Resolved - High Ping

Gearhart 1st MRB

Question

Name: Gearhart

Type of issue: (Software, Hardware, Steam, Not sure) Not sure

Brief Description of Issue: I went from DSL internet to Cable. I usually average around 60 ping but I have been averaging 80-100 for the past month. My provider is MidcoComm.

Here are some random screen shots of my trace

plotter_zpsaxjlxpwh.png

plotter2_zpsc54lpl0e.png

plotter3_zps5nyjw1au.png

***Medical Supply Staff ONLY Below this line***

Current Status: Resolved

Researching

Pending Reply

Resolved

Unresolved

Main Technician: Sgt S. Woz

Supporting Technician:

Edited by Candy 1st MRB

11 answers to this question

You are double routing through your Hitron CGN model and whatever router you are connecting with. In addition to that I am thinking your third hop (first clearly outside of the home network) is appearing to be a Private IP address meaning that MidcoConn has another router between you and the internet.

Given that you are seeing averages of 20 mil to that 3rd router on your connection and highs of 71 MS one hop outside of your network can easily explain the extra 20-60 MS you have been seeing in your average ping time. Do me a favor and hit me up on steam. I would like to check on a few things with you about your IP address that we shall not be posting into a forum XD.

Additionally something else that is screaming at me is the 40 percent packet loss on hop 12 to IP 129.250.2.148 (excluding the other instances of packet loss; this one just spikes as high as 90 and saw loss on all of your posted tests); if you could do me a favor run a test to an unrelated server and let me know if that is a persistent member to your connection.

All in all this appears to be an ISP issue in relation to packet loss as none of this loss is coming from within your home network (hops one or 2) and so you will need to work with Midco to resolve it in full but there are a few steps we can try to mitigate it first.

For testing unrelated networks (this test is not as detailed for you as this magical 3rd party software you use) open command prompt and just run the following command "tracert 8.8.8.8" (it will trace your route to google) and then see if the IP address 129.250.2.148 rears it's head between hops 11-16 out of your home network.

I am currently running some fat packet ping tests and traces to the offending servers in your screens.

Through the course of my traces and fat packet tests to the servers reporting packet loss on your connection I did not see any packet loss indicating it would not be a server based issue but possibly and issue with your base lines or just how your ISP is routing your traffic.

Edited by Marsden 1st MRB
spelling

While doing your tests, keep in mind that ICMP traffic is often low priority, and some packet loss in trace route or ping can be a sign of heavy load on a node, but might not necessarily mean your other traffic is experiencing that same loss.

In any case, if you are not seeing the ping spike on the first few or the last few hops, there is likely nothing you can do about it besides tell your ISP (tell MidCo that their tier-1 carrier, ntt, is causing some slowdown.) Of course, first few would indicate your hardware needs troubleshooting, and last few (choopa) would indicate that the game server is bogged down.

Just to solidify my point, here is the ping plotter graph from my place of work. Notice the one node that is making ICMP messages with TTL 0 at it's hop extremely low priority, but it doesn't affect the overall health of the connection and does not indicate that there is a problem.

qtABOlR.png

Edited by Woz 1st MRB

We bridged his Hitron and the Packet loss seems to have gone away for now. Running the fancy graphical ping test now instead of through CMD

(I like CMD; it doesn't lie to me)

Additionally while ICMP is low priority; 90% packet loss I not due to high traffic and would indicate either a line or service issue with the ISP unless his Gateway is not operating properly

Edited by Marsden 1st MRB
Addendum

We bridged his Hitron and the Packet loss seems to have gone away for now. Running the fancy graphical ping test now instead of through CMD

(I like CMD; it doesn't lie to me)

Can you make sure to run it with a sample size higher than the default of 10? something around 200 or 300 would be nice.