Shooting

K. Lloyd

Having fired some awesome WW2 weapons and air rifles in Southern France with some survivors from the French resistance I'm really keen to get back into my shooting. Managed to score a pretty handy 1.64 inch spread over 200ms so I'm looking to invest in a pretty decent air rifle.

Obviously would prefer to keep it lower than uk license laws ATM before I purchase a proper bolt action around Christmas and I was looking for any advice you could offer.

I've been told to buy German but any knowledge would be much appreciated.

Cheers

Mosin Nagants are pretty nice bolt action rifles imo. They are really cheap and the ammo is cheap too.

*EDIT* Nevermind, you are looking for an air gun... DOH. Thought we were talking large caliber rifles, my bad.

Edited by T. Little 1st MRB

Mosin Nagants are pretty nice bolt action rifles imo. They are really cheap and the ammo is cheap too.

Those aren't German at all :P

I have four WWII guns:

K98 Mauser - which is amazing, mines 100% original, matching parts and original iron eagle markings, shoots like a dream and deadly accurate. There are lots of repros that are decent and a few Yugo Mausers that you could pick up for under $400.

M1 Carbine - by far my favorite, I've been picking up accessories for it every time I find a military surplus store. They're accurate and fun as hell.

Mosin Nagant - Of course, who could turn down a $60 WWII rifle. They usually come with an Oiler and Bayonet spike, they are cheap and fun to shoot, but you'll get a nice bruise on your shoulder if you aren't ready for the kick.

Arisaka Type 99 - I haven't had a chance to shoot it yet, it's a little incomplete but I needed a Japanese rifle for my collection.

Lastly, I have a WWI Lee-Enfield No. 1 MK III but it was re-appropriated as a Rifle Grenade Launcher in WWII so it has some extreme reinforcements on it, wire wrappings and some thick bolts through the stock. It's really heavy but that makes shooting it so much easier, not to mention it looks badass with all the reinforcement modifications.

Good luck in your search!

Lastly, I have a WWI Lee-Enfield No. 1 MK III but it was re-appropriated as a Rifle Grenade Launcher in WWII so it has some extreme reinforcements on it, wire wrappings and some thick bolts through the stock. It's really heavy but that makes shooting it so much easier, not to mention it looks badass with all the reinforcement modifications.

Yama, I'd be interested to see some pictures of your Lee-Enfield. I own one too and shot it for the first time this week-end. It is so much fun to shoot!! Mine is a 1944 No.4 MK I and it has been modified as a "sporter" so some wood has been removed. Because of that I got it pretty cheap but it increases the recoil quite a lot. I'll be hunting deers and probably mooses too with it this next season. It has a scope mounted on but I can still unscrew it and use the original iron sight and the millimetric adjustable one (switched simply by flipping it with the thumb). I really love that rifle so Lloyd I'd recommend something similar to you when you are to the point where you'll buy a real rifle.

Here is mine :

photo3_zpsc2d68d45.jpg

photo2_zps644d26df.jpg

photo1_zpse77edb07.jpg

Edited by Arsenault 1st MRB

is that the m1 carbine I see laying to the side in the picture with your brother? I REALLY want one. Maybe one day... I just can't afford to drop a grand or more on a gun right now. I guess I'll stick to my AK and mosin for now heh.

It is indeed!

20120816_194256.jpg

Although, I didn't pay over a grand for it.

is that the m1 carbine I see laying to the side in the picture with your brother? I REALLY want one. Maybe one day... I just can't afford to drop a grand or more on a gun right now. I guess I'll stick to my AK and mosin for now heh.

It is indeed!

20120816_194256.jpg

Although, I didn't pay over a grand for it.

Can you scroll wheel with it?

When I went to Vegas with my Dad in May I went to two shooting ranges and shot

Sig Sauer P226

Colt M1911

M4

SCAR-L

M1 Garand

Thompson

Then I went last Friday to a range and shot a Ruger and HK UMP .45

Have to say I loved the SCAR and Sig.

These two are great Jones.

I'm very seriously thinking about buying a Winchester SXP Waterfowl to go hunting ducks and geese this fall.

What do you guys think of this shotgun? Beign that my budget is 500$ or less it's the one that retained my attention the most. No money for a semi-auto. I already tried shouldering it at the store and highly prefered it to the way the Benelli Nova would shoulder. I shot my roomate's Remington 870 a few times and found it ok but the new ones are a hundred dollar more expensive than last year and several people told me that they are not as good as they used to be so the 870 is not even an option for me.

• 1 month later...

Hate to bump a old post but I do love me some hunting and there is nothing like hunting with a rifle "under powered" for the normal hunter.

If you are going to be hunting with the air rifle then I would look at Gamo and Benjamin brands. If you are just going to be plinking around the house then something with better sights and a lower cost would probably suit you fine.

As far as real rifles go... Yalls relics are awesome, I own some SKS's that I learned on, but there is no better bang for your buck then a Savage. That is, if you can get one over there. I just sighted mine in for deer season, was grouping less then 1 inch with 3 shots at 100 yards in the prone with a sling. With that being said, 99% of all guns are going to shoot relatively strait and where you point them. Most of it has to do with the shooter. Also, any rifle you can afford is better then not having one.

Edited by K. Moore 1st MRB

Mosin Nagant - Of course, who could turn down a $60 WWII rifle. They usually come with an Oiler and Bayonet spike, they are cheap and fun to

I just got one of these, it was in a group of them stuff in storage barrels filled with Armor Grease---- I have to clean up all the wood, and re-stain it, but apparently these are originals with all the parts, $75 was the price for these. I am trying to dry the gun out i had to completely take it apart and put it back together, Luckily I knew how, or I would have paid another $100 to have someone do it for me.....

This is how it looked, i didnt take a picture of mine, this is similar to what I had to clean.

original.jpg

Mosin Nagant - Of course, who could turn down a $60 WWII rifle. They usually come with an Oiler and Bayonet spike, they are cheap and fun to

I just got one of these, it was in a group of them stuff in storage barrels filled with Armor Grease---- I have to clean up all the wood, and re-stain it, but apparently these are originals with all the parts, $75 was the price for these. I am trying to dry the gun out i had to completely take it apart and put it back together, Luckily I knew how, or I would have paid another $100 to have someone do it for me.....

This is how it looked, i didnt take a picture of mine, this is similar to what I had to clean.

original.jpg

Haha, my Nagant was cleaned before I got it, thank goodness. The look of the wood stock sold it for me, I probably wouldn't have looked twice if it was still covered in grease.

However, my Mauser K98 looked like that Nagant when I got it, but the grease was brown/black. Cleaning it was fun, it was like uncovering hidden treasure!

I keep a Mosin Nagant of my own, an PY '43 with everything stock on it. I've actually used it for about ten years now. It's more than accurate enough at three-hundred yards for me to win a couple of marksmanship trophies over some of the more expensive rifles. The only problem is that each Mosin Nagant I've ever used is slightly different as far as accuracy and machining goes. Mine, for instance, has a bolt that swells on the first shot, and basically makes you have to beat the gun silly to chamber another round. I think this might have to do with the different factories that churned all these things out.

Edited by A. Martin 1st MRB

• 1 month later...

I found a deal for a russian SKS at a new local shop. I can get a non-laminated one for 165$CAN+tx so around 190$CAN.

Link (in french).

Any of you guys owning one? What do you think of it? I know that they tend to be way more expensive than that in the US though.