Sports venting about NHL Gamecenter Live in Canada...

Pandalsson 1st MRB

Sorry, all kinds of anger after getting of the phone with our new hockey overlords over here.

Anyone else supremely pissed off at Bettman for selling the NHL broadcast rights in Canada to Rogers?

Get this pile of honking crap...

If you're in central Ontario:

Toronto Maple Leafs

56 games (16 of these will require a SN TV subscription with a participating TV provider* from January 1, 2015)

Wtf? So you pay full price for a service that offers you 40 of 56 (of 82) games. And to get the remaining 16 you need to pay Rogers even more money to get their 1/2-assed Sportsnet channel (that no one watches).

It's even worse for New Brunswick, Nova Scotia, PEI, Newfoundland & Labrador:

Montreal Canadiens

All 82 games (42 of these will require a SN TV subscription with a participating TV provider* from January 1, 2015)

And yet, they have the balls to say: No blackouts of Montreal Canadiens English games in this region. Well, at least Habs fans get to see 82 games. I feel for Leafs fans who only get to see 56.

Oh, and the Rogers Gamecenter guy I spoke with also added, that if you signed up in Canada and find yourself in the US, you get no coverage at all because Rogers only allows you to view games live in Canada.

A big heartful F-U Bettman for letting Rogers rip us off so blatantly.

Apparently the solution is to purchase your Gamecenter Live subscription from outside North America to get all the games...

Sorry, all kinds of anger after getting of the phone with our new hockey overlords over here.

Anyone else supremely pissed off at Bettman for selling the NHL broadcast rights in Canada to Rogers?

Get this pile of honking crap...

If you're in central Ontario:

Toronto Maple Leafs

56 games (16 of these will require a SN TV subscription with a participating TV provider* from January 1, 2015)

Wtf? So you pay full price for a service that offers you 40 of 56 (of 82) games. And to get the remaining 16 you need to pay Rogers even more money to get their 1/2-assed Sportsnet channel (that no one watches).

It's even worse for New Brunswick, Nova Scotia, PEI, Newfoundland & Labrador:

Montreal Canadiens

All 82 games (42 of these will require a SN TV subscription with a participating TV provider* from January 1, 2015)

And yet, they have the balls to say: No blackouts of Montreal Canadiens English games in this region. Well, at least Habs fans get to see 82 games. I feel for Leafs fans who only get to see 56.

Oh, and the Rogers Gamecenter guy I spoke with also added, that if you signed up in Canada and find yourself in the US, you get no coverage at all because Rogers only allows you to view games live in Canada.

A big heartful F-U Bettman for letting Rogers rip us off so blatantly.

Apparently the solution is to purchase your Gamecenter Live subscription from outside North America to get all the games...

You have lost your seat at the all mighty hockey table of the 1st mrb.

Yea I hear ya, they kept saying this will give us more content but it seems like we're losing more than we are gaining. I didn't even bother getting Gamecenter because of this, Rogers is a fucking joke. CBC will no longer be streaming their games online and TSN always has a blackout on theirs. You NEED a tv with all the SN channels and all the TSN channels, which costs more money. It's highway robbery.

Apparently Rogers is using your IP address to determine if they blackout local games to really squeeze $$ out of Canadians.

I eventually found out that I have a US subscription ($99 vs $199 w/ Rogers) and it might be possible to stream GCL after Dec. 31st with a VPN?

Parker, what are you using to watch the games this year? And I totally agree that it's highway robbery.

Engle- You guys had me on the kiddie table anyways :)

• 3 weeks later...

Just got this email from Rogers today:

Dear BENJAMIN,

Get more hockey action this season - in a big way! As a thank you for being a Rogers Share Everything, Internet Hybrid Fibre 150 and Digital VIP customer, we're giving you a FREE subscription to Rogers NHL GameCentre LIVE™ for the entire 2014-15 season.* Plus, you get NHL® Centre Ice™, to watch out-of-market games on your big screen. A value of $400.

With your Rogers NHL GameCentre LIVE™ 2014-15 Season's Pass subscription, you can live stream over 1,000* games so you can follow your team anywhere. Watch them on your smartphone, tablet or laptop - at home or on the go.

• Get access to the 2015 Stanley Cup® Playoffs.

• Watch up to 37 out-of-market regular season NHL® games every week on your TV in HD with NHL® Centre Ice™. So you can catch the games that matter to you.

• Get exclusive access to GamePlus™ features, including unique camera angles, exclusive interviews and expert analysis. Experience the NHL in a whole new way... with innovative camera and replay angles, like the Ref Cam. You can catch all the action from the viewpoint of the Referee. It's exclusive for Rogers customers!

Thanks for giving me SOMETHING after I've given you more. The ref cam is pretty cool though.

Yeah, the ref cam is kind of a nice gimmick (until it wears thin).

Good to see that Rogers is acknowledging all the gouging they've done on you. It's to set you up for next year when they charge you $200 for Gamecenter.

Hey Engle, does Comcast have an agreement with the Stars or do you have occasional games being blacked out?