Food that will impress...

Goodwin 1st MRB

So - you've got a woman (or man) who you're trying to impress...

what better way to woo them than with a good homecooked meal? Okay, maybe it's a not a 'meal', but it's hot sandwich (panini?) that will leave them begging for more and feeling completely satisfied!

I first tried this at a small joint called the Morgan St. Cafe, close to the Sears tower (eff the willis tower!) in downtown Chicago. This restaurant is actually around Greektown, but it's amazing. The sandwiches are top notch and it's there I first had their "Desperado"

I couldn't find the recipe (or remember exactly what kind of meat was on it); but I've found this to be almost identical!

The sandwich rundown:

A hot ciabatta roll with turkey, munster cheese, pico de gallo and chipotle mayo.

If you're like my fiance, some of you may be saying "wow, that sounds like the worst combination ever."; but give it a chance - the flavor combination will absolutely turn your whole idea of flavor balance on it's head.

The Pico De Gallo:

If you know how to make pico de gallo you like, go for it. This is how we've decided to go about it:

4 tomatoes (cubed pretty small)

1.5 sweet onions (some people use red, or white, we've found sweet onions balance the flavor very well)

1/4 of a jalepeno

1/2 (or 3/4 if you're daring) of a habenero (de-seed for less heat, or add a few seeds and a bit of the stem for a nice heat that really rolls on)

You can also eliminate the habenero all together, and just use a bit more jalepeno for more heat if you'd like. Or if you don't like hot? Just use 1/4 jalepeno.

3 TBsp of Cilantro (or to taste)

the juice from 1/2 of a lime

3 cloves of garlic

1 tsp garlic powder

3/4 tps Cumin

dash of salt, dash of pepper (to taste)

Mix all ingredients together in a bowl - and you're done.

Chipotle Mayo:

buy 1 can of Chipotle Peppers in Adobo Sauce

In a food processor add

2-4 (depending on the heat you want) of the Chipotles out of the can

1 cup mayo (we used salad dressing/miracle whip with GREAT results!)

1-1.5 TBsp of the adobo sauce from the can

the juice of 1/2 (or a whole - depending on your taste) lime

pinch of salt, pinch of black pepper (to taste)

Puree that mixture for a bit - add any additional salt/pepper to taste.

Put it all together....

Cut yourself a bit of the ciabatta roll, put the turkey and cheese on it, top it with some of the pico de gallo, and put the chipotle mayo on the roll and put it together!

Toss it on a panini press (or on a hot grill) for a bit to warm it through.

Eat and enjoy.

This sandwich will make your mouth thank you, your stomach happy and your date think you're an Iron Chef.

It's easy/fast to make and is amazing - you will not be sorry.

My fiancee can be a pretty picky eater and she does not like trying new things; we have eaten these for dinner probably 4 times in the past 2 weeks. Despite her doubts, after her first bite she undeniably proclaimed "Wow, this is amazing" - she rated it a 9.7 out of 10.

It's nice because you can adjust the heat to your liking too - we used around 3/4 of a large habenero in ours tonight... and the pico de gallo was VERY hot. We used chipotle peppers in our mayo too - so our sandwiches have a lot of bite. The sandwich really surprises you. Even with lots of heat, it's a 'slow heat' that just makes your mouth warm - but slowly and in such a way that you don't mind it - and you get all that great flavor!

Seriously, try it - you can thank me later.

I find onions hot so...

you can do without the peppers all together... and for the chipotle mayo if you were to just put in 1, or 1/2, it would just have barely any kick but be delicious (probably about the same kick as the onions).

If you use the sweet onions you'll be far happier because there is no 'hot' bite to them... it really helps the pico de gallo to be very mellow.

That will make it not hot/spicy at all, but still delicious!