2nd Amendment

J. King

Part of me sides with the gun owner and part of me sides with the cops. It's the gun owners legal right to have a concealed weapon. He does not have to tell the cops he had the gun if he has a permit and stuff, but the gun was visible. Then part of me sides with the cop because I know if I was an officer and I was making a stop. Seeing a gun out like that would make me a little uneasy. Like the officer said it's more of a courtesy. I also again see where the owner was coming from. He should not have to give up his weapon. He was doing what the officers were telling him. this situation got a little blown out of proportion.

As a CCWer myself, I can safely say the civvie is being a jackass. There is one reason that cop wants that gun: He cannot be safe with a firearm around. Permit or not, perfectly following the law or not, it's a dangerous weapon and that man could turn it on that cop in a second. Having been pulled over myself while carrying, I will tell you that I HAPPILY gave my gun up. Every time it's had to be taken by cops, they always give it right back at the end of everything, with the mag taken out just to make sure I don't blow their heads off. What's more? With me in control of my gun, there's a chance that cop might get jumpy and start popping off shots because I went for my registration and he thought I was going for the gun.

Guys, word of advice: Give up your gun and let it be. They're not militant, jackbooted thugs looking to strip you of your second amendment rights. These are people, with lives they would like to go home to, just like you or I. Don't give them shit because they want to go home at night. Meet them halfway. Moreover, if you don't tell a cop you have a gun, and he sees it? You're getting a pistol shoved in your face.

Part of me sides with the gun owner and part of me sides with the cops. It's the gun owners legal right to have a concealed weapon. He does not have to tell the cops he had the gun if he has a permit and stuff, but the gun was visible. Then part of me sides with the cop because I know if I was an officer and I was making a stop. Seeing a gun out like that would make me a little uneasy. Like the officer said it's more of a courtesy. I also again see where the owner was coming from. He should not have to give up his weapon. He was doing what the officers were telling him. this situation got a little blown out of proportion.

Same, Im torn in 2 here. The 2nd Amendment gives people the right to carry a gun, A good thing about this is the person has a tool they can sure as hell protect themselves with, A cop has the right to be concerned of all people as it is there duty to protect everyone and keep the peace going. I would be shitting myself if i didnt have a gun a person that open carrys walks near my family.

Wether this guy has a permission for his firearm or not, the reason why he should hand it out to the cops makes sense to me. So instead of debating and complaining about "touching" the gun (seriously?! i gun is still an object and it doesn't hurt an object if it gets touched :blink:) he should just have given them his gun, wait out until police control was over and no one would have had a problem.

Has the driver ever thought about the fact that his behavior might keep the cops off from preventing crime?

Edited by Beuting 1st MRB

as im not used to this firearm laws.

Did they take the gun for the case his backup check shows hes a criminal?

Because if he has a licence for the weapon its obvious hes not a criminal or is it?

I mean.. there were enough cops around he told them where the gun is and they had it in sight.... wouldnt it be enought to tell him to put his hands on the dash and just check him while one or two officers are watching him, then give him the ticket and let him go?

To answer your question Wirths, it's actually a safety issue. Police are in a vulnerable position when stopping someone for a traffic violation. In point of fact, in some states it's common practice to place your fingerprints on the rear of the car just in case they decide to kill you. What they are trying to do is create a safe environment to conduct the traffic stop, so they don't get into a shoot out at point blank ranges. It's a highly dangerous thing to get into. So, if they -know- you have a gun, they do one of two things. They draw down on you and order you out of the vehicle, or they ask to take control of the weapon and put it where the civilian can't just grab it. Which they do depends on how the weapon is presented. If they just happen to see it, expect the former; If you inform them of it, you'll see the latter. Either way, the way our police are trained, the first priority is to remove any potential threat, and that weapon is a potential threat. So they're following departmental procedure in the video.

