Resolved - What is going on here??? (Monitor Not Working)

Griswold

Question

Name: J. Griswold

Type of issue: Not sure but I suppose it could be hardware

Brief Description of Issue: I don't really know how to explain it but I have a picture that does. This happened to my Primary Monitor while my secondary monitor was completely fine.

photo 20140724_164233.jpg

I'm guessing it was either my GPU overheating or that the cable that is plugged into my monitor is fucked up.

***Medical Supply Staff ONLY Below this line***

Current Status: Resolved

Researching

Pending Reply

Resolved

Unresolved

Main Technician: Ascencio

Supporting Technician: Heresy

Edited by Heresy 1st MRB

9 answers to this question

Switch the cables between the two monitors and see if the problem happens on the other monitor as well. This will confirm if the monitor is okay.

If the monitor is okay then take the cable that does not have the HDMI/DVI converter replace the one that is there currently there. This will tell you if it is the cable or the video card.

Please let us know the results then.

I have switched my cables from HDMI to DVI to another DVI to DVI and still getting problems. My main monitor is still doing what I showed in the first picture, and though I've never seen it I swear in my peripheral vision I can see my secondary monitor flicker and a huge black bar will show up in the middle of the screen horizontally. By the time I look over it is gone.

I believe that my video card has a compatibly issue my new motherboard, problem is that I don't have another video card to test this theory of mine with.

Try Lafy's suggestion by switching through resolutions via the monitor menu (if available).

Otherwise, it might be worth opening up your computer and giving the motherboard a quick check for bulging/leaking capacitors.

Does your motherboard have onboard graphics capabilities? If so, pull your graphics card out, and plug the monitors into the motherboard to see if this problem persists.

Im assuming you tried all the above mentioned. If you suspect it is still your monitor then try what Lt. Holland said about the bulging capacitors. It could be the exact same thing only in your monitor. Just take the back off and check all the capacitors. Ten bucks in capacitors is better than having to buy a new monitor. I fixed a n LCD TV by doing this.

Im assuming you tried all the above mentioned. If you suspect it is still your monitor then try what Lt. Holland said about the bulging capacitors. It could be the exact same thing only in your monitor. Just take the back off and check all the capacitors. Ten bucks in capacitors is better than having to buy a new monitor. I fixed a n LCD TV by doing this.

You guys should be able to close this now, the problem disappeared when I installed my new GPU. I had suspected that is was my GPU overheating because we have had to replace the thermal paste on that GPU before.