Day of Defeat Source/CSS error with Windows 7 64 bit

Vandagriff 1st MRB

Question

Ok so i'm not exactly sure when this started happening but I know it's since I updated to windows 7.

Now CSS and DODS load up fine, I can browse servers and all that good stuff, and I can even start connecting to them just fine. However after I have actually connected to a server and that first screen that shows the MOTD shows up, the game just completely locks itself up, I can't alt + tab or anything; luckily I have a dual-monitor setup to task manager end process hl2.exe

Now I'm not really sure exactly what's causing these 2 games to lockup because many other games, and some that even run off the source engine like TF2 or Insurgency Mod run just fine, it's just specifically these 2 games.

I know it can't be a overheating issue because I play Crysis, Microsoft Flight Simulator, which are graphically and resource intensive. If there is anyone who has these same issues or an idea as to what I could do to fix it please feel free to pitch in some ideas, as I have read some others having the same issue but noone seems to have found a way to fix it.

Win 7 64 bit Professional

2.25TB Total Hard Drive (4 drives)

8gb DDR2 RAM

Sapphire ATI Radeon 4890 1GB VRAM

Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 2.4 Ghz (2.4 Ghz)

21 answers to this question

Did you do a full clean install when going to Win7 x64 or was it an upgrade? Also if you have an anti-virus run a full system scan.

Also go into your games tab in steam, right click on DODS and go to local files and see how much fragmentation is sais is there.

Edited by Greco 1st MRB

Yes Win 7 x64 is a clean install, there is currently no anti-virus software on my computer but I do have windows firewall on, although im positive I allowed the hl2.exe access to the internet. Currently there is no fragmentation with dods.

Remember that my whole computer does NOT crash, just the game locks up completely at the MOTD screen, and the sound loops as well, without the ability to Alt-Tab, so I had to use my second monitor to end process.

I tried turning off Windows Firewall but the same thing happened with one exception.

Sometimes it works when I play it in windowed mode, but im not sure what would allow it to randomly work in windowed mode or not.

Also I noticed that Win 7 has some kind of Aero Themes, could those interfere at all with the game?

P.S. I just updated my graphics drivers last night so I know they are up-to-date

This may not be directly tied to your poblem, but I would STRONGLY suggest you install an antivirus program. Never use windows without one. A couple good free programs are AVG, Avira, and Avast. Google the free version of one of those and get it installed.

As far as your problem I would try a BIOS update, or if you have a separate sound card, update those drivers. Sometimes sound issues can cause freezing with source.

Edited by Snell 1st MRB

Yes Win 7 x64 is a clean install, there is currently no anti-virus software on my computer but I do have windows firewall on, although im positive I allowed the hl2.exe access to the internet. Currently there is no fragmentation with dods.

Remember that my whole computer does NOT crash, just the game locks up completely at the MOTD screen, and the sound loops as well, without the ability to Alt-Tab, so I had to use my second monitor to end process.

I tried turning off Windows Firewall but the same thing happened with one exception.

Sometimes it works when I play it in windowed mode, but im not sure what would allow it to randomly work in windowed mode or not.

Also I noticed that Win 7 has some kind of Aero Themes, could those interfere at all with the game?

P.S. I just updated my graphics drivers last night so I know they are up-to-date

no that is not a firewall issue. This is a software issue. Seems like it could be your graphics card drivers. See if you can get an older driver version. The easiest way it to completely uninstall all drivers from the add/remove programs area, then use the driver disk that came with your graphics card and install those ONLY for now. Try that.

Also forgot, google CCleaner and download that. Its free. Use it after the uninstall of the video drivers, then restart and install the drivers from the disk only. When you go to use it you can do the regular cleanup, but make sure you also go to the registry tab and do that as well.

Edited by Greco 1st MRB

I am formatting my Win7 installation and going back to WinXP for a few reasons.

I can play games like Crysis, Mass Effect etc, games that are much more intensive than DOD Source, Hl2 etc. and have no problems. I have had DOD Source and Hl2 lock up many times, sometimes the program crashes, sometimes it freezes my entire pc, I have noticed that making changes to my config within DOD Source/HL2 are often not permanent, they will revert back which is a big pain in the ass when it's many changes (mic volume, graphics etc.). I think the problem resides in the way Win7 handles user permissions/ownership. I did not install Win7, it came with the computer I purchased, and yet even after changing permission, deleting all users except ME the ADMIN, and taking ownership of my entire C hard drive, I still get errors about how exec write config in steam is failing. Maybe you can make yours work and I wish you all the best, but I've messed around long enough and the advancements in Win7 aren't worth the headache.

never had any of those problems with Win7 or Vista for that matter. Sorry you had problems, I simply love Windows7.

I've already turned off UAC and have no administrator issues whatsoever.

It's just weird how it randomly lets me play and most of the time it just freezes. I think it may be grapchis as well, but how could I run other source mods such as Insurgency no problem and other source engine games, but specifically DODS and CSS have this strange issue.

Of course other games like Command and Conquer '95 keeps minimizing and won't let me play, but I don't really have a hard on to play. I'll just have to try and reinstall old graphics drivers and see what happens.

I love win 7 and be more than willing to give up CSS and DODS to keep it, but best case scenario i'd like to have both.

Fooled around with the drivers and its still freezes.

I've noticed the time it works (on random occaisons), is when there is noone playing on the server. Either noone's on the server or they are spectating. And if there are players playing then its a higher chance it freezes.

idk maybe your graphics card is bad? got another around the house to test with?

Well i've already updated my chipset/audio/lan drivers for my motherboard and it still hasnt fixed the problem. I guess i'll just keep looking day by day and see what happens. I think it's definitely a sound card issue, as I have been reading about some sound loop errors that crash both dods and css

well you can go buy a cheap sound blaster for $30, install it and see if that fixes the problem.

Wow, I think I may have found a fix for what was going wrong. Apparently the MOTD screen WAS what caused the sound loop error. I fixed the textwindow_temp.html file that someone said to fix and now I can join the server! I may not get to see the MOTD anymore but hey, at least I get to play right?

oh very nice. yea good thing at least you can play.