Dude wtf?!?

Mullaney

Soooooooooooo I made some ice. I poured the water from the filtered pitcher into the ice tray and placed it into the freezer. I go into the freezer a couple hours later to get some more ice and this is what I find.

Someone please tell me how ice freezes UP. I took this with my ipad so the quality is really shitty but how does an icicle form upwards???

download_zps92f7b367.jpg

While most substances contract themselves when freezing (shrinking by decreasing their volume), water does exactly the opposite and expands. That is why a glass bottle of water in a freezer may actually break if not thick enough to withstand the pressure generated by the increasing volume of water.

When a thin crust of ice forms, it can trap a tiny bubble of liquid below. As the freezing goes deeper, the water tries to expand until it reaches a tiny hole in the lower layer of the ice crust.

The bubble tries to go up, but the road is blocked by the hole, so as it begins to solidify, it is forced up through the hole and starts freezing around the edges. Step by step, the droplet shrinks by freezing and the only way the remaining liquid can go is up.

As it climbs, it forms a hollow spike filled with water, until it freezes completely. The spike can grow quite long and thin, as the only energy required to lift the water comes from the expansion of the water itself, during the freezing process.

While most substances contract themselves when freezing (shrinking by decreasing their volume), water does exactly the opposite and expands. That is why a glass bottle of water in a freezer may actually break if not thick enough to withstand the pressure generated by the increasing volume of water.

When a thin crust of ice forms, it can trap a tiny bubble of liquid below. As the freezing goes deeper, the water tries to expand until it reaches a tiny hole in the lower layer of the ice crust.

The bubble tries to go up, but the road is blocked by the hole, so as it begins to solidify, it is forced up through the hole and starts freezing around the edges. Step by step, the droplet shrinks by freezing and the only way the remaining liquid can go is up.

As it climbs, it forms a hollow spike filled with water, until it freezes completely. The spike can grow quite long and thin, as the only energy required to lift the water comes from the expansion of the water itself, during the freezing process.

NERD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

its because the aliens are trying to harvest the water off of our planet and some of your water in your ice try must have been pulled up from the aliens during the process it froze and now you have that.

Anti-gravity! Genius!

Edited by Holland 1st MRB

See I love the response, but why do I want to smack people when I see long responses?

Due to the increase in availability of information these days, which in part is due to the advancements in technology, our attention spans have been drastically altered, and while it might take only 2 to 3 minutes to read such a "long" response, hearing someone say it in a youtube video while fancy graphics fly across the screen and titties bounce up and down in the background with the words PHY and SICS sharpied on each one...well, that keeps us more entertained than just a bunch of words. It is also one of the largest hurdles writers have to face in this day and age; how to keep a reader hooked whose mind is being warped to desire information and entertainment at a speed much too fast than that person can read. It started with radio all the way back in the day, then TV took that over, then the internet...what's next? Virtual reality? Either way, this here is another long informative block of text just to piss you off, eat a dick : )

cv3she0.gif

Edited by T. Brown 1st MRB

Yeah! What he said!

JP

Soooooooooooo I made some ice. I poured the water from the filtered pitcher into the ice tray and placed it into the freezer. I go into the freezer a couple hours later to get some more ice and this is what I find.

Someone please tell me how ice freezes UP. I took this with my ipad so the quality is really shitty but how does an icicle form upwards???

download_zps92f7b367.jpg

OR she doctored the photo! She is pretty pretty good with those signature spays. it looks like the ice cube is giving the finger.

JP