Tree planting, anyone?

Arsenault 1st MRB

I know a forum like ours might be a strange place to talk about that but I was wondering if any of you guys have ever done some tree planting. I'm mainly looking to do it in the western part of Canada ie. British Columbia or maybe Alberta so I'm looking for advices / testimonies from people who have done that before in that general region. Actually, if you've done that before, wherever it was, I'd be interested to hear more about your experience. I found this site that has a lot of info but I'd prefer to also discuss it with you guys as this community always has something to bring to a discussion.

I have some friends at the university who have done it before but it was mainly in the Province of Québec, the thing is that me and my girlfriend are aiming to go do it in British-Columbia next summer.

We are looking for jobs in BC and/or Alberta and we are considering tree planting as we both love being in the woods for an extended period of time (we both used to be scout leaders for more than 5 years) and can both work tough jobs for a long period of time as we have pretty good stamina and muscles (although I probably drink way too much beer :P ).

I'm mainly wondering what's provided by the companies that hire you and so what gear do you need to bring in your bag when you go there (like something for shelter, boots, gloves, treebag harnesses, shovels, etc.). I'm also wondering if any of you know companies that pay better than others. I know the prices average at around $0,10C to $0,20C per tree but that when you start you usually get the lowest rates.

So yeah any input about it is welcome here. Don't just tell me it's a tough job though because I know about that part.

While we're here, if any of you western canadian guys hear about summer jobs either in BC or Alberta, feel free to let me know!

Edited by Arsenault 1st MRB

Are you trying to start your own company? It might be wise to invest time into other companies to better understand what's expected. You might just want to call up a few companies and appear interested to work there while asking all these questions. Maybe some of them allow internships?

Some of my friends have done this type of work in BC. Let me get in touch with them and see what they say.

Alright Captain, thanks a lot.

Ultra, I might not have explained it well but it's a summer job that a lot of "young" people do in Canada. There are some forestry companies who own huge parcels of wooded land and who actually seek and hire people every summer to plant new trees in wide areas that have been relatively recently completely logged by them. It's reforestation, paid by the logging companies who own the land. A certain kind of "sustainable development". Go have a quick look on the site I linked in my first post in here, it explains some of the basics pretty well.

Now, the reason of this whole topic is that I'm looking for some advices from people who've done that before. I'm looking for the right companies and places to go to and I'm looking for some info on what to bring and what not to bring whenever you're hired by one of these companies. things like that, that I tried to explain in my first post.