Majors

Englebretson 1st MRB

What do you do for a living? Or plan to do..

And does the army pay fir you?

Whoa, I have two posts. Weird. I'm looking into being a federal investigator with FBI, CIA, ATF, etc. The Army did pay for it mostly. Well they paid for most my undergrad degree. My Masters degree is all out of my own pocket.

Just started at the Art Institute of Phoenix, majoring in Media arts and animation, trying to focus more on 2d animation, Pixar movies are cool and all, i would just rather make shows for adult swim.

if your hoping for traditional animation the closest you will find is in your 2d animation class, and they just teach that so you know how to do it, none of the animation studios use pencil testing and all that anymore, all through software now its rare for anything more than the storyboards and pitch to be on paper

if your hoping for traditional animation the closest you will find is in your 2d animation class, and they just teach that so you know how to do it, none of the animation studios use pencil testing and all that anymore, all through software now its rare for anything more than the storyboards and pitch to be on paper

i know :( but thats what i really want to do so im going to try anyway.

Well hopkins you can do it still, it's just harder because it's not catered to anymore, most places don't even have mpc's anymore. if you do it on your own though it could still turn out awesome, and there won't be the external limitations and what not placed on your passion, so don't give up.

you could always transition your hand drawings to flash or maya and animate them that way. I know that's how most animators do it these days. start pen and paper thumbnails, then scan and continue to design and move on to the animation process.

skynet may be here, but its always good to have the hand drawn skills. never know when your interviewer asks if you can do some quick thumbs as part of the interview. or if your in a bar (doing social networking) and someone has a wild eyed idea and you can draw it out as he speaks it. never know if that lands you a job simply because you were able to do things most cant.

quick edit: reminds me of a lecture one of my professors told me while we were studying hand drawn thumbnails and animations. one of the students asked "if we can do all this better on computer, why bother doing it by hand?" . professor said " what if your meeting with a client who has a choice between two designers, you bring your fully fleshed out computer comp and the compitition brings theirs. the client wants to make a small change and describes it to you, then while you boot up your laptop, launch the program, and start making changes, your competition has already effectively sketched out the clients ideas, discussed a revision and has another sketch ready to go. hes impressed the client, made revisions based on the clients needs and effectively conveyed the will of the client within their design all in the 5 minutes for you to finish dicking with your computer.

• 2 weeks later...

Had an important epiphany at school today. I think I am going to double major in Social and Educational Psychology. I want to go into the Honours program, so I need to buckle down and stop coasting. To all the psychologists out there, any suggestions? I am pretty certain I have the grades to apply 76% average with 80% in a second year psych course minimum, however, I want to do really well.

Major History, Minor Philosophy University of Manitoba. I was going to become a teacher here but instead ill be moving back to california and entering OTS in the airforce with my degree of course which i will earn in June 2011.

How long have you been in Manitoba? I thought you only recently moved, or was I mistaken?