World War 2 Fallout

K. Lloyd

Nearly 70 years on, two countries that never fought each other on the level that the Soviet Union did with Germany, or the level that Japan did with the United States continue to have a dispute over four islands. Though today, Germany and Russia as well as Japan and the US have fairly good relationships, the four Southern Kurile islands remain an issue of conflict between Japan and Russia.

As World War II drew to a close, Soviet forces had occupied these islands, but today both countries consider these islands to be theirs. In September 1951, the Soviet Union declined to sign the San Francisco Peace Treaty because Japan believed the four islands were theirs. It has been a source of conflict ever since. Japan still considers the islands theirs, and Russia still considers them theirs.

.... So if Russia go West maybe they will go East too...

How's the digging going guys...my bunkers almost ready to have fibre optic installed

How's the digging going guys...my bunkers almost ready to have fibre optic installed

Best part

Well I'm also working on a useful phrase book for the end of the world too....

бывают товарища у меня есть быстрый Интернет

(Come in Comrade I have fast internet)

слова благодарности для начала мировой войны 3

(Thank you for starting World War 3)

Like I say a work in progress

So Russia would nuke Japan over four islands? I don't think that's a likely scenario given that they never fired one once during the numerous scares of the Cold War.

I was just liken it to Germanys pre WW territory expansions (all of which were age old disputes, like parts of Poland & Czech Republic)

So Russia would nuke Japan over four islands? I don't think that's a likely scenario given that they never fired one once during the numerous scares of the Cold War.

I was just liken it to Germanys pre WW territory expansions (all of which were age old disputes, like parts of Poland & Czech Republic)

True, but Germany hadn't let those territories sit for 70 years, it had only been lees than half that time. Claims on land mean nothing if they are not actively pressed, that's how international politics have worked since the Middle Ages.

That, and with a regime change such as the one from the U.S.S.R to Russia currently, which was based partially on the fact that they could no longer control their proclaimed territorial possessions while waging war effectively makes me doubt that they would go after those four islands unless they're insanely important warm-water ports which I doubt.

True, but Germany hadn't let those territories sit for 70 years, it had only been lees than half that time. Claims on land mean nothing if they are not actively pressed, that's how international politics have worked since the Middle Ages.

That, and with a regime change such as the one from the U.S.S.R to Russia currently, which was based partially on the fact that they could no longer control their proclaimed territorial possessions while waging war effectively makes me doubt that they would go after those four islands unless they're insanely important warm-water ports which I doubt.

Who'd have thought a crazy Russian would flout international law?

Stranger things have happened

True, but at least Hitler was quite confident that nobody was going to be able to stop him before he invaded Poland. If Putin invades Japan, the international community isn't going to be silent if they're making such a fuss over Ukraine.

True, but at least Hitler was quite confident that nobody was going to be able to stop him before he invaded Poland. If Putin invades Japan, the international community isn't going to be silent if they're making such a fuss over Ukraine.

I'm pretty sure Neville Chamberlain didn't realise he was bartering with a man that would plunge the world into a global conflict, the only difference between politics in the past to now is the modern media and freedom of information. People will have kicked up a stink about the Czech Republic being annexed but behind closed doors without much of the population being informed or educated enough to express their dissatisfaction. In this day and age the revolution will be televised. The current international community has remained conspicuous in their silence with major world powers like China refusing to condemn the actions of Putin.

China has been conspicuously silent during those whole affair with Ukraine I have noticed, but then my guess is that its because they don't really have a stake in what goes on with it, whatever the outcome it won't overly effect them.

The U.N. in general has been silent, but then there is no point in bringing the matter up because Russia has a veto.I don't know what to believe about what is going on in Ukraine anymore, I think Putin is pulling a fast one by having his ambassadors say one thing while he does another.

But then again, I still think that the U.S. hasn't ever really left its cold war mode. They'll guide public opinion for whatever will fulfill their objectives, just like any other government, and are not truly accountable to tell the public the full story.

I don't know, I find international politics childish now for the most part. I couldn't watch CNN or the major news outlets for most of the summer of 2012 without laughing at how ridiculous the back and forth play between Iran and North Korean fears of nukes was.

Interesting thing is it was America who almost ended the world during the cold war. A computer glitch showed that Russia had launched aa preemptive nuclear strike against us. The guy with the power to launch back didnt (thank god) and was later fired. Decades later our Gov recognized him as hero. It came that close. Im being vague because I dont remember the details, but a quick Google should bring that story up.

Interesting thing is it was America who almost ended the world during the cold war. A computer glitch showed that Russia had launched aa preemptive nuclear strike against us. The guy with the power to launch back didnt (thank god) and was later fired. Decades later our Gov recognized him as hero. It came that close. Im being vague because I dont remember the details, but a quick Google should bring that story up.

You have the roles reversed. It was a glitchy Russian system that showed America had launched our nukes. Stanislav Petrov knew the system was new and glitchy and didn't make the call to the Russians who had the power to launch. He was also neither rewarded nor punished for his choice. But both the Russians and Americans have at least a dozen times where they were about to begin nuclear holocaust. Britain got overly scared at one point and raised their alert status to 15 minute response time, which Russia thought meant they were about to do something. There was a computer chip in NORAD that went haywire and started showing nuke launches 2222 ICBM launches instead of 0000, none of which were showing on RADAR screens. There was a Russian who agreed to work for the CIA in Moscow that had a code to tell the US if there was an imminent danger. He was to call a special number, blow into the receiver, hang up, and do it again. Someone did just that, and the US seemingly didn't respond. I think the operative was arrested and executed shortly after. Russia started freaking out when a missile was launched near Spitzbergen, and their whole government was about to go to war, when someone remembered receiving notice from Norway about a scientific missile launch and forgot to pass the message up the chain of command.

Edited by Kirkendall 1st MRB

Sadly Britain and the U.S were guarantors over the integrity of the Ukraines borders....

Yay world police again, pretty glad I'm out now... Russias a bit chilly to go and sit in compared to Afghan

Well Crimea's basically the nicest part of Ukraine, so I think it would beat the hell out of Afghanistan.