Advice for Air Force

Gundersen

Hello everyone, I have been looking into the Air Force for about a year now and I have finally decided to go to BMT as an Enlisted when I leave high school. I am only a Junior in High School so I will try to get as much advice as I can before I go. If any of you had previous experiences with the Air Force or other military branch in the US, I would be proud to take some advice. Some things that I am worried about are the ASVAB, BMT, life in the military, and homesickness. Thanks.

I am currently going through delayed enlistment for the army. The only thing i meed to do now is swear in. I have taken the physical, the asvab etc. My advice for you is to start studying for the asvab asap. I went and started talking to a recruiter on a Monday and took the asvab on a Tuesday. I did not study at all for the asvab and i got a 50 which is lower than what i expected but still an okay score. Also I would recommend talking to a recruiter for the air force so he can schedule you to take the avab and he can answer more of your questions. I also would recommend that you start looking at jobs right now so you have an idea of what you want to do BUT DO NOT SET YOUR HEART ON ONE JOB until you take the asvab. I would also recommend talking to recruiters of all branches. When I turned 17 I had my heart set out on the army but I still talked to all the other recruiters because who knows one branch might have something you really like that the others don't!

So coming from a enlisted member of the marine corps that's only two years in, ASVAB study for, but don't panic over cause you stress you going to possibly overthink and make simple mistakes. life in the service is dependent on your job branch and marital status. different branches have different living standards example I know an airmen that told me her living conditions were as follow: full galley, commons area with washer/dryer and from there they had their own individual rooms kinda like a college dorm. compared to my rooming conditions. I have a microwave fridge and bunk bed with one other person in a room that I can only have modified 4 ways. homesickness, this all depends on you individually. myself I talk to my parents once a month if not more, and haven't been home in a year. but yeah it can suck just gotta make the best of what you got. i'm assuming BMT is basic military training, again depends on the branch but as long as you give it your all and everything you can make it through just fine, *not saying it wont have its shitty days*

all in all: asvab study for but don't freak on it, lifestyle is going to depend on your command,(not sure about airforce but usmc is good at single and married the dating is a pain. from my experience). training is going to have its ups and downs again depending on your job. and homesickness is all mindset in my opinion, theres going to be days you miss everyone and days you just don't have time to. or if your unit is close like mine is it feels like family and is comfortable to be around and it helps. Command can also effect that cohesiveness. anyone else current or prior service feel free to correct anything I've mislead upon. but again this is from my perspective aswell.