Resolved - Making polls in forums

Quarterman 1st MRB

Question

Name: Keith Quarterman

Type of issue: It seems I can't make polls in forums.

Brief Description of Issue: Just wont let me, i know im doing it right. Maybe I need acess or something. Please check into it, thanks!

***Medical Supply Staff ONLY Below this line***

Current Status: Resolved

Main Technician: Pfc. Holland

Supporting Technician:

Edited by Holland 1st MRB

20 answers to this question

BBS (Bulletin Board Systems) such as this, always have default "group" permissions. An admin would have to modify the permissions for your account specifically.

Likelihood of an admin giving forum permissions to one specific person however, I would imagine being quite low.

You may or may not be able to post polls in the Slope Chute. (haven't checked).

I will keep this topic open, until a forum admin with permissions access can confirm or deny your request.

EDIT :: I have gone through most of the major sections of the forum, and I can post polls in most all of them.

Although, I do have a restricted moderator status on the forums, due to my office positions. This would mean I have different permissions than normal users, and could be the reason I can post polls.

Unfortunately, I am assuming that only Parker, Yama, and perhaps a few select others have access to modify permissions. I will contact my superiors in the MSO, and see if they can contact somebody to look into this further.

I've double checked your permissions and you should have the ability to post polls.

Polls can be made at any time in a topic.

To create a poll, when making a new topic click on the link that says "Click here to manage this topic's poll" under Poll Options

PollOptions.png

This will open the poll management, come up with a title for your poll

AddTitle.png

Then you can add up to 7 poll questions with 20 choices per question

Questionchoices.png

What exactly are you trying to do? Which forum are you putting a topic in? What are the steps you are taking? What is happening in response to your attempt? (Access denied screen, simply nothing, no poll option what-so-ever, etc.)

Just to clarify, you must post polls in a separate topic. You cannot reply with a poll.

Stating that you are following Yama's steps is not enough, and effectively giving us nothing to help you from.

Follow this checklist; if you have everything in it, then I would assume the problem is within the system.

Main topic title

Poll title

At least one poll question

At least two choices within that poll question

Main topic text

If an admin with permissions access could double check forum permissions between user groups. I understand Yama has already double checked, but perhaps there is conflicting permissions between user groups. (ie. the "Corporal user group" allows polls, whereas the "Normal user group" does not.)

Edit: I was able to make a poll in the Sports section. Please look closely at the content of your topic, and make absolutely sure that you have filled what is required in. Be sure that you are putting choices inside the questions (perhaps we are making two questions, instead of two choices).

If an admin with permissions access could double check forum permissions between user groups. I understand Yama has already double checked, but perhaps there is conflicting permissions between user groups. (ie. the "Corporal user group" allows polls, whereas the "Normal user group" does not.)

Permission sets on the forums will always inherit the "better." Even if he is in the normal user group (which also has permission to start polls), he would inherit the ability to start polls from his Corporal user group because it is the better permission. If I were to mark you as banned (no forum access at all) and then gave you the Lt. Col. user group as a secondary group, you would gain all access from the latter.

I even tested his access with the test user, gave myself all the permissions he had and was still able to post polls.

Here is a quick PSR recording on how to post a poll:

how_to_post_a_poll.zip

(Sorry the images are so small, dual monitors will do that)