't, which I'm hoping won't be the case, then you can just post in here.