Resolved - New Graphics Card, Power Supply, and Case.

LaGesse 1st MRB

Question

Name:David LaGesse

Type of issue: Hardware

Brief Description of Issue: Okay, for Christmas I received a used Graphics Card: 1536 MB GDDR5 GeForce GTX 480. When I tried to install card it turns out that my power supply could not even hook up to it, or even run it. My power supply is only a 300w I need at least a 600w for the card itself. Also the card would fit in the x16 graphics slot BUT would not fit the DVI slots into the back of the case. Thus I need a bigger case and a better power supply. In turn I went to Ebay. Got a Kentek 750w single fan ATX Power Supply. As for the case I went from my current Mini case and went to Ebay for a Medium Case. Estimated time of arrival is the 30th for the case and the 31st for the Power supply

Now for the problem.

I knew how to put the graphics card in the mother board. However, as for the Power supply AND to transfer everything (HDD, Motherboard, DVD drive etc.) from my Mini Case to the New Medium case. I have no clue what to do.

Help me! O_O!

***Medical Supply Staff ONLY Below this line***

Current Status: Pending Reply

Main Technician: TSgt. J. Kirk

Supporting Technician:Pfc. T. Heresy

Edited by Heresy 1st MRB

8 answers to this question

It may help to review how the cables are connected within the current system and document them if you need to. For instance seeing how the cables are plugged into the motherboard, drives, fans, and other components. The easiest way would be to take several pictures so that you can reference them later when you are putting the components back into the new case. In best practice you should be wearing a static wristband when handling components, but I have generally gotten away with just making sure that I am discharged by touching something metal around me before handling components (no warranty on this ;) ).

Here are some instructions that might help, but if you really want to understand it better I would review a video like this to understand the process to install the components.

http://youtu.be/0bUghCx9iso

Steps to remove components from old case:

1. Review how cables are connected

2. Take pictures

3. Review again how cables are connected :)

4. Unplug and remove all drives

5. Unplug (if plugged in to power or sound) peripheral cards like video and sound and remove them

6. Unplug wires connected to the motherboard and carefully place them out of the way so that you can remove the board

7. **Carefully** unscrew the motherboard making sure to take your time so that you do not slip off the head and damage the board

8. Ease the motherboard out by tilting it up from the side away from the back connector side. This generally is the way but use your best judgement and do not force the board out. If you run into a lot of resistance, stop and investigate if there is something that you missed or did not unplug. Also do not use the CPU or other module on the board as leverage to lift the board out, only hold the side edges.

9. Remove the motherboard connector punch out plate in the back

**Also make sure you have a good clean work area to place all these things temporarily before starting to remove them**

Steps to insert components into new case:

1. Make sure that all the cables in the new case are out of your way

2. I suggest putting the power supply in first so that you do not have to handle this heavy object in the case when your motherboard or other components are in there

3. Insert the motherboard connector punch out plate in the back

4. Put in the required motherboard screw posts and ease the motherboard in like you took it out of the old case

5. Connect the motherboard to the fans and power supply

6. Insert and hookup the video card and other cards

7. Insert and hookup the drives.

8. Power on and hope for the best!

Hope that helps,

Heresy