The Movie Review Thread.

Ford 1st MRB

Since out of the thousands of threads on the forums, there aren't any related to movie reviews, I figured I'd go ahead and start one.

Seen a good movie lately? Perhaps an older movie others may not be aware of? Post your thoughts/reviews below to let others know why they should, or should not see it.

I'll start this off.

Source Code (2011)

Director:

Duncan Jones

Cast:

Jake Gyllenhaal

Michelle Monaghan

Vera Farmiga

Plot Summary:

Colter Stevens, a US Army helicopter pilot whose last memory is flying in Afghanistan, wakes up on a commuter train. However, he discovers that he has assumed the identity of another man. 8 minutes later, the train explodes and Stevens finds himself in some kind of pod. (I won't reveal the rest of it since it's kind of a spoiler.)

My take on it:

Watch it! Best sci-fi movie I have seen since Inception. I was a fan of Jake Gyllenhaal before this movie and his performance only solidified that with this movie. The movie is well written, well directed, and the acting is top notch. Go watch it!

[color="#FFFFFF"][b]Director:[/b][/color]

[color="#FFFFFF"][b]Cast:[/b][/color]

[color="#FFFFFF"][b]Plot Summary:[/b][/color]

[color="#FFFFFF"][b]My take on it:[/b][/color]

Edited by Ford 1st MRB

Friends With Benefits

Director:

Will Gluck

Cast:

Mila Kunis

Justin Timberlake

Patricia Clarkson

Woody Harrelson

Plot Summary:

While trying to avoid the clichés of Hollywood romantic comedies, Dylan and Jamie soon discover however that adding the act of sex to their friendship does lead to complications.

My take on it:

I thought it was good without being too much of a chick flick. Mila Kunis looked absolutely smokin' hot in it. It has it's moments that made me laugh, Woody Harrelson playing a very macho gay sports editor for GQ was classic. All in all I liked it, and would recommend it as a date movie for you and the little lady, it may even put her in the mode for some horizontal mambo lessons. :) For a romantic comedy, it's definitely not a bad watch.

• 3 weeks later...

The Way

Director: Emilio Estevez

Cast: Martin Sheen, Emilio Estevez, Deborah Kara Unger, James Nesbitt, Yorick van Wageningen

Plot Summary: A father heads overseas to recover the body of his estranged son who died while traveling the "El Camino de Santiago" from France to Spain.

My take on it: For those of you who don't know, the El Camino de Santiago is the 800km walk that Saint James took a thousand years ago and pilgrims take now. The pilgrimage ends at Cathedral of Santiago de Compostela in Galicia, where the Apostle Saint James is buried.

I went to this movie on Thanksgiving with my family and I was very glad that I did. As the movie emphasizes, El Camino de Santiago is not entriely just for people with religious intentions, and niether is this movie. I'm not very religious, (my father is) and I initially went to the movie more as a favor to him since I had known he wanted to see it. I was very pleasantly suprised, Emilio Estevez plays the rebellious son of Martin Sheen (Estevez actually being Martin Sheen's son). The dialogue between the two is strained at best, and those scenes were not the enjoyable parts of the movie. When Martin Sheen's character takes the pilgrimage, the characters and settings he encounters are where the movie becomes truly interesting.

I heartily recommend this movie to anyone who wants an interesting movie along a slightly different take than you may be used to. The movie was released a number of other places before it got to me, so I could be late on this one. Check it out anyways.

• 1 month later...

Next Three Days

Director: Paul Haggis

Cast: Russell Crowe, Elizabeth Banks

Plot Summary: A married couple's life is turned upside down when the wife is accused of murder. Left with no other options the husband decides to plan an escape for her.

My take on it: I've seen this movie on the list of online movies on Netflix for some time, but for some reason kept passing it up, because I've never heard of it before. Tonight, I thought I'd watch it, because I read the description, and it sounded good. Plus, I don't think I've seen a Russell Crowe movie I haven't enjoyed. So I hit play and realized that I was up for a doozie, since it's 2 hours and 13 minutes long. It starts out confusing, with time jumping forward and backwards a little bit, and then it get's pretty slow in the middle, but damn if I wasn't muffling screams (As not to wake my wife sleeping on the other side of the house) for the last 45 minutes of it. I would recommend this movie if you like movies about ordinary people deciding to put themselves through extraordinary risks. Once stuff started happening in the last half, I almost felt like turning it off because, I know that I could never bring myself to do anything the main character does in this one. Stress levels aside, I rated it a 4 / 5 stars on Netflix, but I'm still pondering that last one.

Edited by Ultranator BAR

28 Weeks Later (2007)

Director:

Juan Carlos Fresnadillo

Cast:

Jeremy Renner

Rose Byrne

Robert Carlyle

Plot Summary:

IMDB.com:

"Six months after the rage virus was inflicted on the population of Great Britain, the US Army helps to secure a small area of London for the survivors to repopulate and start again. But not everything goes to plan."

28 Weeks later is the sequel of 28 Days later (2002):

IMDB.com:

"Four weeks after a mysterious, incurable virus spreads throughout the UK, a handful of survivors try to find sanctuary."

My take on it:

Wow! It's not often you see a sequel being better than the original movie. THIS is!

When I first saw "28 days later" I absolutely loved it. Yes, we know the story; virus, infection, run run run! So, not much to add there.

BUT it was all about the journey from start to finish. And it was just amazing.

So when I decided to watch the sequel, "28 weeks later", I didn't have much hope that it would be even better than the first. I was wrong.

If you haven't seen both movies, I recomend you see "28 days later" first, but "28 weeks later" is also a good movie on it's own.

I watched "28 days later" again, after watching the sequel, not recommended. "28 days later", even thoug I loved it the first time, is a bummer compared to the sequel.

I thought 28 days later was intense, THIS is intense.

I thought 28 days later was dramatic, THIS is dramatic.

I thought 28 days later was epic, THIS is EPIC!

Oh, and the first 10 minutes of the movie; pooowerful shit, the "rage virus" is not a pretty thing...

Space Truckers (1996)

Director:

Stuart Gordon

Cast:

Dennis Hopper

Debi Mazar (tits)

Plot Summary:

Jack Canyon's one of the few independent space truckers left who owns his own rig. In order to escape a riot at a space-truckstop. accepts an illegal cargo contract to haul military androids. Shit hits the fan. There's space pirates, space trucks, space pigs, and a motorized cybernetic space-wang.

My take on it:

This thing is b-movie gold. If you're in the mood for some classic sci-fi cheese but require color and a fast paced plot that is actually fit for purpose, you can't go wrong with Space Truckers.

Trailer: