Permit free concealed carry

J. Ascencio 1st MRB

New Kansas Law Will Allow Concealed Carry without a permit

“It is a constitutional right, and we’re removing a barrier to that right"

A bill signed Thursday by Gov. Sam Brownback will allow residents in Kansas to carry concealed firearms without a permit or training.

Kansans aged 21 or older will be permitted to carry concealed guns starting July 1 when the law takes effect, even if they’re not trained or don’t have a permit, the Kansas City Star reports. That will make the state one of six to allow “constitutional carry.”

Anyone who would like to carry a concealed gun in any of the three dozen states that accept Kansas permits must go through training, a requirement that Brownback emphasized. But even with regard to Kansans, who won’t be required to go through training, he acknowledged that his youngest son had “got a lot out of” a hunter safety course recently and urged others “to take advantage of that.”

“We’re saying that if you want to do that in this state, then you don’t have to get the permission slip from the government,” Brownback said. “It is a constitutional right, and we’re removing a barrier to that right.”

The Kansas State Rifle Association was supportive of the bill. A statement on its website reads: “the right to keep and bear arms is a natural, unalienable right protected by the Second Amendment and citizens should not have to go through burdensome and expensive hoops to exercise that right.”

Thoughts on this? I know some states allow what's called constitutional carry and it's the exact same thing. Turns out that these states have relatively low crime rates.

Edited by J. Ascencio 1st MRB

Of course they have low crime rates. You wouldn't try and rob someone who has their own gun, would you? I have mixed feelings about that. On one side, you never know who might have a gun, and on the other, you don't know if a person carrying a weapon is insane or a criminal. Road rage could be taken to whole new level.

Edited by J. Hill 1st MRB

YERR go Kansas :P but yeah coming from Kansas originally, that bill works for most of Kansas cause there's not that many big cities or towns out that way. Kansas didn't have a high crime rate before the bill even,

hell I grew up in a house where people would knock and come in w.o even waiting for a reply. lol only time we locked our house was when there was like a small break in spree nearby and when my parents went out of town.

as for big cities and more heavily populated areas, it does become a issue like hill said, who is to say someone doesn't take something the wrong way and in rage shoot someone else, or something along those lines.

I am personally for CC but I still think you should have paperwork to go with it, i.e. fill out said form and turn into government office so they know who has one. possibly with a medical screening, to ensure proper mental state.

that and its safer for officers if you get pulled over for speeding or something, just hand them the permit when they ask for your license and ask them how they wish to handle it.

Looking at this from my northern (Canadian) perspective it is kinda scary, the gun laws in the US are a big problem for the Canadian and Mexican governments for several reasons. 1st when tourists attempt to cross the border with firearms (especially handguns) it poses a law problem, in Canada you are not allowed to carry a handgun with you at all unless being transported to or from a range, or hunting (while there is a permit you can technically get the offices that issue the permit have all said they will not issue them); 2nd the majority of illegal and smuggled gun come in from the US because how easy it is for people to get a gun there and cross one of the many lakes, forests, and open terrain along the border.

Next is the opinion part I don't like the US gun laws, no I am a gun enthusiast I am working on getting my license and I wouldn't like it if my firearm became illegal but from everything I see the laws the US have don't work because they're toothless i.e. Background check required? well you can legally make your own guns and purchase ammo without one, want a gun you cannot get in one state? the next state has them. Next the laws aren't stable, while I have some complaints with the native gun laws we have I prefer them because I know what they are and I know what they'll most likely be in 20 years, whereas the US is constantly changing them (or attempting to do so) and the outcry is insane.

As for the second amendment itself the right for a citizen to have guns to protect themselves against an oppressive government is frankly bullshit if it was about this people would be arguing for the rights to have Rocket launchers, ICBMs, Tanks, fighter aircraft.

If you like guns i'm fine with that (I do to) but argue for the right to have them for something other than self defense; what research I've done shows arming people in a dangerous situation just makes it more dangerous.

ex. you have a bank robbed and John Doe a good citizen who owns his own guns and always has a concealed carry on him decides to be the hero, problem is John Doe has no training on how to act and pulls his gun and tries to shoot the robbers dead. Well now the police have to deal with protecting any person still in the bank, disarm the Robbers and a new Mystery gunman, second John Doe misses and panics now we have someone pumped on all the chemicals your body produced when in danger without the training (like military or law enforcement) to overcome this and act in a calm rational manner.