Resolved - upgrading

Corrente 1st MRB

Question

Name: B. Corrente

Type of issue: Hardware

Brief Description of Issue:

Hey guys, So I have been pondering on getting a desktop. I don't know much about computers so looking for something more Gaming and making Videos. Willing to spend between $500 to $1,000.

***Medical Supply Staff ONLY Below this line***

Current Status: Resolved

Researching

Pending Reply

Resolved

Unresolved

Main Technician: Sgt. S. Woz

Supporting Technician: Tsgt. J. Hill

Edited by J. Hill 1st MRB

17 answers to this question

If you are thinking of buying a Desktop, I assume you have a laptop now. If you buy a Desktop, and have a budget of between $500 and $1000, I would recommend buying a ready built system. I assume you will need a Monitor with that also. I would recommend checking out Newegg.com and also Bestbuy.com. I will recommend a few things and if you wish, I will even look around and see if I can find a good one. First, you want to have large HD. I recommend a 1TB at least. At least 12GB of ram and an Intel Processor. i5 at least, but i7 is better. If you can get at least a 6 core processor, that will be good. An 8 core may be out of your range. Do NOT buy a refurbished computer. they don't always work as they should. Most computers these days come with windows 8.1, but windows 10 will be released in the near future and will be a free upgrade. Not sure how windows 10 will be though. I don't have my contacts with Microsoft like I used to. If its going to have built in graphic card now, thats not a problem, you can upgrade that later if need be. Just make sure its a good quality built in. If you have any questions, please feel free to contact me anytime and we can discuss things.

If you can push the budget a tiny bit to add a monitor this seems like a good option

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...N82E16883220836

A little more in your budget would be something like this

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...N82E16883230007

A monitor will be around $125

If you would rather build your own computer, and feel comfortable doing that, then let us know and someone will give you suggestions.

bestbuy.com/site/ibuypower-desktop-intel-core-i5-8gb-memory-1tb-hard-drive-black-red/7358029.p?id=1219267042026&skuId=7358029

This is one that is available from best Buy. just have to add a little more Ram in my opinion. Not a bad system.

If you can push the budget a tiny bit to add a monitor this seems like a good option

I like all of these. I really like this one Lafy. Is asus a good brand? I have only had HP and Dell.

I do want one with a 1TB, i7 core processor (if 8 core i'm okay with stepping up my price) 16GB of Ram (12 GB i'll be okay with) and also I want to do dual monitor so extra cost of monitors is fine. I'm not including them with the price of the computer.

I like all of these. I really like this one Lafy. Is asus a good brand? I have only had HP and Dell.

I do want one with a 1TB, i7 core processor (if 8 core i'm okay with stepping up my price) 16GB of Ram (12 GB i'll be okay with) and also I want to do dual monitor so extra cost of monitors is fine. I'm not including them with the price of the computer.

Corrente in my oppinion Asus is the best brand on the market, but thats just me. Asus is a brand that have proofed it self. Asus is a very good choice for gaming, also Asus should be more than capeble of running movie making programs as well. I have tried other brands as Acer, HP even Alien Ware, but i have never found anything matching the Asus systems. This is of course if you are choosing the pre build computers. If you build one your self i am sure you can make something way better than Asus. But if you are going for a pre build computer which is cheaper, i would without doubt go for Asus.

Corrente in my oppinion Asus is the best brand on the market, but thats just me. Asus is a brand that have proofed it self. Asus is a very good choice for gaming, also Asus should be more than capeble of running movie making programs as well. I have tried other brands as Acer, HP even Alien Ware, but i have never found anything matching the Asus systems. This is of course if you are choosing the pre build computers. If you build one your self i am sure you can make something way better than Asus. But if you are going for a pre build computer which is cheaper, i would without doubt go for Asus.

