Resolved - Computer won't turn on

LaGesse 1st MRB

Question

Name: David LaGesse

Type of issue: Hardware

Brief Description of Issue:

Ok I have no idea why my computer won't even turn on anymore. I recently installed a new graphics card, power supply, and moved all my components from a mini case to a medium case. Everything was working great for about a week or so. Couple days ago I had to shut it down and move it to a different room in the house for a few hrs (installing new carpet in the room) I bring it back and plug everything back in the way it was now it won't even turn on. I took the side panel off and looked around the motherboard and plug-ins everything is in order. Even the motherboard is receiving power (a little green light on the motherboard comes on when I plug the power supply into the wall.... Help me please I'm extremely frustrated about this

***Medical Supply Staff ONLY Below this line***

Current Status: Resolved

Main Technician: J. Candy

Supporting Technician: T. Heresy

Edited by Candy 1st MRB

20 answers to this question

LaGesse,

A few general things you might check and a few questions:

-Make sure that the power button from your case is still plugged into the motherboard. It might seem simple, but if that button connector is not connected the computer will not turn on.

-Make sure the case (if it has one) switch in the back on the power supply is in "on" position.

-How did you shut down the computer when you moved it to the other room?

-Is the computer on the floor resting on carpet or do you set it on a mat or stand?

-When you handle the computer do you use a device to ground the static charge?

These are all very broad questions to get an idea what has happened to the computer. More specific problems can be dealt with once we get these out the way.

-Make sure that the power button from your case is still plugged into the motherboard. It might seem simple, but if that button connector is not connected the computer will not turn on.

I checked that even unplugged and plugged it back in

-Make sure the case (if it has one) switch in the back on the power supply is in "on" position.

Checked that as well it was on

-How did you shut down the computer when you moved it to the other room?

I shut it down by selecting shut down from the desktop. Waited till it shut down and unplugged everything

-Is the computer on the floor resting on carpet or do you set it on a mat or stand? A stand and when I moved it it was put down on a wooden desk

-When you handle the computer do you use a device to ground the static charge?

No. However I did discharge static by touching metal anytime I took the panel off and consistently did so while working on it.

Edited by LaGesse 1st MRB

Well based on what is happening.

1. unhook and plug back in all the power cables, ram, and the graphics card

2. Pull out the cmos battery from the motherboard (make sure the power is unplugged) plug in power cord to power supply hit power button on tower unplug power from power supply hit power button discharging capacitors then place cmos battery back in.

3. Check your mobo for any buldging capacitors if the first 2 dont work.

2. Pull out the cmos battery from the motherboard (make sure the power is unplugged) plug in power cord to power supply hit power button on tower unplug power from power supply hit power button discharging capacitors then place cmos battery back in.

Ok I'll give this a shot....however I do not know what #3 is...

Ok I'll give this a shot....however I do not know what #3 is...

http://www.tnpcnewsletter.com/dan/Bulging_Capacitors/

Ok computer is now turning on however....my monitor isn't receiving a signal from the tower...I've tried unplugging and plugging DVI cables on both monitor and tower ends. Even tried plugging the tower end into the motherboard DVI port and the extra DVI port on the graphics card....wtf is going on here!?

Ok computer is now turning on however....my monitor isn't receiving a signal from the tower...I've tried unplugging and plugging DVI cables on both monitor and tower ends. Even tried plugging the tower end into the motherboard DVI port and the extra DVI port on the graphics card....wtf is going on here!?

If you are going to use the onboard graphics you have to remove the graphics card from the case. Do that then test it. Also test to see if it will hook up to other monitors.

LaGesse,

Try a different monitor cable if you have one. Its worth a try.

Also, make sure that none of the pins on the cable are bent over, this could cause some issues with the cable.

If you can get a monitor signal, Try this procedure next:

Unplug the power from your computer

Take out your new graphics card again

Boot the computer with onboard graphics

If you can get to Windows with the onboard video, go to the Control Panel>Display adapters and go into the onboard video card and click to "disable" it.

Then shut the computer down, unplug the power and reinstall your new video card.

Reboot the computer and it will default to your new graphics card.

Hopefully this will help man...

Ok it's not the cable or the monitor. Cause everytime I plug in and unplug the DVI from the tower my monitor blinks and says "no input". Also, dunno if this helps, But my tower doesn't even go thru boot up. Yes, it turns on and the fans go....but the fans don't slow down and my motherboard speaker doesn't beep at all.

Ok I dunno wtf I just did but everything works...all i did was take out EVERYTHING of the case and put it all back together...works fine now! typing this from the PC now instead of my GF ipad. We're good to go!

Still though...makes me wonder...what caused all of this? All I did was move my PC to a different room and bring it back after the carpet was installed...

Great! Glad to hear it man! I think it was something simple:

Either you unplugged a wire or some wires got jiggled in the move and were not fully seated back. By taking everything out and putting it all back in you was able to eliminate all the problems and have a fresh start. Good for you!

Can we close this ticket now then?

Edited by Candy 1st MRB