The Car/Truck/Gearhead Thread

Xiong

Some of you might know, some of you might not. I'm an extreme car nut. I plan to major in Mechanical Engineering and working in the Automotive industry. Cars have always been my passion, ever since I was a child. Its just something enticing about a car's engine and the magical ways everything works in sync to get you moving. I know a few members here are into cars as well too.. ( Imp, Jab, Zorb, maybe others ). I want to start a thread dedicated to cars / trucks / vehicles in which members can post and share their rides / experiences / stories etc.

I guess I'll start off. I was out today looking around for a car on craigslist. I saw an ad for a Foxbody 91 Mustang 5.0. Called up the guy , said it was available. Went off to check it out. One look at the Foxbody lines through the lot fence and I fell in love. I always seen the foxbodies around my ghetto ass 'hood all donned up in primer / banged up dented but never really thought about them. (Before this, I was looking at 4th Gen Mustangs 94-98).

So yeah, I show up. This thing is all banged to shit....

Craigslist pictures made it look so much better...

mustangfoxbody1_zps6a9fbfca.jpg

mustangfoxbody2_zpsabc80821.jpg

So yeah, lets go over what's wrong with it. Loose door hinges, doors dont close all the way. All the locks are broken, like someone had broken into it before. The trunk doesn't lock or close or open, the ragtop is not aligned nor flush with the windows. Someone hacked off the rear tiny wing / diffuser with a hack saw. Driver side window doesn't roll up all the way. The window liner is also damaged. So yeah, when it rains you're pretty much screwed. I go inside, interior is shot. The back is missing interior panels, rear leather seat is ripped. The shifter is missing a knob, the seats are worn cloth. Here comes the surprises, I looked at the stereo. Decked out Sony system with subs in the front. Upon closer look at the shifter, its a B&M Racing Automatic Shifter. I look on the odometer. 227k miles. I nearly shat myself. Never the less, I decided it was time to open up the hood. I go up, find the hood latch, prop it up. Oh my god, she's a fucking beauty. 5.0 Engine alright. I look around, its decked out with Headers, BBK Cold Intake, other misc bolt on's. I was impressed, cept for some oil on the head. It was leaking a bit. Anyways, I decided to start her up. I will NEVER forget that moment.

Sitting in the drivers seat, I turned the ignition. Mind you, I've never driven a American car... The V8 ROARS to life with minimal effort. Started strong. That moment, I felt my blood pump faster, adrenaline rushing. The hum of the V8 resonated throughout, and I'm sure there was aftermarket H pipe / exhaust down there cause of the rumble. My dad was out in the front listening to the engine for any weird sounds like knocking, creaking etc. I revved her up, and holy shit. I nearly wet myself. The engine was good, even my dad was impressed. I swing back around and get down and look at the exhaust fumes. It smelled of gasoline and oil. It burned a little oil, no biggie. I looked at the rear suspension and was surprised to see it decked out too. Strut bar and struts.

In all, guy wanted $1395 USD for it. I offered $1100, and guy said he would. But after a heated debate between my parents, we decided to pass it on. Rag top needed fixing, high mileage, pretty beat up physically and would need lots of work.

I don't mind the work at all, thats the only reason why I like cars like these. I see potential in them. Pour in your own blood, sweat and tears and turn an apparently near dead steaming pile of shit into something that doesn't cease to impress.

Anyways, anyone else have something to share?

you would put more money into that car than what its actually worth, you could find a car in better condition for less money.

honestly, i wouldnt pay more than 600 for that

Everyone tells me that, but there's no joy (at least to me) of buying a new car or a fully decked out car when you didn't put in any work to get it that way...

I'm a true enthusiast. I want things to be done myself my way. :blush:

you would put more money into that car than what its actually worth, you could find a car in better condition for less money.

Everyone tells me that, but there's no joy (at least to me) of buying a new car or a fully decked out car when you didn't put in any work to get it that way...

I'm a true enthusiast. I want things to be done myself my way. :blush:

At least get a cat that you wont have to put in a million dollars into. just cause i told u not to get this one doesnt mean you have to go buy a flashy one.

Im a bit of a fan of the fox but that one is kinda a peice of shit. Id have to agree with Gearhart on that one about worth no more than 600.

Let me tell you a story of my "first project car". 97 subaru impreza. The 2 door, 4 wheel drive with a 1.8l. Complete hunk of shit that i bought for 500$. I assumed well it runs so it must be worth at least that much. I was wrong there were so many things wrong/broken/needed replacing that it ended up being about a $3000 car that still was not street legal. This project if you will took about 6 months to get to the point of "fuck this fuckin shit i give up, FUCK YOU CAR!". and sold it for 1000. Lost my ass on it and i feel sorry for the poor sole who bought it.

What began with this:

52957_1687972158401_2558416_o_zpsd9672ed

55952_1689925967245_4338260_o_zpsac7c738

Slowly turned into this:

290679_2367735672064_5833276_o_zps441ec0

204615_2007356542811_7861153_o_zps4b886f

But as i kept fixing the broken i just found more problems and safety issues.

So if i could suggest as an avid car enthusiast to another, wait for something much better because you can still dump all of your money into a nicer car. Instead of tacking crap and making it alright, why not take something good and make it awesome!

My 2,500$ worth of advice.

Enh i say props to Xiong for having the balls and wanting to put work into the car. If the engine was really as good as you made it sound, and everything mechanically was pretty good (except leaking oil...) then it seems that the major work would go into the interior and the body work. I personally wouldnt ever take on body work, its just not my thing.

