There is a good chance I may die...

Goodwin 1st MRB

...unless someone tells me how to get sunburns to stop itching.

if I itch it the burn still itches and is then also VERY painful. It doesn't cure it!

I got a NASTY burn on my back from spending an entire day (with no sunscreen like an idiot) in the pool getting my lifeguard certification. It's been a couple days and while the major burning has subsided, it's been replaced with constant prickly itch that cannot be subdued.

If you know a way to get rid of it - please post immediately.

I'm seriously about 5 seconds from taking a filet knife to my own back to replace the itchiness with some pain.

I have tried:

Cold rag/towel draped across back, still itchy.

Aloe lotion, still itchy.

Need solutions!

Goodwin,

Here is some actual medical advise.

Home Care

Sunburn is better prevented than treated. Effective sunscreens are available in a wide variety of strengths. Most doctors recommend a sunscreen SPF level of 30 or greater.

Sunscreen should be generously applied. If out in the sun for a prolonged period of time during the day, wearing a hat and other protective clothing is recommended. Light clothing reflects the sun most effectively.

If you do get a sunburn:

Try taking a cool shower or bath or placing wet, cold wash rags on the burn.

Avoid products that contain benzocaine, lidocaine, or petroleum (like Vaseline).

If blisters are present, dry bandages may help prevent infection.

If your skin is not blistering, moisturizing cream may be applied to relieve discomfort.

Over the counter medications, like ibuprofen, may help to relieve pain from sunburn. DO NOT give aspirin to children.

When to Contact a Medical Professional

Call a health care provider immediately if you have a fever with sunburn or if there are signs of shock, heat exhaustion, dehydration, or other serious reaction. These signs include:

Feeling faint or dizzy

Rapid pulse or rapid breathing

Extreme thirst, no urine output, or sunken eyes

Pale, clammy, or cool skin

Nausea, fever, chills, or rash

Your eyes hurt and are sensitive to light

Severe, painful blisters

What to Expect at Your Office Visit

The doctor will perform a physical exam and look at your skin. You may be asked questions about your medical history and current symptoms, including:

When did the sunburn occur?

How often do you get sunburn?

Do you have blisters?

How much of the body was sunburned?

What medicines do you take?

Do you use a sunblock or sunscreen? What type? How strong?

What other symptoms do you have?

Prevention

Avoid sun exposure during hours of peak sun ray intensity.

Apply generous amounts of sunscreen with a sun protection factor (SPF) of at least 30. Pay special attention to your face, nose, ears, and shoulders. The higher the SPF, the greater the protection.

Apply sunscreen 30 minutes prior to sun exposure to allow penetration. Re-apply after swimming and every 2 hours while you are outdoors.

Wear sun hats. There is also SPF clothing and swimwear available.

Wear sunglasses with UV protection.

Use a lip balm with sunscreen.

From B. Farr HM2 USN

Farr, Magoo, thank you guys.

I had to send the misses out. It was so bad aloe vera w/ lidocaine (although not recommended by you Farr) was the only thing that would even touch this damned burn (she got it before I saw your suggestion Magoo). I slammed down a couple benadryl too. To give some idea of the scale of insanity of this itch, I've broken my back, busted my jaw in 3 spots, broke my collarbone twice, and snapped my thumb so bad emergency surgery was necessary and I've never taken a pain pill; ever. In fact I haven't taken medication of any sort (tylenol, asprin, etc) since I was around 14. But this was beyond any broken bone I'd ever had. I was quite literally going insane with itch.

I'm just glad to get some relief. I would never kill you Wells, now Engle on the other hand.... ;)

Why don't you punch yourself in the nutsack?

Pretty sure he can't have kids then and he won't enjoy himself anymore. Though on the bright side you'd be so concerned about that you will trick your mind about your back.

Other than that, my mom sells this Mary Kay stoof. It helps with Sunburn a lot!

Upon closer examination - it was brought to my attention something I didn't realize before...

This burn is bad enough that the back of my shoulders (and portions of my upper back) are now covered in small groups of blisters running from my spine out to the deltoid/outer-shoulder area. This burn is worse than I originally thought.

The only other time I've had a sunburn that was nasty enough it blistered was when I was around 6 on my calf because I fell asleep on a beach in Florida with one leg hanging out from the shade of the umbrella.

Oh well, the itch is gone for now and hopefully for good. I'll just keep an eye on it.

Thanks again for the help/ideas guys... truly very appreciated.