This really shocked me.

Downs

https://news.yahoo.com/asbestos-pushed-asia...-071234063.html

Thats the link to a news article that really shocked me. We all know here in America and most other modern Countries that Asbestos is a killer. It causes Cancer among other illnesses. Its a well documented and studied fact. Yet there are still Corporations mass producing this crap and selling it to poor people in 3rd world countries. The CEO's of these corporations and businesses should frankly in my opinion be shot. What people are willing to do to other human beings in the name of profit really shocks me.

Its even worse here in Canada. If there is asbestos found anywhere here it is required by law to be removed immediately, but we're selling to countries like India which are using it as insulation and are just tossing the stuff around like its feather bedding or cotton and are barely wearing any respiratory protection.

We don't even call it asbestos when we sell it either, its called "Crystallite", and our government knows full well what it is but is still willing to sell it to these countries who have no idea, or don't care to know how to protect themselves properly. Its disgusting business practices.

Its even worse here in Canada. If there is asbestos found anywhere here it is required by law to be removed immediately

Almost every school in the division I am currently working for contain asbestos in floor tiles and walls. Removing it would be a greater risk than leaving it where it is, and thus we are not required to remove it. Certain staff members receive a training course on handling asbestos (which consists of telling people not to handle asbestos).

Its even worse here in Canada. If there is asbestos found anywhere here it is required by law to be removed immediately

Almost every school in the division I am currently working for contain asbestos in floor tiles and walls. Removing it would be a greater risk than leaving it where it is, and thus we are not required to remove it. Certain staff members receive a training course on handling asbestos (which consists of telling people not to handle asbestos).

Holland, you should be safe if it is tiles and in the walls. The danger with asbestos is if it is friable. Friable asbestos is product that releases its fibers in the air and thus can be inhaled into the lungs. This is the case with pipe and duct insulation, especially when it gets old and gets wet and then dries out. Having it in the walls with drywall or plaster over it is safe as long as it is not disturbed. If renovations are done they have to follow strict guidelines for its removal. The floor tiles pose no risk even while scraping them up to replace the floor due to the tiles are hard and they font disburse the fiber material when breaking. I used to deal with this while working for a major insurance carrier in the later 1990's and early 2000's.

JP

Holland, you should be safe if it is tiles and in the walls. The danger with asbestos is if it is friable. Friable asbestos is product that releases its fibers in the air and thus can be inhaled into the lungs. This is the case with pipe and duct insulation, especially when it gets old and gets wet and then dries out. Having it in the walls with drywall or plaster over it is safe as long as it is not disturbed. If renovations are done they have to follow strict guidelines for its removal. The floor tiles pose no risk even while scraping them up to replace the floor due to the tiles are hard and they font disburse the fiber material when breaking. I used to deal with this while working for a major insurance carrier in the later 1990's and early 2000's.

JP

At no point did I imply it was a threat. However, unlike what Armstrong said, it is not a requirement to remove it wherever it is found, and in fact is quite common in buildings here.

talking about asbestos.....Why do you think so many people died in New York City after 9-11? The world trade centers had tons of asbestos in it. Those that inhaled the smoke and ash from it developed cancer and other lung diseases.

talking about asbestos.....Why do you think so many people died in New York City after 9-11? The world trade centers had tons of asbestos in it. Those that inhaled the smoke and ash from it developed cancer and other lung diseases.

Citation of increased Mesothelioma rates in NYC post 9-11? As I did not here anything about an increased lung cancer rate in NYC over the last decade I am hesitant to take this at face value. Many people died of respiratory infections in the weeks following 9-11 but that is to be expected when breathing cement and other abrasive particulate for hours/days on end.

For some places it may be the only thing they can afford and for some its the only thing they can use that will work for them in insulation or such. I do wish that this product wasn't sold anymore and made illegal but that wouldn't be capitalism when it comes to selling a product. =/ My grandfather who served in the U.S. Navy got exposed to this stuff and it was only a minor exposure and 50 yrs later he had blood cancer but got cured from it, but passed away due to his Immune system being unable to recover and got sick 3 times in a row with problems for in his lungs and just passed away.