A Video Guide On How To Build A Computer

Janke 1st MRB

Question

Gentlemen (and ladies), since building one's own computer is becoming more and more popular nowadays, I myself decided to jump on that bandwagon. One of my computers fried, so instead of replacing it with an entirely new computer I decided to build one. I decided I'd get some friends together, the friends in a group we started called F-Tang, and make a video guide on how to build a computer, to help those who want to build their own computers know how to go about it. The result was The F-Tang Guide on How to Build a Computer, which can be found at the following location in a 5 part series on youtube:

http://www.youtube.com/view_play_list?p=5158F002FC23969B

Each individual video can be viewed at the following:

Part 1

Part 2:

Part 3:

Part 4:

Part 5:

I hope these videos have helped those who are looking at building their next computer instead of buying it pre-built.

11 answers to this question

Well I'm one of those people who buy built computers. One thing I noticed is that people who build their own computers have to maintain them more frequently than pre-built computers, otherwise they constantly crash. That might be because they built them wrong, I'm not sure.

I've never built a computer before, but I've been considering it recently. If I were to build one, what would be the ballpark total cost to build (a) a pretty good one? (b) a kickass one?

And what parts would you get for each?

Right now what I know I have is:

Processor - Intel Core Quad CPU Q6600 @ 2.40GHz 2.40GHz

RAM - 3.00 GB

System - Vista 32-bit

Power Supply - 600 W

Graphics - Nvidia GeForce 8800 GTX

Well I'm one of those people who buy built computers. One thing I noticed is that people who build their own computers have to maintain them more frequently than pre-built computers, otherwise they constantly crash. That might be because they built them wrong, I'm not sure.

I've never built a computer before, but I've been considering it recently. If I were to build one, what would be the ballpark total cost to build (a) a pretty good one? (b) a kickass one?

And what parts would you get for each?

Right now what I know I have is:

Processor - Intel Core Quad CPU Q6600 @ 2.40GHz 2.40GHz

RAM - 3.00 GB

System - Vista 32-bit

Power Supply - 600 W

Graphics - Nvidia GeForce 8800 GTX

Pretty good ~$700, Kickass, ~$1200

And what you've got now is only slightly worse than mine, I've got just 1 more GB of RAM and a GeForce 9600GT better than what you've got, you're in a pretty good position in terms of computer for the time being.

As well, I've never seen that before. I've never really heard of them breaking down more frequently, but sometimes certain parts (such as RAM) need to be replaced. RAM even breaks on pre-builts, had several sticks go on my old rig.

I agree with Parker on built computers needing more maintenance. My computer has had several problems but sense I built it I usually know what the problem is. So unlike factory built ones, you can usually identify the problem then fix it quickly rather than calling some support desk in India or dishing out money for some simple ass repair.