Game of Thrones discussion (Spoilers)

Gardiner 1st MRB

Oh yeah, she just took the city. Oberynn is gonna be so awesome, and I can't wait for Doran. His daughter should be pretty hot too.

If it's true that they're releasing book 6 this Christmas, I will probably disapear off the face of the earth for a week while I read it.

Me too, by what I've seen many of the main characters will be back (Arya, Victarion, Theon, Brienne, Sansa, Tyrion, and Davos all have confirmed chapters) and the first things he'll do is tie up the loose ends he left with Dance of Dragons, namely what happenned at Winterfell, and what happenned at Meeren. I'll wager that they'll be selling copies of that damn book so fast that they'll be paying the shippers double to get them out faster.

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
We finally got a new Daario...

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/live-feed...eme-alum-616705

I liked this guy on Nashville, but I don't see how he's much of an improvement from the last Daario... Isn't he supposed to be some big crazy murdering sob with gold teeth and stuff?

He's crazy, but he only has one golden tooth in the book. The first casting and impression of Daario was bad. The first truly bad casting that GoT has really done so far. I mean, he's supposed to look like this:

250px-Daario_Naharis.jpg

and you give us:

Daario-S3.jpg

Wut? Yea, he was literally supposed to have a blue beard with a blonde mustache. Also the naked lady swords. But I think they had that in the show, they just didn't focus on them.

I like that they cast someone different as Daario. I couldn't stand Ed Skrein as him. I wonder if they'll actually give him the makeup, triple-pointed purple beard, and finer points to match the book, or if they'll keep him clean-shaven and more tame to not confuse the people who haven't read the books.

Edited by Kirkendall 1st MRB

• 2 weeks later...

Wow, that is a very bad casting. Considering how exotic Daario is supposed to look with his beard and hair colour in the books, and considering how they've had no problem pulling the dyes or wigs off with Melisandre and Daenerys, I'm surprised how they didn't go for it with Daario based on that photo. Maybe they thought he would look too out of place, or even ridiculous if he looked like he did in the books? That's the only reason I can think of, and its not really the best reason considering what we've seen so far.

I'm personally waiting to see how they cast the Martells, I've got conflicted ideas about how they're supposed to look in the books, and I'm curious to see how they cast Oberyn, Doran and the Sand Snakes.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
All the deaths in all the books bookmarked.

Screen-shot-2013-11-20-at-9.52.03-AM.png

Hahaha that is awesome!

I can see a few patterns there, and its one that I felt when reading the books. Storm of Swords is without any doubt the most action-packed and dynamic of the books so far, Clash of Kings has the build-up to violence, Feast for Crows is the cool off period, and Dance with Dragons is the build up again. It makes me wonder how he is going to frame Winds of Winter and eventually Songs of Summer. One thing I do know for certain with Winds of Winter is that he is going to resolve the two major military events he left hanging at the end of Dance with Dragons first, but I'm curious as to how much more action we'll see. My educated guess is a lot.

Someone told me he is giving up writing GoT books and will now just write screenplays for the TV series.

Whoever told you that is full of shit, he has already written most of Winds of Winter (and read several chapters of various characters publically) and announced his plans for Songs of Summer being the last. He doesn't even write that much for the TV series, usually one episode a season (mostly the particularly important sections of the books) and is otherwise just a consultant and superviser by the looks of things. Maybe he took a break from writing the books for the moment so that he could write more for this coming season (given how much volatile stuff is going to happen), but that is all I can think of.

Yes. Quite right. A simple Google search would have shown me it was nonsense. I cannot wait for series four. I think season three was infinitely better than two so I'm hoping four will live up to some very high expectations.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I liked this guy on Nashville, but I don't see how he's much of an improvement from the last Daario... Isn't he supposed to be some big crazy murdering sob with gold teeth and stuff?

Yeah, unfortunately many of the characters in the series don't match the basic visual we got from them in the book. Theon for example is supposed to have black hair and have a somewhat dark shade to his skin since he is a Greyjoy. Instead his hair has this colour to it that would resemble a Stark. It's not THAT big of a deal but all they had to do was simply dye his hair black for the series. Same with Asha (Yara). Benioff and Weiss aren't the book purists, i guess.

Edited by Steiner

Yeah, unfortunately many of the characters in the series don't match the basic visual we got from them in the book. Theon for example is supposed to have black hair and have a somewhat dark shade to his skin since he is a Greyjoy. Instead his hair has this colour to it that would resemble a Stark. It's not THAT big of a deal but all they had to do was simply dye his hair black for the series. Same with Asha (Yara). Benioff and Weiss aren't the book purists, i guess.

Yeah, they've changed a fair amount from the books (or at least I think they have since I can pick out most of the changes having read the books fairly meticulously), but to their credit it is the best book-to-film transition I've ever seen, and I've seen quite a few. Therefore I'll always tip my hat off to HBO for its amazing work on bringing the modern American Tolkien's work to life.