Edit: And on the note of letting him keep the gun and watching him, the police don't want that risk. There's no guarantee that he won't outdraw the police and get at least one kill, and the police aren't interested in a firefight of any kind in this sort of situation. It's an unnecessary risk in their mind.

Edited by A. Martin 1st MRB

When I was at Ft. Bliss, I was driving down the road when an individual came around the corner and ran me off the road. Unfortunately for him, I was in an MP car. I quickly swung around and hit the lights and pulled him over. I approached the driver cars window and my partner watched from the passenger side rear. I asked for his license, registration, and Military ID. It was night so I was holding my flashlight in my right hand. It was one of them 6 cell MAG lights. As the driver was looking for his license, I saw some metal glinting back at me from under the arm rest. I asked the individual to step out of the car, and he looks at me weird. I opened the door, and turned my hand sideways to be better able to hit the individual with my flashlight if need be and command him to exit the car. When he steps out of the car, I grabbed his collar and push him up against the car. My partner comes around the car and asks me "What the fuck are you doing"? I tell my partner to watch him, reach into the car, and pull a 357 magnum out from under the armrest. I open the cylinder and see its loaded with hollow points. When the guy driving the car sees the gun, he starts shaking. turned out the car was his friends and he had just borrowed it. He did not know the gun was there. Now in Texas, it is legal to openly carry, but not on a Military Base. The gun was concealed below the armrest. the man cooperated with us, so we did not ruin his military career. We unloaded the weapon, put the weapon in the trunk and the bullets in the glovebox. The traffic stop could have gone entirely different if his hand had gone near the weapon. I had learned a valuable lesson that night. NEVER carry my flashlight in my right hand. I am right handed. We want to go home at night just as much as they do. To insure your safety, do what the Officer tells you to do. You make him feel easier and it will help a lot. I have attended many funerals where the Officer was shot and killed by someone who was carrying a concealed weapon, though not always legally. We had an old saying in the MP's. Better to be tried by 12 than carried by 6.

When I was at Ft. Bliss, I was driving down the road when an individual came around the corner and ran me off the road. Unfortunately for him, I was in an MP car. I quickly swung around and hit the lights and pulled him over. I approached the driver cars window and my partner watched from the passenger side rear. I asked for his license, registration, and Military ID. It was night so I was holding my flashlight in my right hand. It was one of them 6 cell MAG lights. As the driver was looking for his license, I saw some metal glinting back at me from under the arm rest. I asked the individual to step out of the car, and he looks at me weird. I opened the door, and turned my hand sideways to be better able to hit the individual with my flashlight if need be and command him to exit the car. When he steps out of the car, I grabbed his collar and push him up against the car. My partner comes around the car and asks me "What the fuck are you doing"? I tell my partner to watch him, reach into the car, and pull a 357 magnum out from under the armrest. I open the cylinder and see its loaded with hollow points. When the guy driving the car sees the gun, he starts shaking. turned out the car was his friends and he had just borrowed it. He did not know the gun was there. Now in Texas, it is legal to openly carry, but not on a Military Base. The gun was concealed below the armrest. the man cooperated with us, so we did not ruin his military career. We unloaded the weapon, put the weapon in the trunk and the bullets in the glovebox. The traffic stop could have gone entirely different if his hand had gone near the weapon. I had learned a valuable lesson that night. NEVER carry my flashlight in my right hand. I am right handed. We want to go home at night just as much as they do. To insure your safety, do what the Officer tells you to do. You make him feel easier and it will help a lot. I have attended many funerals where the Officer was shot and killed by someone who was carrying a concealed weapon, though not always legally. We had an old saying in the MP's. Better to be tried by 12 than carried by 6.

wow holy shit!!!!! thats crazy.

I think my defense for the guy is that he is immobile in the car. He pulled his pistol out, i think he would have gotten raped by the two officers outside. Then again, like Martin, the cops were just worried for their lives.

Edited by J. King 1st MRB