Ping Issues on the Pub

A. Cannon 1st MRB

Question

I Have merged this post with a post from Pfc. McGarr and pinned them here to collect tracerts from everyone having the same issues on the pub with ping and lag. To post a tracert follow this procedure:

If anyone else is experiencing this issue, please post a tracert from when you're experiencing latency on the public server. (Open start, type "cmd" and enter "tracert 208.167.243.207")

Or use the PingPlotter Brown has mentioned and run it in the background.

Name: Alec Cannon

Type of issue: (Not sure)

Brief Description of Issue: Every time I join the 1st MRB server my ping goes out of control going up to the 800. It seems it only touches the 1st MRB public server because I can play in a majority of other servers without having ping issues.

Servers_zpsc3645a1b.jpg

***Medical Supply Staff ONLY Below this line***

Current Status: Researching

Researching

Pending Reply

Resolved

Unresolved

Main Technician: J. Ascencio

Supporting Technician: J. Bradley

Edited by Candy 1st MRB

I have also had this problem I think it might be a server issue. It barely started happening and for some reason it does not happen in the private server.

P.S I will not be putting myself as a technician because I have no idea how to solve this problem so if any other MSO worker has a solution feel free to take main technician

C:\Users\Alec Cannon>tracert 208.167.243.207

Détermination de l'itinéraire vers 208.167.243.207.choopa.net [208.167.243.207]

avec un maximum de 30 sauts :

1 <1 ms <1 ms <1 ms 192.168.0.1

2 7 ms 5 ms 6 ms 10.72.80.1

3 11 ms 11 ms 11 ms 216.113.122.165

4 22 ms 19 ms 20 ms 216.113.126.214

5 30 ms 26 ms 30 ms 216.113.124.222

6 811 ms 873 ms 795 ms as20473.ae7.ar2.nyc3.us.as4436.gtt.net [69.31.34

.78]

7 755 ms 779 ms 1157 ms vl105-as1.pnj1.choopa.net [108.61.79.86]

8 28 ms 22 ms 22 ms 208.167.243.207.choopa.net [208.167.243.207]

Itinéraire déterminé.

Still having issues today Candy.

Microsoft Windows [version 6.1.7601]

Copyright © 2009 Microsoft Corporation. Tous droits réservés.

C:\Users\Alec Cannon>tracert 208.167.243.207

Détermination de l'itinéraire vers 208.167.243.207.choopa.net [208.167.243.207]

avec un maximum de 30 sauts :

1 <1 ms <1 ms <1 ms 192.168.0.1

2 5 ms 7 ms 5 ms 10.72.80.1

3 12 ms 11 ms 11 ms 216.113.122.165

4 18 ms 19 ms 19 ms 216.113.126.214

5 26 ms 25 ms 26 ms 216.113.124.222

6 25 ms 25 ms 26 ms as20473.ae7.ar2.nyc3.us.as4436.gtt.net [69.31.34

.78]

7 889 ms 878 ms 925 ms vl105-as1.pnj1.choopa.net [108.61.79.86]

8 21 ms 21 ms 22 ms 208.167.243.207.choopa.net [208.167.243.207]

Itinéraire déterminé.

C:\Users\Alec Cannon>

Edited by Cannon 1st MRB

IDROvmI.png

I left PingPlotter running all day to the public server since I couldn't actually get it to replicate the problem on a whim.

It is essentially tracert with a bunch of information gathered over a period of time. Look at the Avg #'s (average ping response...the one after is Current ping response) on each line of information. Most are in the 20-30s, which is normal. The moment it gets to hop 14 (the same place that Cannon's starts fucking up, where it gets to choopa's servers), it jumps to almost 100.

This tells me it isn't my ISP or any of the connections to the server, but the server host itself. There is no actual loss (the first set of digits next to the Hop number; you can see when my modem goes down, it has loss of course...it went down a few times today, it stays there for duration of the plotted set), so it isn't that kind of issue. Nothing gets shut down. Shit just gets throttled. I'm not sure what could cause this. I'd love to call them and find out though, soooo I think I shall tomorrow.

Will post with results, but I'd LOVE to see if Cannon's looks similar so CANNON...download this shit and try it out for me for a couple hours during peak traffic time (daytime) please!

ps: I highly recommend this program for anyone experiencing any sort of issues with their internet. Link. It's free for 30 days, $40 after that (or $200 for the pro, which has more network features and isn't really necessary for residential needs). You can change the intervals/duration of the ping, the IP, all sorts of configs to suit your needs. Leave it running for a day and you'll see exactly where the problems arise and whether or not you can actually fix it without ISP or further help.

Name: M. McGarr

Type of issue: (Software, Hardware, Steam, Not sure)Pub Server Ping Issue

Brief Description of Issue:Usually my ping runs between 14 and 50 while in the pub. Recently, in the last few days I have had a ping of 500 to 1000 on the pub. I have checked my end and have also visited other servers with higher Latency than the Pub and have had no problems. Can someone please help?

Thank You.

Rec. M. Mc Garr

***Medical Supply Staff ONLY Below this line***

Current Status: Pending Reply

Researching

Pending Reply

Resolved

Unresolved

Main Technician: GySgt. Candy

Supporting Technician:

Edited by Candy 1st MRB

McGarr, we are currently researching this problem. I have several tickets that are related to this problem. Some of the research has pointed to a server issue. What you can do on your end is to try a few things for us:

Restart Steam

Reset your router (basically unplug it for about 30 seconds and plug it back in)

Restart your computer

Make sure there is not a Windows Firewall blocking access to the server (It would be in the Firewall settings in your control Panel Start>Control Panel>Security)

Try those fixes for now and give us feedback about the issue.

Edited by Candy 1st MRB

I've been watching this topic to see where it goes as I have had some of the same instances happen to me. I play in the mornings (8 am - 11am EST) and have been noticing higher pings for myself. I usually run from 28 - 46 but in the past few weeks it has spiked from 90 - 844. Sometimes it will settle itself out and sometimes it won't. Another thing I have noticed is that even if my ping is normal, there have been a lot of instances that the server is just laggy; affecting other players as well and their pings.

Did you ever think it could be the ISP? if it was the server it would happen to everyone would it not? Some ISP's DO limit during peak hours which will raise your ping. They are not suppose to, but they do.

Nope. Running the trace route shows that the spikes happen on the server end, not the ISP end. Plus, multiple people are reporting similar issues, none of which use the same ISP. I'm on Time warner. Cannon is on Videotron. We experienced the same spike at the same time.

All evidence points to server issue...although the past two days, I haven't had any spikes at all. *shrug*

I'm going to keep logging all ping requests to the public server for the next few days just for the hell of it, in case anyone wants the data.