2013 NHL Off-Season Thread

Steiner

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thoughts on the deal? Could this make Reimer a trade bait?

Good deal for both clubs. Trade bait? Uhhh no. If you get rid of Reimer then who exactly will be the backup? And if Bernier gets hurt then what? Yaaaa Reimer is staying in T.O. It'll be a 1a/1b combo between them which will create a healthy competitive atmosphere for our two goalies.

Thoughts on the deal? Could this make Reimer a trade bait?

Good deal for both clubs. Trade bait? Uhhh no. If you get rid of Reimer then who exactly will be the backup? And if Bernier gets hurt then what? Yaaaa Reimer is staying in T.O. It'll be a 1a/1b combo between them which will create a healthy competitive atmosphere for our two goalies.

Yeah, i don't believe moving Reimer would benefit the Leafs at all as well. Twitter & this other hockey forum i use have been firing up about him being moved shortly after that trade happened. Gotta love the off-season.

In other news, Oilers GM Craig MacTavish has scheduled to meet with the media on Tuesday. In other words, Hemsky and/or possibly Gagner are probably on the outs :(

Gagner rumored to be going to the Leafs.

http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/report-...-oilers-gagner/

http://www.hockeybuzz.com/blog/Richard-Clo...69#.UcdwvTsqbXo

Edited by Steiner

I'm not sure how I feel about Gagner, he's had some poor seasons in Edmonton. Maybe he's a late bloomer or maybe he just needs a fresh start, I don't know. What I do know is that Dallas Eakins is going to be one hell of a coach for the Oilers. That guy is one of the best coaches I've ever seen for young talent, it's too bad the position was already filled in T.O.

I'm not sure how I feel about Gagner, he's had some poor seasons in Edmonton. Maybe he's a late bloomer or maybe he just needs a fresh start, I don't know. What I do know is that Dallas Eakins is going to be one hell of a coach for the Oilers. That guy is one of the best coaches I've ever seen for young talent, it's too bad the position was already filled in T.O.

I wasn't very fond of the hiring until i did re-search on him. At first, i thought this team really needed an established NHL coach but the more i read about his time with the Marlies and watched videos, the more i liked the hiring. It's cool that he chose us over Vancouver & Dallas because we've been pretty harsh on coaches lately.

Edited by Steiner

Never saw this coming. I bet Luongo is gonna clash with Tortillini big time. I just dont see very good chemistry between the canucks players and tort. Got a bad feeling, but i maybe wrong. Tort new head coach of the canucks. Maybe hes just what the canucks need to give them some organization and make the sedin twins into men.

http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=675147&...id=nhl:topheads

Edited by Mamora BAR

Never saw this coming. I bet Luongo is gonna clash with Tortillini big time. I just dont see very good chemistry between the canucks players and tort. Got a bad feeling, but i maybe wrong. Tort new head coach of the canucks. Maybe hes just what the canucks need to give them some organization and make the sedin twins into men.

http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=675147&...id=nhl:topheads

Torterella is surprisingly similar to AV in his use of advanced statistics and attention to details. As for conflict, I doubt it, the Sedin's requested that management consider Torts for the opening.

And Steiner, hockeybuzz blows. I could come up with more plausible rumours than that awful site.

Ya I never listen to hockey buzz, all their sources are from other media outlets anyways. Torts said he's going to change his ways, I don't buy it. Wait until the Canucks have a 4-game losing streak and then you'll see the real Torts. You can't teach an old dog new tricks.

And i'm ok with that.

You say that now, but his act gets old really quick. He throws players under the bus by talking to the media instead of to the players themselves. Airing out your dirty laundry is not professional and players don't respect people who can't keep their problems quiet to the media. On top of that, he's always so hot-headed that he just storms out of meetings and never answers any questions. I don't think he's a good coach, I think the Tampa Bay team that won the Stanley Cup did it based on talent alone.

