Unresolved - And the winner for Highest Ping is... Newman

Newman 1st MRB

Question

Name: William Newman

Type of issue: Ping

Brief Description of Issue: High ping. Tired of contending with it. I downloaded pingplotter and recorded a bit. Here is the screenshot.

New_PingPlotter.jpg

***Medical Supply Staff ONLY Below this line***

Current Status: Unresolved

Researching

Pending Reply

Resolved

Unresolved

Main Technician: Zino Duckers

Supporting Technician:

Edited by Candy 1st MRB

8 answers to this question

Additionally do you know how to run a Fat Packet Ping Test and Trace Route's on your connection? If you can this information could be very helpful. However if you do decide to share your Trace route information be sure to block out the IP's of the first 4 hops on your connection as that is your Substation; Hub; Home and Private Router, which is a bit sensitive.

Additionally I don't know that Ping Plotter's server is the best to be a baseline for you in any event. My Ping Statistics from a Fat Packet Ping Test to their server is as follows:

Ping statistics for 219.92.151.75:

Packets: Sent = 75, Received = 75, Lost = 0 (0% loss),

Approximate round trip times in milli-seconds:

Minimum = 208ms, Maximum = 241ms, Average = 212ms

Wereas my stats for Akamai:

Ping statistics for 23.6.29.233:

Packets: Sent = 57, Received = 57, Lost = 0 (0% loss),

Approximate round trip times in milli-seconds:

Minimum = 89ms, Maximum = 102ms, Average = 91ms

What are your average ping to the public server? Mine is Min: 92 Max 109 Ave: 100 with no loss 63 packets sent. If you need the commands for Windows or iOS to run these tests let me know.

Now even given the disparity in results your ping to akamai looks a bit high and it may be something you will have to work with your ISP on. Ensure to change out cabling if on a wired connection and get the fuck off WiFi if your not. If a Firmware update of your Gateway/Router doesn't resolve the issue you may need to perform a factory default of the device; but even that may not help resolve the issue for you if it is on the ISP's end and not a failing of your Hardware/Cabling.

TL;DR pingplotter servers are bad, can try some more in depth networking tasks to resolve but ultimately could be your Provider.

Edited by Marsden 1st MRB

From experience, if you can graph the same levels of latency on different computers, it is usually a provider or router issue. Along with the 3 complete interruptions of service (those red lines in the graph) within the span of 6 minutes, this points to an issue either from your home to the ISP (i.e. outside lines or router, the latter which can be fixed by just requesting a new one or updating it), or the ISP itself. I'd recommend calling them up and telling them you believe you have a frequency issue; tell them it has been happening for a month or two; tell them your income requires a reliable internet connection; do whatever it takes to get them to schedule someone to come out and test it. Even if it ISN'T a frequency issue, they will send someone out. Do not let that person leave without them either admitting they can't figure it out, or telling you what it is. They will bring a new router to try out, since that's usually the problem with these things. If that doesn't work, they'll escalate your situation to someone who CAN fix it.

I did this with Time Warner about a year ago, told them it was a frequency issue (which they have to manually test on site) and it ended up forcing them to fix lines into the house and 6 months of work...but it DID eventually fix the problem when nothing else would.

ultimately could be your Provider.

This was my first instinct. If the problem on a trace route is not on your home network, it is probably just outside of it since it is affecting all connections. And if it is just outside of your network, then that points to ISP

ran into a problem like this myself. Turned out to be the ground connection on the outside line. Water got onto it and eventually corroded it. Make sure they check that.

Edited by J. Hill 1st MRB