First attempt at house

Cayen

While I'm certainly no expert, I like music as much as the next guy.

Having only ever recorded in a studio a handful of times, and having done a lot of 'homemade' recordings I'll chime in with what I think would be directional comments;

Watch your peaks. There were a few spots where it was clipping; you can always turn it up, but getting loud things to blend together nicely is difficult without seeing a lot of peaking and getting a lot of clipping which makes good music sound bad, and great music sound amateur. Give your instruments some change in dynamic - to help give some depth of sound maybe put certain tracks a little panned left, some panned to the right slightly, this will help it to 'surround' you. Changing their levels and playing with the volume of them will help a lot too; it will give it a more intricate feel/sound as opposed to everything being at the same volume.

Also, check out some of the fruity loops things (Arpegiator is one I think?) there are a lot of cool built in tools that really help 'chop up' some portions of the song and find notes that are 'melodic' in nature but make the same repetitive beat sound different every few bars.

FL Studio has literally thousands of ways to adjust every little aspect of the music - never be afraid to try that out. People will get bored with the same beat over and over, give it some change - think of it more like a traditional song with a verse chorus and bridge - come up with 2 or 3 beats and blend them together at various places to give it a little 'change' so people don't hit the 1 minute mark and go "okay, next!"

I think it needs more on top of the main beat also - the main beat is so overly prevalent it's all you focus on, and it's exactly the same from the first second to the last second. I would done the volume down on that track a bit, and focus more on finding some good melodic basslines to accompany that main beat - then layer in more sound on top of that (similar to that bell/chime thing that faded in and faded out). Build off that beat, but make it just a beat - not the only thing you can hear and focus on in the song. If there are other melodic things playing off that beat, the 'beat' will be heard - even if it's more implied than actually heard/felt; even in house.

A great example of my last point is this:

Different style of music, sure - but it gets the point across. His clapping isn't really 'the beat', but through his voice you hear the beat. You get this beat in your head going along with his singing; and that's all he's doing! In your music you're giving them the beat so they can clearly hear it - but that doesn't need to be all they hear.

Also (lastly) silence is a note. Keep that in mind as well - you can do COOL things with using silence like a musical note in itself.

A great example of this:

Listen from the 6 minute mark to the end around 7:15 it's built and he's beginning to assault your ears with high amounts of 'silence' input into the song so quickly it becomes so amazing in so many ways. Your brain goes from complete silence to music so quickly you begin to feel like you're going nuts! It's another cool effect to think about with electronic music - when I hear it, it gives me wood if it's used effectively. I chose this piece because it goes beyond using silence as a note, to making silence this ridiculously over-used beast that rips off your ears. I love Aphex Twin.

All that said, I thought you had a good thing going, although it's very rough. Keep playing - FL Studio is so amazing you can do so much. You're making me want to play around again... damnit!

**EDIT**

Your song reminded me of this dubstep song: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=135yH1rZHGI

But listen carefully for the differences in volume and how the beat 'changes' while the backbone of the song remains fairly the same.

I thought it was alright. The drum beats were great, and well timed. The music needed something though. I'm not sure what program you were using, but the tone was just off somehow. Add some bass and some melodic tones to it, and it would sound a lot better. Also, what Goodwin said about silence is true too. Maybe throw a filler in and a pause before picking the main beat back up.