Forcing Rates

Magoo

I hear that there is a way to force all users that connect to the server to use all the same rates.

I do not see a downside to this if we can in fact implement it. We could have all users have their updaterate and cmdrate values set to 67 and then have the rate set to min 25000 max 30000 or something like that. I know that some of the players that connect to the server mess with their rates to make it hard for them to get hit. I don't know if it actually works but I know people do it because they think it does.

I agree. I also think there needs to be some enforcement of ping on the server. A 200MS limit should be enforced. I do understand we have some members who play from Europe and Asia. Unfortunately it is unbearable to play with them. This game, for whatever reason, seems to cater to people who have high ping. Countless times you'll be running from point A to point B and you'll seem to be sucked back and killed in a place where you were a half second ago. I'm sure everyone understands what a ping is, so I wont bother explaining it. The player named "Lena Park" is the worst I've come across, and I refuse to be on the opposite team of him because he is always over 200MS.

a lot of the people that play on our servers do have there own configs, and this could fuck up there whole config altogether and make them not want to play. I don't think it is a good idea, and i don't think changing your rates changes how you get hit, it changes the reg on hitting others.

The ping checker was removed from the server last I heard. It was causing the server to crash.

Everyone is already subject to a rate cap that is somewhere around 30000. There is a maximum set because of server bandwidth limitations. So even if your auto cfg file tells the server to use 60000 for you because you have super fast internet it will cap you at 30000.

The change would be on the minimum rate cap, cmdrate value, and updaterate value. The way the server is configured we should all be using 67 for those two later values and if you have garbage internet you should still be able to use rate 25000.

The server caps would override any auto cfg settings that you might have.

I have seen people in the server with 1-5 ping because they are ping masking by altering these values and I have also heard the Captain yell at people that we do not allow people to ping mask in our servers.

If someone comes into the server with a 600 ping can I ban them? Admins could act as manual ping checkers while we are on the server.

You're treading on some old ground Magoo... The server has had these settings since about when we moved servers: (copy/pasted right from our cfg file)

sv_maxrate "25000" // Max bandwidth rate allowed on server

sv_minrate "13000" // Min bandwidth rate allowed on server

sv_maxupdaterate "67" // Maximum updates per second that the server will allow.

sv_minupdaterate "33" // Minimum updates per second that the server will allow.

sv_maxcmdrate "67" // Maximum updates per second that the server will allow.

sv_mincmdrate "33" // Minimum updates per second that the server will allow.

The server forces anyone above or below those rates to the max/min possible. Aside from hacking our server cfg file, you can't get around these settings.

As for high ping, I am not going to be authorizing a ban, that just seems a step too far. If it is really having an effect on gameplay, a kick should suffice. (High ping usually does very little to registry and all that crap that people complain about.) We can discuss the idea of banning high ping later, but for now it's only an inconvenience.