BAN THE FLAG?????

J. Hill

The Associated Students of University of California, Irvine (ASUCI) have decided that the American flag is “offensive” and has now banned Old Glory from the “inclusive space” on campus.

Once again we see the idiocy, anti-Americanism and loathing for the USA that our colleges are teaching our kids.

The bill, R50-70, was authored by Social Ecology Representative Matthew Guevara, and accuses all flags, especially, the American flag, of being “symbols of patriotism or weapons for nationalism.”

“[F]lags construct paradigms of conformity and sets [sic] homogenized standards for others to obtain which in this country typically are idolized as freedom, equality, and democracy.”

How about we not spend anymore Government money on that College. How about we not send Our children to that college. How about American Companies not hire their graduates. Wonder if they will change their mind then.

Earlier this week, six undergraduate members of the UCI’s student-government Legislative Council passed a bill that bans hanging a flag from any nation in the common lobby area of the student government offices.

This misguided decision was not endorsed or supported in any way by the campus leadership, the University of California, or the broader student body. The views of a handful of students passing a resolution do not represent the opinions of the nearly 30,000 students on this campus, and have no influence on the policies and practices of the university.

The American flag is still proudly flying throughout our campus and will continue to do so.

Student-body president Reza Zomorrodian has publicly opposed the legislation. The Executive Cabinet of the student government will meet today to discuss a veto. A motion to veto and a second are on the table. One more vote is needed for a veto. We encourage the student government to veto this legislation and abandon any further efforts to pursue it.

We hold the value of intellectual inquiry and the free and rigorous exchange of ideas as bedrock values of institutions of higher education. And yet, we are constantly reminded that those values we cherish are in part, guaranteed by the sacrifices made and the struggles waged to secure the freedom and democracy that the flag symbolizes. UCI never takes that for granted.

http://www.asuci.uci.edu/flag/

I would recommend doing more research before letting your emotions boil over after reading or watching the first thing.

Can I say as a Canadian the amount of love and power that Americans imbue in their flag is just confusing to most of the world. It's a Flag, a thing made of cloth, people should be allowed to hand, Burn (which is the proper manner in which to dispose of a damage/ well worn flag the world over), or hide as the owner sees fit...

just my opinion.

Can I say as a Canadian the amount of love and power that Americans imbue in their flag is just confusing to most of the world. It's a Flag, a thing made of cloth, people should be allowed to hand, Burn (which is the proper manner in which to dispose of a damage/ well worn flag the world over), or hide as the owner sees fit...

just my opinion.

Can I just say as a Canadian, his/her opinion is just wrong and in no way reflects how all Canadians feel about their flag. I love my flag, it should never touch the ground and it should never burn. That flag represents a country and people who protect that country have worn it (whether it was stitched on their clothing or painted on a vehicle) and died with it for that country. I like to respect their memory and the sacrifice they made by respecting the symbol of a country they fought for.

Just MY opinion.

I dislike that people describe Americans as close-minded, then go on to make fun of us for holding value in our flag.

Flag tradition in the US has been handed down to us for as long as we've been a country, and it's one of our defining traditions. It's incorrect to say American flags are never burned, they will be burned when they are retired. Difference being it is usually done by members of the armed services with value being bestowed onto flags. In my city, we have a neighbor who collects old flags to be retired respectfully. My father never likes to see a worn out American flag, so he will go to houses where he sees them, (with permission) take them down and replace them with a new flag. We don't think it's weird, it's a sign of national pride to what holds us all together.

Many countries have traditions that don't make sense when taken out of context. But Old Glory holds a lot of value to many Americans, and to try to revoke that value is as close-minded as anything else. In this age of understanding, where people take great lengths to understand other cultures so as to not create a ruckus, it shouldn't be hard to understand that an American flag has a lot of worth, history, and meaning.

I believe also when an American Flag is retired and burned, the stars are separated from the stripes. it is then disposed of with dignity and respect. Remember also, that the Flag is used to drape the coffins of those that have died for their country. For that alone it deserves the utmost respect.

I actually got to partake in a flag retiring ceremony once for my friend's Eagle Scout project. We collected at least 100 old torn flags, including a huge one. We cut the stripes off, and separated them by color, and put the stars separate. We burned so much at a time, and every 10th flag, I think, we put up a flag pole or something. it was like 16 years ago, so my memory's a little foggy on it. It was a really neat ceremony though, and I'm glad I got to be a part of it. People talk a lot of negativity about the Boy Scouts of America, but I think that if it wasn't for the scouts, I wouldn't be the man I am today. I have a signed letter from President Clinton and a dozen other public officials congratulating me on becoming an Eagle Scout. That's pretty cool.

its a big accomplishment to become an Eagle Scout. Congratz. I first learned my patriotism in the Scouts. They taught me a lot. To be Prepared for anything, to adapt and overcome it. They were the first to teach me not to be a quitter. It is a great organization.

just my opinion.

Can I just say as a Canadian, his/her opinion is just wrong and in no way reflects how all Canadians feel about their flag. I love my flag, it should never touch the ground and it should never burn. That flag represents a country and people who protect that country have worn it (whether it was stitched on their clothing or painted on a vehicle) and died with it for that country. I like to respect their memory and the sacrifice they made by respecting the symbol of a country they fought for.

Just MY opinion.

Can't we just agree to make flags out of fireproof materials? Somebody get a hold of NASA!

NOT my opinion.