Jabs, did you do your own paint job on the impreza?

Truth be told, im kind of new to the car world. I love cars and i appreciate them, i love working on them and am going into an automotive career as well, i just not that knowledgeable. my dads a pool mechanic and he can fix pretty much anything, so we did some basic stuff on my 2001 Jeep, that was my first car. but he wasnt really into fixing cars as a hobby so i didnt learn too much from him besides some basics. Currently ive got a 2004 Honda Accord EX-L Vtec V6, but im paying so much to get the car paid off that i dont have any money to put any real good work into it. Y'all saw my headlight thread, but honestly ive got to wait on headlights for another 3 months or so.

Ill post pictures of my two cars at some point, and tell y'all the story of selling my jeep xD

Yes i did paint it my self. I didn't want to and that wasn't the original plan. My friend told me he knew a guy with his own paint booth and he was gonna do it for free if i supplied the paint and did the work (as in sanding, bondo/boddyfiller, primer). Long story short we lost contact with him and it turned out he became a coke head and lost all his money. So i ended up destroying the paint job when i tried to do it myself.

Umm, there is no car that would be worth what you put into it...especially if you are looking at older cars. The bonus to the fox's is that parts are cheap and everywhere. And they are pretty simple to make fast...however I personally would never buy a convertible. Just something else to leak and plus if you are looking to make a car fast you are gonna have some nasty flex in the body.

Here is my car 2007 Mustang GT/CS, my daily driver but I plan to start wrenching on it soon :) Intend to put some lowering springs (drop it about 1.5") to eliminate the gap probably first.

post-3739-1361290121_thumb.jpg

I want to pick up an older Mustang, like a 66-70 and slowly do a restomod on it. My wife wants to as well, so thats a step in the right direction lol

• 2 weeks later...

3L83J23He5Ie5Ka5M5d395abc75752b9219a1.jp

I think I'll go cry myself to sleep now.

In other news, I checked out a clean 1979 Ghia Mustang 5.0

Guy wanted 1500 but decided to keep it because he would regret selling it. Check out the condition of the interior. The headliner is perfect.

398913_10151488584504609_1873828327_n.jp

601449_10151488465929609_319376678_n.jpg

Had a 93 Swapped 5.0 with Edelbrock intake manifold and a 4 barrel carb. She purred nicely... :)

• 3 weeks later...

The time has come, for me to get my first car.

The line up.

122k miles. 1995 Toyota Supra Special Edition Naturally Aspirated. Rare car... $13k, from a used car dealership

dat 2JZ engine though.

3If3J33N35N35H55J4d3f09e09a169612137d.jp

3Eb3Mf3J15Nf5Ea5Kcd3f43593b88f9f7183c.jp

137k miles. 2006 Mustang GT 4.6L V8 $10.5k

3Gb3J63Ha5I15Kb5J9d3f1056a28bc1ea16c8.jp

"Steeda cold Air Intake w/heat firewall

Dyno Tuned and Flash Tuned

SCT flash tuner included

Modified Exhaust with glasspacks

After Market Hood Scoop

Quarter Window scoops and Door scoops

Functional hood pins

Locking gas cap

Drilled and slotted front rotors"

a built 5.0 Notchback Fox $5300

3E33G93Nf5Na5Ec5F6d3h056234824cb1170f.jp

"DRIVETRAIN/SUSPENSION

Cobra rear vented 10.5" brakes(5-lug).

1998 cobra rear end .

Ford motor sports 3.55 gears.

Superior 31 spline axles.

T/A girdle.

Eaton HD 31 spline LSD.

All new bearings and seals by HOOPERS.

Welded axle tubes.

UPR double adjustable upper control arms.

UPR double adjustable lower control arms.

Maximum motorsports rear coil-over kit-bilstein shocks.

Maximum motorsports full length sub-frame connectors.

Maximum motorsports panhard rod kit.

Reinforced torque boxes-welded supports plates.

ENGINE/EXHAUST

Stock 302 w/ 114,xxx

Cold air intake

Msd cap/rotor kit

Ford motorsports ignition wires

2.5" off-road H-pipe

2.5" Dynamax ultra flow catback system with chrome tips.

Brand new battery. "

a clean 1986 nearly stock fox. $3000 , 120k miles

Exhaust, B&M autoshifter

3Ka3If3J65Lb5G65J8d3id7e52d87a85c1b7f.jp

I'm leaning towards a the Supra, and getting a fox to build up. But I'd like everyone's input.

Edited by Xiong 1st MRB

I don't know much about that Fox, but itd say it looks like a really sick car, and the mileage on its 302 is a better for the price than the Supra. Toyotas WILL usually run forever (though not as long as Hondas >:) but id have to agree the with point borscht makes, i have no idea how much maintenance costs would be for that, do you? might be something to consider. Also again id say 122k miles for 13k is expensive for ANY car.

Futhermore, stay the FUCK away from that mustang. mileage too high, made by ford, end of story.

Just my 2 cents

Or perhaps...

2009_Yamaha_R1-5.jpg

Pros: Great fuel economy, can park it anywhere, extremely fun to ride.

Cons: Not wise to ride when it's raining or snowing, only room for one/two people max, no trunk, no roof, you need to carry a helmet everywhere you go, gotta where proper clothing, and far more dangerous.