Quentin Tarantino Responds to the Criticism of Using the N-Word in "Django Unchained"

Legend

Did Mark Twain have to answer for it? Jeeeez. It's time we stopped getting offended FOR other people because it "makes us look tolerant". In Islam, we call that being in "The Haraam Police"; people who tell OTHER people what's good and bad arbitrarily.

heard they took out "the word," from the books in some schools.

http://www.today.com/id/40917583/site/toda...s/#.UPeKIidEGDs

I hate these guys who want to dumb down our literature and our artistic creations just to suit their ideals. Tarantino, and anyone who participates in any of the arts is an artist, and an artist is always conscious of everything that he or she puts into their creation. Using language like the N-word is a deliberate attempt not just to be historically accurate with the language they would have used for blacks at the time, but its meant to be shocking on how blatantly they use it, we are meant to feel the emotional response of shock at the language they are using because it is so derogitory. You cannot create the same response with softer language, that defeats the purpose. I personally don't think anyone should meddle with any artist's work, because then they are altering what the artist wants to achieve by making it in the particular way they are. If they don't like it, then go look at something else that is more to their tastes, but they shouldn't critisize something as bad because they personally don't like it. That's the way I feel about this.

I hate these guys who want to dumb down our literature and our artistic creations just to suit their ideals. Tarantino, and anyone who participates in any of the arts is an artist, and an artist is always conscious of everything that he or she puts into their creation. Using language like the N-word is a deliberate attempt not just to be historically accurate with the language they would have used for blacks at the time, but its meant to be shocking on how blatantly they use it, we are meant to feel the emotional response of shock at the language they are using because it is so derogitory. You cannot create the same response with softer language, that defeats the purpose. I personally don't think anyone should meddle with any artist's work, because then they are altering what the artist wants to achieve by making it in the particular way they are. If they don't like it, then go look at something else that is more to their tastes, but they shouldn't critisize something as bad because they personally don't like it. That's the way I feel about this.

I agree, in Tarantino's video he says he purposely created this film to create dialogue between viewers on subjects we deemed untouchable. And as evidence, people here and all over are open to talking about subject like sexual orientation, race or religion. Tarantino and Louis CK are onto something. Using another word in place of a word is not sensible and seemingly pointless.

My idea on "the word," is I still do not plan to use it regularly (or at all) and especially not in a negative stereotypical way, but the main reason for me not using it is, that there are still many people who are offended by the word itself, regardless of the situation or meaning of how the word is used. In general, I believe in being polite and respectful to everyone's wishes. Although, If any of you catch me using a word improperly that you don't like, call me out on it, and I would be happy to comply and understand where you're coming from.

So, just like the word Gay can be used in a negative stereotypical way, there is a "right," way to use the word like....

That man looks flamingly gay!

edb7b66ef6d68b5b87ef26af3fe293ae4c78e967