I agree. Asus is a very good brand. I would not buy a Dell or an Alienware computer though. I have had friends with lots of problems with those. Alienware used to be good, but not now. You could make a better computer yourself, but it would cost a lot more money. You would also need the technical knowledge to assemble it. If you are not familiar with Desktops, I would get a prebuilt. Will do a little more research for you.

Alienware used to be good, but not now.

It used to be a power pc company where it earned its brand reputation as being top tier, then it was bought out by Dell and sold at a markup because of the brand name. Generally had the same hardware as XPS systems, but at a higher price.

The hardware is still good, but the price is not.

Edited by Woz 1st MRB
I spel gud.

I'm sure iBuyPower is fine. But as always, if you are willing to go through the process of building, you can get more bang for your buck and be sure that you are buying the quality components that you want.

That being said, at the lower price points for pre-built systems, the margin is low, and they try to make money on volume. In order to keep the price point attractive, they source the cheapest parts that they can. As you customize the system, you can pay for better parts. But, this also increases the margin. As the margin grows, it makes more sense to spend that margin on better components and build it yourself.

The significance of this in your case is that at the 600 dollar price point (excluding OS) it makes more sense to buy pre-built than it does to build it yourself, since the quality of the components won't matter as much based on how soon the computer will reach obsolescence with regards to current game releases, and based on the value of the effort required to build (relatively large in this case) vs the savings and the performance increase (both of which are small at this price point)

If you are willing to increase your budget by about 100-150 dollars (or about 20-70 dollars if you find a free source for your OS such as work or school), and are also willing to go through the process of building it (I could skype with you while you do it, if you wish), then let us know, and we can help you put together a good custom build.

Yeah I have laptop that I bought last summer its a HP Envy m6 notebook PC with beatsaudio.

AMD Quad-Core A10- 5750M Accelerated processor

750GB Hard Drive

6144 MB DDR3 SDRAM

Windows 8.1

15.6" diagonal HD LED Display

Touchscreen

I spent $800 for this laptop at best buy and got a free year of Webroot. So I am happy with this just that I would like the feeling of a desktop again. :P

Intel i7 8-core processors tend to be waaaaay up there in price: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...N82E16819117404

If you think you need 8-core, you might want to look into AMD instead.

I'm sure iBuyPower is fine. But as always, if you are willing to go through the process of building, you can get more bang for your buck and be sure that you are buying the quality components that you want.

That being said, at the lower price points for pre-built systems, the margin is low, and they try to make money on volume. In order to keep the price point attractive, they source the cheapest parts that they can. As you customize the system, you can pay for better parts. But, this also increases the margin. As the margin grows, it makes more sense to spend that margin on better components and build it yourself.

The significance of this in your case is that at the 600 dollar price point (excluding OS) it makes more sense to buy pre-built than it does to build it yourself, since the quality of the components won't matter as much based on how soon the computer will reach obsolescence with regards to current game releases, and based on the value of the effort required to build (relatively large in this case) vs the savings and the performance increase (both of which are small at this price point)

If you are willing to increase your budget by about 100-150 dollars (or about 20-70 dollars if you find a free source for your OS such as work or school), and are also willing to go through the process of building it (I could skype with you while you do it, if you wish), then let us know, and we can help you put together a good custom build.

I dunno about these guys honestly .. I got one of their desktops for my mom as a Christmas present to get rid of her ancient computer. I have no idea why, but Skype is completely incompatible with it for some reason. Tried figuring it out myself, and when I couldn't called the microsoft guys to see what they would do. Needless to say, it's still unresolved and basically with Skype when you try to make a call or use the webcam it locks up the computer until it bluescreens with a generic stop error. *shrugs* probably wouldn't buy from those guys again, would much rather build my own.

That sounds more like a problem with the hardware/drivers, and not so much the company iBuyPower, but I totally understand the sentiment that building it yourself is a more comfortable option.

I still stand by the opinion that throwing a little more money into it will make it worthwhile to build, and it will create a worthy gaming computer / workstation. But if he stays at the lower price, he might as well buy it pre-built.