Resolved - Horrible Lag.

Brown

Question

Name: Travis Brown

Type of issue: Not 100% sure

Brief Description of Issue: I've been having a lot of problems with slow internet lately. My ping in DoD:S is somewhere between 300-700ish ping. Other games work fine, but else where internet is slow as well. It may be because of a virus? So if you could recommend a good anti virus, or spyware or whatever lol, Or because I currently do not have a passworded wifi, someone might be stealing my internet? I use a net gear router for my wifi, but am unable to figure out how to put a password on the wifi. Any help that you could give would be fantastic, I currently use norton, but am told that is shit. Also, not sure if it matters, but might help you with helping me figure out whats wrong, but my download speed is between 20-120 kb/s which im pretty sure is very slow? lol. Anyways, just trying to give as much info as possible.

***Medical Supply Staff ONLY Below this line***

Current Status: Resolved

Main Technician: N. Holland

Supporting Technician:

4 answers to this question

Thank you for posting an MSO ticket.

Some quick questions that would help us, to help you;

Do you have anyone else on your network that you are aware of?

What kind of internet do you have?

What is the situation of your wireless device? (ie, the location that your computer is connecting to. Basement, same room, etc)

How is the weather outside?

Have you restarted your router recently?

Firstly, we should look into your wifi. Wireless internet is rather unreliable, as any kind if interference will disrupt it (things as simple as your TV remote, your microwave, wiring in your house (if the signal must travel through walls), or even a commercial plane flying overhead). The simplest way to test this is to connect your computer directly to your connection. Alternatively, you can move your computer into close proximity to the hub (router or other wireless device that you connect to) that you are using in your house for wireless. If interference is the issue, you should be seeing some improvement from this.

*Note* that if you are using a mobile internet service, it could be interference between your mobile hub and the provider.

Restart any router you may have, along with any device given to you by your ISP (Some ISP require you use a separate "connection device", that links to your router, then to your computer (Mostly with mobile internet)). After turning it off, wait a minimum of 10-60 seconds before switching it back on. Give a full 5 minutes or so for your connection to recover.

Should the connection be coming through fine from your wireless internet to your computer, I suggest you give your ISP a quick shout out. Ask them if they are experiencing any difficulties with their system, and give a brief explanation of your problem (As simple as "My internet is very slow.").

Next, I would be looking into your connection via your router controls. If you bring up the manual for your router, it should have steps for that specific router on how to access these.

However, I will post the general ones here as well.

Firstly, open up command prompt (Run > cmd), and type "ipconfig". You will want to look for your "Default Gateway". This is your router connection. The number listed beside will be something along the lines of 192.168.x.x. Take this number, and type it into the address bar of whatever internet browser you use. This will bring you to your routers control page. At this point, it will ask for a username and password. If you did not change any default settings on your router, the username and password will be the default. Generally, these are found in the manual of your router, but if that is unavailable, you may google the name of your router. Google something along the lines of "default password net gear router". Type the username and password in, and enter. From there, you should be able to view all incoming and outgoing connections to your router, and decipher whether or not there are any connections that are other from your own.

From within this control panel, you will also be able to set a connection password to your wifi, that will help to secure your network.

*EDIT* I looked into the default password of netgear devices for you, and have come up with this. These are the default login credentials for your router, so long as you did not change them.

Username = admin
Password = password
For older devices, password = 1234

If you have changed the password, but cannot remember it, check here for how to reset your router to factory settings.

As for virus protection, Norton does well enough. I have my own beefs with most every anti-virus, and so I will not throw my biased opinion around. Keep in mind there is no such thing as a secure anti-virus, nor is there anything remotely close to 100% protection. Therefore, you do need to keep an eye out for what you are downloading, what sites you are visiting, and so on, regardless of what kind of protection you have. Simply do not partake in sketchy downloads/websites if you are not confident that they are safe.

Make sure your anti-virus is up to date, and run a scan. With Norton, it is most likely to going to pick up anything on your system.

I believe resetting my router and modem worked :D. I reset my router to factory defaults and am currently passwording everything lol. I will let you know in a few days if anything changes, but as it stands, my ping has dropped back to normal about 60-90 ping, from 600ish lol. thank youuuu