Resolved - Rust crashes my PC

Willow 1st MRB

Question

Name: L. Willow

Type of issue: Not sure

Brief Description of Issue: Since Saturday, when i click to play Rust, my PC crashes (black screen then restarts). I have verified game cache, uninstalled and reinstalled, checked that drivers were up to date. Eventually after an hour or two it will start working. I have no idea what i'm doing to suddenly get it working either. Also, it is only Rust that this is happening.

AMD Phenom™ II X6 1090T 6 Core processor 3.20 GHz

16 GB RAM

2 AMD Radeon HD 5770 1G, Crossfired

Corsair TX650 watt

Windows 7

***Medical Supply Staff ONLY Below this line***

Current Status: Resolved

Researching

Pending Reply

Resolved

Unresolved

Main Technician: Sgt. S. Woz

Supporting Technician: SSgt. J. Hill

Edited by J. Hill 1st MRB

Did you ever try the suggestion of removing one of the video cards? You could try just disabling crossfire for rust

Go to the Catalyst Control Center then in the 3D applications section, you can create a profile for a single game. Then in the options towards the bottom, it will have an option for Crossfire mode, you can select off there.

The Graphics card is overclocked a bit. it kicks in in high performance mode, which I believe Rust is. being overclocked past the recommended amount is what is causing it to reset. Try adjusting the High performance GPU clock down to either 750 or 800. it should not be more than 850 Max, but go below for safety. If that does not work, then I would disable one to make sure.

no black screen and reset though. it would indicate to me that that card is going bad. That card may be what is causing your problems. What I need to know is if it is happening with only one card, or both? Which slot was the card in? Does it happen only when it is the top slot, or does it happen also when it is in the bottom slot? We need to try and narrow it down to either one specific card or one specific slot. Put one card in the top slot, then try it. if it fails, put it in the bottom slot and see if it fails there too. then do the same with the other card. Don't just log in and out though. Actually play the game some to test it. let me know the results.

Okay so both my cards suck ass. Card 1 (in both slot 1 and 2) flashes random weird graphics like in above screen shot even if not in any game. Was running perfect for a whole day but showing weird graphics this morning. Card 2 (both slots) runs so hot, like up to 95c! I'm scared to run card 2. Btw i get the msg 'graphics card has stopped but recovered properly' for both cards and in both slots...less with card 1 i think. :(

I would suggest replacing the graphics card then. I would go with a single card though instead of a dual card system for now, but would get one that is crossfire capable so if you want to add another later you can. Will do a little checking to see what is available out there and see if I can find a good one that won't cost a lot.

after a lengthy talk with MSgt. Willow, we have determined that one of her crossfire graphics cards is running very hot. After removing the card and doing a lot of other checks, the black screen and restart have stopped for now. She gets a little pixalation at times, but it quickly returns to normal. her refresh rate for monitor and graphics card are identical. She will eventually need a new graphics card, which will be difficult to find new. She has a PCI Express 2 slot and cards now are PCI Express 3. We are looking for a new card that is compatible. One good thing is her lag has decreased quite a bit.

Close Ticket.