Wow Schneider went for soo cheap.... Gillis is the new Milbury! So now the Canucks have a goalie they told they were gonna trade because they liked the other goalie more and now they Luongo and the Canucks are stuck with each other.... LOL! What a shit show in Vancouver right now, the goalie situation could have been handled much much much much better and they could've traded Lou for last year but they wanted too much. Now look at what you gave up for Schneider, literally almost nothing for a viable #1 goalie in the NHL.

The Wild got Nino Niederreiter aka El Nino from New York for Cal Clutterbuck. Not sure if that is good or bad for the Wild. We'll have to wait and see since Nino Niederreiter is still young and needs to develop a little more, but the Wild needed to make room on their cap so this was one way of accomplishing that.

In other news, I like the Bolland pick up by the Leafs. This also means that Bozak will not be returning next year as a Maple Leaf, but I'm fine with that. Bolland is a gritty player and I like a lot of grit and toughness on my hockey team. Put Kadri as the number 1 center or sign one of Lecavalier/Briere/Weis and you've got something like this:

Lecavalier/Briere/Weis

Kadri

Bolland

McClement

I really like that middle! Possibly package Grabovski with some prospects and trade for a top 2 shutdown Dman. OMG the possibilities Bolland just gave us to improve this hockey club gets me excited!

Wow Schneider went for soo cheap.... Gillis is the new Milbury! So now the Canucks have a goalie they told they were gonna trade because they liked the other goalie more and now they Luongo and the Canucks are stuck with each other.... LOL! What a shit show in Vancouver right now, the goalie situation could have been handled much much much much better and they could've traded Lou for last year but they wanted too much. Now look at what you gave up for Schneider, literally almost nothing for a viable #1 goalie in the NHL.

The Wild got Nino Niederreiter aka El Nino from New York for Cal Clutterbuck. Not sure if that is good or bad for the Wild. We'll have to wait and see since Nino Niederreiter is still young and needs to develop a little more, but the Wild needed to make room on their cap so this was one way of accomplishing that.

In other news, I like the Bolland pick up by the Leafs. This also means that Bozak will not be returning next year as a Maple Leaf, but I'm fine with that. Bolland is a gritty player and I like a lot of grit and toughness on my hockey team. Put Kadri as the number 1 center or sign one of Lecavalier/Briere/Weis and you've got something like this:

Lecavalier/Briere/Weis

Kadri

Bolland

McClement

I really like that middle! Possibly package Grabovski with some prospects and trade for a top 2 shutdown Dman. OMG the possibilities Bolland just gave us to improve this hockey club gets me excited!

With the amount of guys we have in the minors that are knocking at the door it would be cheaper and smarter in the long run to get something for Clutter. Ive heard Nino has a very nice upside, but like you said still needs some polishing. I really hope we dont get rid of Seto unless we get a proven Top4 Dman. All I hear about him is how inconsistent he is. He is 26 and just entering his prime and if Cullen resigns and continues to help him develop I see him as a top 4 forward.

Yes, the goalie situation has not been ideal, but at least it is over. Bo Horvat looks to be a very talented player as does Hunter Shinkaruk so I'm happy with our first round selections.

I can't believe Calgary actually passed on Shinkaruk, who was projected to go earlier, and is a home town kid. Pretty laughable. I would be livid if Feaster was my teams GM. Aside from the Schneider trade, not a bad day for the Canucks.

Edited by Steiner

Yes, the goalie situation has not been ideal, but at least it is over. Bo Horvat looks to be a very talented player as does Hunter Shinkaruk so I'm happy with our first round selections.

I can't believe Calgary actually passed on Shinkaruk, who was projected to go earlier, and is a home town kid. Pretty laughable. I would be livid if Feaster was my teams GM. Aside from the Schneider trade, not a bad day for the Canucks.

