Map prooblem

Marsan

Question

15 answers to this question

Maybe you need a fresh version of the map, try deleting it from your dods folder and re-downloading it from the server.

You cannot delete them from your folder because Valve won't let you. The map files do not show up in your maps folder.

You cannot delete them from your folder because Valve won't let you. The map files do not show up in your maps folder.

Actually you can delete them, you just need a program called GcfScape. I use it all the time to look at how valve did some of their maps. It lets you remove, or modify any root files for DoD:s.

GcfScape - Choose the installer option.

Open the program, the root files are located in c:/program files (x86)/steam/steamapps.... once you get there you will see some bluish purple colored boxes below. Click the one that says day of defeat source. These are the gcf files, or Game Cache Files. Go to dod/maps and you should see the list of the dod stock maps. delete the ones you are having issues with, and close the program. Launch dod:s go to the pub and see if it lets you download the maps.

From Valve: When a GCF is created or updated, the disk space required for it is reserved and content is subsequently downloaded to fill it. This process minimizes fragmentation, but can be slow and appear to make the Steam client freeze with older hardware and/or software.

Note: This can do bad things that may require a fresh install of DoD:S, so be careful with what you are doing. Simply deleting the maps may allow you to download them from the server but I wouldn't mess with any other files while you are in there.

It's actually a pretty handy program for making your own skins. You can extract the actual game player skins, and open them in Photoshop, edit them, then export them to a folder as .tga files. From there you import them into a program called VtfEdit. Create the vtf and vmt files for your new skins, then place them in your material folders.

Note on re-skinning: Don't alter the actual skins. Leave the skins in the root folder and make a copy of them to edit. Altering the game files will cause your game not to work.

I wouldn't say I'm a god lol. I'm just fairly decent.

I used gcfscape in my BCT map. If any of you noticed, the grenade range building is actually the allied sniper house from donner. I opened up donners .vmf, copied the allied sniper house, and just pasted it into my map. I did move around a few walls and changed the interior walls to match my map, but it's the same building.

Try extracting the maps to your desktop, then move the maps that you extract to your C;/program files(x86)/steam/steamapps/yournamehere/day of defeat source/dod/maps folder.

I may have been mistaken in the deletion thing, I never tried to delete them, I only used the program to edit them.

If moving them to your map folder after extracting them to your desktop doesn't fix the problem, the only option I can see after that is a fresh install of DoD:S.

I wouldn't say I'm a god lol. I'm just fairly decent.

I used gcfscape in my BCT map. If any of you noticed, the grenade range building is actually the allied sniper house from donner. I opened up donners .vmf, copied the allied sniper house, and just pasted it into my map. I did move around a few walls and changed the interior walls to match my map, but it's the same building.

I completely noticed that, which is why you lost all map building credibility in my book.

J'k, obviously. I doubt anyone ever noticed, but that's a cool trivia fact.

I completely noticed that, which is why you lost all map building credibility in my book.

J'k, obviously. I doubt anyone ever noticed, but that's a cool trivia fact.

lol thats the 1st thing people noticed when they went into the grenade range, everyone liked it.

Lol sorry Ford. But what you said is too complicated for me :P

Maj Parker did suggest something that worked though... for me... hehe

uhmmm you have to change your dxlevel through the game launch options to either 90 or 91

-just open up steam

-view your games library

-right click on DoD:S and click on properties

-click on set launch options

-then type in "-dxlevel 90" or "-dxlevel 91"

dxlevel 90 seemed to work for me so you may have to play around with the two

iunno... just a suggestion cause again, what ford said was too long and seemed to complicated for me... yes im astupid asian :(