Low FPS

Legend

Question

10 answers to this question

I found that my fps is about 20. i have a M15X NVIDIA 8700M-GT 512MB on a alienware notebook, with 2.5 gig processor. Am i getting under what i should be geting for FPS?

Iv never used the 8700M-GT card before, but if you just purchased a laptop recently and it has that in it you got seriously screwed because that is 3 generations old. That 8700 is not going to be a gamer card, and if it is a single core processor I wouldn't expect much more than the FPS your getting now unless possibly if you had all setting turned to their lowest.

Edited by Greco 1st MRB

Well the best question is, should i be getting around 20 fps with my 8700 512mb nivida, dod i believe is not a very highly videocard dependent game, so i think it may be something else, also my fps is much higher when i go on the private if that effects anything. iam currently thinking about switching back to vista, eventhough i like window 7 alot.

Well, for starters, how much Memory do you have? Your 8700 should be giving you at lease 20 though it all depends on your processor and memory. What processor do you have? P4? PM? or is it a PD? or Duo core? Along with ram. If you have around one gig of ram and I'll say a PM, then I wouldn't expect more then maybe 30? 25? It's been so long sense I owned anything lower then a quad.

Well the best question is, should i be getting around 20 fps with my 8700 512mb nivida, dod i believe is not a very highly videocard dependent game, so i think it may be something else, also my fps is much higher when i go on the private if that effects anything. iam currently thinking about switching back to vista, eventhough i like window 7 alot.

you are mistaken, it relies heavily on the cpu and the amount of people in the server can effect your fps

Source games such as DODS are more CPU dependent than GPU. OP stated a 2.5gig processor, so im assuming 2.5GHz single core, which isn't that great along with a not so great mobile GPU thus IMHO I would say you wouldn't have very high FPS. All of your graphical settings are to their lowest level correct? There is also a way to force rendering of DX8 instead of DX9 so that may help as well.

Also as Jasko stated the reason you get more FPS in the private is because of less people in there, which is easier on the computer to process.

There is also another start up command where you can set the heap-size higher if you have enough ram. meaning you will dedicate more RAM to the game when it starts than the default amount.

Edited by Greco 1st MRB

Let's see, Alienware. Usually high-end gaming laptops, however they're more than likely bogged down horribly with pre-installed Dell programs. I'm going to guess at this laptop being about a year or two old, having an older Core 2 Duo/other low-end mobile dual-core CPU @ 2.5Ghz, and about 2-3GB of RAM. The laptop is likely designed for Vista and therefore can run 7 fine. Check to see that you have the most up to date video card drivers, especially if you fresh-installed Win7 on it. While the built-in windows drivers are good enough for everyday use, they won't help you worth shit in games. The amount of people on the server makes a difference too, especially on higher graphics settings. When the server is full, I get lagspikes every so often in high-graphics areas on my 9600GT. My recommendation is to turn your graphics settings down. While your config on a desktop may be good enough, laptops generally can't game as well as a desktop with the same specs. Turn down your settings, and update your drivers. After updating your drivers, try turning the settings up. If you're still getting lag, try disabling some of the background programs that run on your computer.

Another big thing is cooling, make sure your laptop is kept cool, a cooling pad would help greatly. I have a friend whose laptop overheated on WoW, going from 50 to 20 FPS in an hour, a similar cooling problem could be happening with you.

Let's see, Alienware. Usually high-end gaming laptops, however they're more than likely bogged down horribly with pre-installed Dell programs. I'm going to guess at this laptop being about a year or two old, having an older Core 2 Duo/other low-end mobile dual-core CPU @ 2.5Ghz, and about 2-3GB of RAM. The laptop is likely designed for Vista and therefore can run 7 fine. Check to see that you have the most up to date video card drivers, especially if you fresh-installed Win7 on it. While the built-in windows drivers are good enough for everyday use, they won't help you worth shit in games. The amount of people on the server makes a difference too, especially on higher graphics settings. When the server is full, I get lagspikes every so often in high-graphics areas on my 9600GT. My recommendation is to turn your graphics settings down. While your config on a desktop may be good enough, laptops generally can't game as well as a desktop with the same specs. Turn down your settings, and update your drivers. After updating your drivers, try turning the settings up. If you're still getting lag, try disabling some of the background programs that run on your computer.

Another big thing is cooling, make sure your laptop is kept cool, a cooling pad would help greatly. I have a friend whose laptop overheated on WoW, going from 50 to 20 FPS in an hour, a similar cooling problem could be happening with you.

Very true concerning heat. Heat is the number 1 enemy to all electronics and can adversely affect performance.