I just heard Max Domi call the Coyotes a great organization. tumblr_lxuzrcEOAz1qije5xo1_500.gif

user16337_pic12991_1372967826_zps9389793

Oh hey no one's been posting, well allow me to commence:

• Flyers and Giroux agree on eight-year contract extension. The deal is worth $66.2 million, which works out to an average annual value of $8.275 million per season and carries a full no movement clause. Well so much for that lockout lol, seems like the Flyers always want to go big or go home. Maybe this player won't be traded to LA like others were :P
  • Flames sign McGrattan to two-year, $1.5 million deal. $750K a season is not bad for a big guy with some grit, I like this signing by the flames to round out their bottom six guys.
  • Canadiens bring in Briere for two years at $8 million. This signing makes little sense to me, the Canadiens need size not anther 5'7 player. I guess since they lost out on the Lecavalier sweepstakes they went after another Quebec native. I like the term, it's only two years so if he doesn't pan out in Montreal he'll be gone quick.
  • Leafs place Grabovski on waivers for purpose of buyout. I like it and I don't like it. Is he worth 5.5 mil? HELL NO! But we don't have a lot of centers so this leads me to believe that Nonis might sign Weiss or Bozak and Clarkson. If he signs Bozak for anything higher than 3.5 mil/yr I will be upset.
  • Elias signs new three-year, $16.5M contract with Devils. Another loyal member of the Devils organization ending his career there. Classy guy, good for him.
  • Ballard agrees to terms with Wild for 2 years at $3 million. Great price for a character player who wasn't given a fair shake in Vancouver. I think he'll do well in Minny, but this means they aren't going to re-sign Cullen.
  • Bruins trade Seguin, Peverley to Stars for Eriksson. HUGE TRADE! The Bruins give up so early on Seguin!!! It's not like they aren't getting anything in return, Eriksson is a legit 65-70 point player. If I was Peter Chiarelli I would have been too scared to trade Seguin just becuase of attitude, but I'm sure there's more to the story that will come to light very soon.

Yeah my Flyers tend to love to spend money on one player. However I did like the signing of Lecavalier. I didn't like them letting go of Briere but I understood why. The Leafs letting go of Grabovski surprised me a little but I guess they might as Parker said "might sign Weiss or Bozak and Clarkson". I agree on the most recent trade of Eriksson and Seguin. I didn't expect that at all, this should be interesting and so many free agents to sign its gonna be a crazy offseason. I am very glad Elias is going to probably finish his career with the Devils, wonderful guy. Looking forward to see whats going to happen next.

Briere isn't short, just not built like Lucic or Mccarron.

At least at 5'10" he's bigger than DD at 5'7". Is this a precursor to shipping out a C out because even if Galchenyuk plays wing, that means we have Pleks, DD and Eller in top 3. Unless they convince DD to play wing? Because Eller is the biggest C we have and Pleks at wing was horrible.

As for Seguin, sounds like the B's just found that it just wasn't working for them with Seguin's off-ice antics and on-ice, he's just better at a position they have too much depth at. Also his face-off % was just not good enough to be a top 6 C.

They found a perfect dance partner in Dallas which allows the Stars to play two players at their natural positions (Benn @ wing and Seguin @ C). Also Perverley helps they shore up down the middle.

Personally, it was good hockey trade - both teams win. Dallas isn't competing this year (or the next few maybe) so wasting Loui's prime years didn't make sense. If Dallas can clean Seguin up like Chicago "cleaned" Kane up, then Dallas gets the better of this deal. Given that Morrow is still a HUGE unknown - this deal might be looked back on as just cap space + eriksson for Seguin and peverley.

Just curious to see if the B's lack of wing depth now means chasing after Iggy? But kudos to PC, his team was in cap hell with Rask resigning and now they've seemed to manage to have a solid core and room to get those veterans.

Edit: the one deal that I was SOOO surprised to see was Horcoff's stupid salary being successfully unloaded onto Dallas. And Grabo's expletive filled exit interview was HILARIOUS. Indeed, we'll see how much Bozak gets from Nonis now. Although I have to admit that the Kessel trade is looking more and more sweet for the Leafs now that Kessel seems to have righted his ship and becoming an elite player that Burke always thought he is.

Edited by Pandalsson 1st MRB