Resolved - Choke in DoD:S

Sky

Question

Name: Joshua Sky

Type of issue: (Software, Hardware, Steam, Not sure) Not sure

Brief Description of Issue:

Ok so basically whenever I play in our server I always get choke, peaking at 50. It will sometimes drop down to 0 but only very rarely and when it does it is only for a about 2 seconds. Usually it will range from 10-50. The thing that confuses me is that in every other server that I play in my choke is consistently at 0. My lerp is always the same at 0.5 ms. My rates are:

rate 25000

cl_updaterate 101

cl_cmdrate 101

I have messed with all of my rates going as low as 55 for both cmdrate and updaterate and as low as 20000 for rate. That only made the problem worse keeping my choke at 50 consistently. The rates that I have right now have helped the problem but from what I understand I cannot go any higher than 101 and 25000 for the rates? Also, and I don't know if this has anything to do with it but when I go into console while I'm playing, and type in cl_cmdrate it always comes back with the number 67 as the auto thing that appears underneath the console window. In my autoexec.cfg the rates listed above are in there and it is set to read only. In my config.cfg I have put in exec autoexec.cfg at the very end and that is set to read only as well. I have no idea what else to do.

***Medical Supply Staff ONLY Below this line***

Current Status: Resolved

Researching

Pending Reply

Resolved

Unresolved

Main Technician: Heresy

Supporting Technician:

Edited by Heresy 1st MRB

7 answers to this question

Personally I am not seeing choke issues on my system so I suspect that there may be something possibly with your config or your Internet connection. This site below has a lot of good information and I copied this out of the thread detailing the reasons for choke:

Causes can be:

Quote:

If the server cannot sustain the tickrate, you get choke (You may not actually get choke, but the server will lag very badly)

If the server cannot sustain the fps the tickrate requires, you get choke

If the server cannot sustain the fps the sv_minupdaterate requires, you get choke

If the server cannot sustain the the sv_minupdaterate, you get choke

If the server connection cannot sustain the bandwidth required to support the updaterate, you get choke

If the server connection cannot sustain the bandwidth required to support the sv_minrate, you get choke

If the required bandwidth demanded by the sv_maxupdaterate exceeds the sv_maxrate, you get choke

Since nowadays, broadband connections have a nice upload/dw speed, this causes of choke are almos inexistent:

Quote:

If the clients connection cannot sustain the bandwidth required to support the cl_updaterate you get choke

If the clients required bandwidth demanded by the cl_updaterate exceeds the rate, you get choke

Here are my network settings. You can see that my cl_updaterate is huge (400 vs. 101), cl_cmdrate is higher (128 vs. 101), and although my rate is set to 80000 the server max is 25000 (so effectively it is 25000):

cl_updaterate 400

cl_cmdrate 128

cl_interp_all 0

cl_interp_ratio 0

cl_interpolate 0

cl_interp 0

cl_lagcompensation 0

cl_smooth 0

rate 80000

You many want to call your provider just to double check your connection regardless, but you could try to increase your cl_updaterate and your cl_cmdrate to see if that helps. What is your connection down and up bandwidth?

Ok here is my up and down from speedtest.net coming from a server in NY.

3573522586.png

I tried to up my cmdrate and updaterate in the range of 101-400 for updaterate and 101-130 in cmdrate. This only made my choke worse as it was hovering around 52 or 53. So then I decided to try a really low number going 66 for both. For some reason this made my choke hover between 0-5 sometimes going up to 10. I don't understand it.

That is really weird that you get that kind of choke with that bandwidth (I hate you now by the way ;) That upload is crazyness!). It may be worth it to open a ticket with Verizon just to have them check your connection out at least. I am not sure if they have some kind of throttling or other that could affect your connection.

Ok so basically these were my settings before hand:

cl_cmdrate 195

cl_updaterate 350

cl_interp_ratio 2

cl_interp 0

I found out that you should always have cmdrate and updaterate match the servers tic rate and if you have a ping of under 50 you can drop interp ratio to 1 or 0 depending on your internet connection. So now this what I have:

cl_cmdrate 66

cl_updaterate 66

cl_interp_ratio 0

cl_interp 0

I am still getting choke but nowhere near what I had before. It is usually between 0 and 10 now instead of consistently at 50.