Resolved - Is input lag limited to slow motherboards, or can it be the result of a slow CPU?

Garrett

Question

Name: Kenneth Garrett

Type of Issue: Hardware

Brief Description of Issue: My friend tweaks and upgrades laptops. My CPU is absolute weaksauce: Intel Duo Core 2m at 1.83ghz, and I was wondering if it a good idea to take a change and try to upgrade it.

My main problem with gaming (other than the spec limitations) is that if I play any major games, I get such input lag that it's impossible to compete or even take the game seriously. This is what draws the line between what I can and cannot play, not what speed my PC runs it at. Switching back to Windows XP did help, since Windows Vista runs like garbage for no justifiable reason.

So common knowledge states that input lag happens when the processors on your computer aren't meeting at the same time, and I've heard from gamers that this is the result of a bad motherboard. It's been demonstrated that with standard Dell vs Alienware (I don't like either) the main difference is that the motherboard is rated for gaming.

However, I would just like to know if the input lag could possibly be resolved by getting a faster CPU that runs with almost the same voltage/heat.

Specs...

Motherboard: Intel Express 82GM965

Graphics Card: 8600M GT

Processor: Intel Duo Core 2m T5550 (1.83ghz)

RAM: 3GB DDR2

Operating System: Windows XP 32 bit Pro

Rendering Programs: OpenGL, DirectX 6-8

***Medical Supply Staff ONLY Below this line***

Current Status: Resolved

Main Technician: N. Holland

Supporting Technician:

4 answers to this question

I would not suggest you be upgrading individual parts at this point. Input lag, assuming you have already checked potential software sources, is (in my cases, anyways) often caused by a dying motherboard.

When upgrading a computer, you will always want to upgrade things together. For example, having a new CPU with an old motherboard is not likely to be solving many problems.

I would suggest you spend your time and money looking into a new laptop, rather then bringing the old back up.

So to answer the question more directly, no, I do not believe a new CPU would be of much help to you without upgrading the rest of your system as well.

P.S. I suggest you disregard the most recent answer given to you via your Yahoo Answers post. The cause of input lag is not restricted to the amount of RAM you have.

Thank you, your omniscience (not sarcasm). I need a job or something to get money for a desktop. Should any AMD Ultimate or new Asus motherboard be good? Seems easier than building my own PC, to just buy one for like $1200. The only good high-resource games I can see coming out are Battlefield 4 and Unreal 4 games.

If money is a large concern, I wouldn't suggest going as high-end as to pay $1200 for a motherboard. Again, this is more my opinion rather than fact, you may feel differently on the matter.

For example, my current system (desktop) currently has this as a motherboard.

The only issue foreseen with either of the ones you suggested, other than the price, is my suspicion that you would have to upgrade most major components along with it.

Just as an example, when I built my computer (desktop) myself, I had modeled it to specs very similar (though not exact) to this, with some upgraded graphics capabilities. In the end, the entire system was built for under $1000 CAD, including keyboard, mouse, and a 24" monitor.

It is more cost-effective to build your own, though there are certainly other options. In the past, I have bought pre-built computers, making sure they had a decent motherboard, power source, etc. but relatively weak graphics capabilities, then could simply purchase things like graphics cards (which are quite cheap). Generally any store that does not specialize in computers specifically, often have large price inflation for things as simple as a better graphics card.

If you do decide to go shopping, I strongly recommend you stay away from stores like Best Buy, Future Shop, or otherwise which specialize in electronics. Instead, look for stores that specialize in computers specifically. In my experience, these stores generally offered a much better price, for a much better product. They also tend to have better capability to answer most questions you may have.